1200 calories a day.

Options
I'd love to see some suggestions/ideas on how people achieve 1200 calories a day but hit their targets for macros, especially things like protein and iron?
Cheers

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    When you set your calorie goal at 1200, it also scales down how many grams of this and that proportionally. I would begin by just eating what you like and seeing how you tally up, and then looking for new recipes that provide more protein, fats, or carbs if you are under in any of those things. Don't overthink it.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    On my non lifting days my goal is 1200 calories and 118g protein. It can be hard to hit that goal so I eat at least a couple of eggs and tuna, and try to have a good slab o' meat for dinner. I generally have to make up my protein with whey isolate and milk at the end of the day though. Also eating slices of turkey breast although I don't like meat so late in the day. And I take a multi vitamin for iron, which I am always low on, even though I eat a lot of supposedly iron rich foods. It can be frustrating but you do the best you can.
  • MelanieBruce1
    MelanieBruce1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    protein is pretty easy. Iron, I do not track. But Fiber is a tough one..
  • mcesira
    mcesira Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the things I enjoy and have the protein I need. Eggs, tuna and avocado with salad, nuts and nut butters, and yogurt help and taste great, too! Best wishes to you!
  • Sillybee727
    Sillybee727 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    For protein within 1200 I do yogurt, chicken breast, pumpkin seeds, skim milk
  • TheChesireCat
    TheChesireCat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Protein shake, lean meats, egg whites.
  • rellie25
    rellie25 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic and controlling the carbs is a PIA. I also have to keep my fat very low because of potential pancreatitis. The fiber is no problem, I'm always over. I'll steam turnip, carrots, and boil cabbage, a pear or two, and all of a sudden, I'm over my baseline. There aren't too many veggies I don't like. (okay, I lie, can't do okra ... tried and tried!)
    I'd forgotten about Hard Boiled egg slices on salads, etc. I've been low on protein. That's a great way to do it. Thanks for the impetus!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Set macros to 20/20/60. All be good!
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 60g oats with almond milk and chia
    Lunch : 250g steak with 150g mixed vegetables with 15g cheese melted over
    Dinner: 100g rotisserie chicken thigh meat with 200g potato with 15g cheese melted over.

I do eat exercise calories back though, so I eat closer to 1500. But I net 1280.

Doesn't count? Okay.
  • sherrifoster123
    sherrifoster123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, beans. That's a good variety of my diet for protein. Fiber just comes when I eat more green veggies and take a multivitamin. Sometimes if I eat a granola bar.
  • tappleby_14
    tappleby_14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started where you are but learned 1200 is too low and can ruin your metabolism. Most people can usually eat at a much higher calorie count with exercise and proper macros! It's hard to raise them but trust the process! Its better to start high and lower them as needed. Good luck!!
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200-1300. I haven't been worrying much about hitting macros lately--just focusing on keeping calories in check.

But, when I'm watching macros, I usually try to hit my proteins (first priority), keep my carbs reasonable (under 100g), and let my fats fill in the rest. I only keep my carbs down under 100 because I'm less hungry that way and seem to keep my cravings under control.

I make veggies protein the focus of most meals (when I'm on track with my macros). Omlet with veggies. Grilled chicken on a huge salad or with a side of veggies. Beans on a salad or as a side, etc. I usually treat grains/carbs as a side dish or indulgence instead of the main dish. That way they don't crowd out protein or veggies. And I eat a serving or two of fruit per day.

Sample:
    Breakfast--egg & egg white omlet w/veggies
    Lunch--huge Asian salad w/chicken & dressing or tuna in lettuce, maybe add fruit or crackers
    Snack--protein drink or hard boiled eggs, or cheese stick and an apple
    Dinner-- fish taco with guac and black beans (might forgo the corn tortilla(s) if I ate more carbs earlier) or sirloin steak & mushrooms with broccoli
    Dessert--piece of chocolate or small serving of ice cream if I have room. Maybe berries instead. Or popcorn.

I know lots of people love carbs and lose eating them. And I have too. I just feel best when I keep them down and it's also an easy way for me to save calories (but stay full) so I can have dessert instead.