Plateau

Options
Ok I believe weighing once per week is definitely the way to go but this week decided to weigh daily to notice the zigzag pattern ppl talk about. From Monday I have gained every day, I am now 3lb heavier than I was on Monday morning while working at a 500/1 deficit wearing my fitbit HR Argh! Any ideas?

Replies

• sfriel68
    sfriel68 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    500 /1k * that should have read
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I weighed 2 lbs less after my run this morning than I did immediately before. I have now put those 2 lbs back on. Last night I weighed 2 lbs more than that.
    My weight is trending down over weeks and months, not days. You need more data before you can find a reliable pattern.
  • sfriel68
    Options
    Yes I realise this, just trying not to panic lol
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would be better to go back to weekly weigh ins? I personally (obviously) find the fluctuations fascinating, but I can understand the anxiety they could cause.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Weigh 5 times daily so you can see just how unreliable that is for discerning a pattern.
    Perhaps it will break you from thinking the scale is even telling half the story - which it's not.

Or it will make it blatantly obvious you need to have someone take that scale and hide it, because you'll likely become too obsessive over what it says, no matter any other signs of body improvement.

After all - most people don't invite others in to see them weigh naked on the scale in the morning - nor do they wear it around their neck with sign stating what goal weight is and current weight.
    People see YOU - not the scale.

Unless you are doing a weight class for MMA or boxing or wrestling.
  • sfriel68
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Weigh 5 times daily so you can see just how unreliable that is for discerning a pattern.
    Perhaps it will break you from thinking the scale is even telling half the story - which it's not.

Or it will make it blatantly obvious you need to have someone take that scale and hide it, because you'll likely become too obsessive over what it says, no matter any other signs of body improvement.

After all - most people don't invite others in to see them weigh naked on the scale in the morning - nor do they wear it around their neck with sign stating what goal weight is and current weight.
    People see YOU - not the scale.

Unless you are doing a weight class for MMA or boxing or wrestling.

Yeh I have tried weighing numerous times in the day in the past, just always put that fluctuation down to food and liquid still to be digested lol #feelingnieve
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Food weighs perhaps up to 1 lb even on plate.
    Drink is perhaps over that if drinking more than 16 ozs.
    And whatever the weight of the food/liquid eaten - same weight once digested, merely the difference between on it's way through your body, and actually taken into your body. Some of course remains on it's way through.

Bigger reasons has to do with exercise and the fact of being in a diet.
    Your glucose stores in muscles, with attached water - are lower than potential level. So less water weight.
    But eat a bigger carb meal - that good water weight shoots up and your metabolism increases along with LBM.
    Conversely you eat tad lower carbs than normal or a hard cardio workout and lose some of those.
    Or you are sore from a good hard workout and body retains water for repair work.
    Or so hard it's almost injuried and water retained in inflammation.
    Or you ate slightly more or less sodium compared to normal average amount, so weight up and down. Or it takes a few days to drop what was gained fast.

Some imagine that an 8 oz piece of bread eaten with 16 oz's of water will somehow weigh more than 24 oz's once it goes in the body. Ah, no, actually less if you count the fact some energy burned merely processing it and not all is.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    weight loss is NOT linear. weight fluctuates. mine can vary up to 7 pounds in a DAY. look for the overal trend you are NOT in a plateau. that is 6 weeks of NO loss.

zkkomprlzhyp.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K