PCOS!! Looking for accountability buddy

Options
Hey there!! I'm 24 from PA and new to the community part of MFP. I've used MFP off and on for a couple years but this time I'm determined to stick to it. I was diagnosed with PCOS since I was 16 and haven't been successful with weight loss. I always start out strong doing everything needed but then I get bored and stop. So I guess what I'm looking for is someone to help keep me motivated and keep me accountible. I need and want to lose the weight. I hope I can find others who feel the same way I do and we can help motivate each other :)

Replies

• Royals00
    Royals00 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hey there! I was actually diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 so I can relate. I'm open...we all need some motivation! ☺
  • bunnerfly
    bunnerfly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'll join in!

I was just diagnosed last year, at the age of 33!! I had been on birth control for a while, and when I went off of it, within a year my hair was falling out, I gained weight and couldn't lose it, and had a bunch of symptoms that pointed to hormonal imbalance. I was terrified that being on birth control had kicked me into early menopause, but nope. PCOS. Unfortunately, I was already on my way to diabetes (insulin resistance) when I was diagnosed. :|
  • jgerv91
    jgerv91 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I was actually diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 so I can relate. I'm open...we all need some motivation! ☺

What are things that have worked for you?
  • aimsz
    aimsz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just diagnosed this week from an ultrasound and labwork. I always suspected it though and had weight loss surgery 6 weeks ago. I'd like to be friends on MFP if you want a buddy!
  • jgerv91
    Options
    aimsz wrote: »
    Hi I was just diagnosed this week from an ultrasound and labwork. I always suspected it though and had weight loss surgery 6 weeks ago. I'd like to be friends on MFP if you want a buddy!

I would so appreciate a buddy!! Not sure how to add people though
  • jgerv91
    Options
    bunnerfly wrote: »
    I'll join in!

I was just diagnosed last year, at the age of 33!! I had been on birth control for a while, and when I went off of it, within a year my hair was falling out, I gained weight and couldn't lose it, and had a bunch of symptoms that pointed to hormonal imbalance. I was terrified that being on birth control had kicked me into early menopause, but nope. PCOS. Unfortunately, I was already on my way to diabetes (insulin resistance) when I was diagnosed. :|

Yea PCOS is a major pain in the butt and I just want to get a better handle on it so it's not messing with my life anymore. But yea i would like to add you as a buddy but I have no idea how
  • allycat8914
    allycat8914 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year at the age of 25. I have struggled with my weight almost my entire life, even when k was in sports and active I still had a belly. I suspected for awhile that I may have it but was too scared to get checked until I met my husband who encouraged me to. He's very supportive but it's not the same as having someone with the same struggles that you can relate to. I'd like to be your friend to keep each other motivated and talk if you'd like :smile:
  • ElleMac114
    ElleMac114 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I'm currently being tested for PCOS but all the signs are there. Hair thinning on head but thick and growing on back, arms, face etc. worst acne I've ever experienced causing scarring all over back, arms and chest (been started on Oxytetracycline for this), irregular periods, cannot lose weight and feel lethargic as hell. Waiting on blood tests and an ultrasound for this but doctor is pretty convinced already. Would be nice to have some support from friends who are in the same boat.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    Hey Everyone, PCOS Sufferer here. Wasn't diagnosed until 2012 (age 26). I have always struggled with weight, facial hair, acne - you name it. We are all here to support each other. I will add you all. We CAN DO THIS!!!! xxx
  • Heidy1992
    Heidy1992 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was also, diagnosed at 18. I got overweight and it's so hard but we can all motivate each other and we will all succeed.
  • musichales
    musichales Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My best friend was diagnosed with PCOS when she was 19 and has now been struggling to conceive for about 3 years. I know the battle is a tough one ladies, but yall have plenty of cheerleaders like me in your corner!!! I am here to support all of you!!! Kill it ladies <3
  • Jperry84
    Jperry84 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was diagnosed with PCOS and hypothyroidism. It really is a struggle to find the right combo for weight loss, but we can do it!! Anyone is free to add me as well!! :)
  • carlykay42
    carlykay42 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21, 3 years ago. I've always struggled with losing weight. I haven't gained though. I'm good at maintaining! Just can't lose any!!! I recently started on metformin, but had surgery and couldn't take it with my pain pills. Please add me for an accountability buddy! I've been on MFP for about 4 months now logging daily and have lost 10 pounds :) I'd love to be a buddy!
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What happened to my post here?
  • jgerv91
    Options
    wesheets wrote: »
    What happened to my post here?

When did you post something. This is the first response I've seen from you. Maybe it didn't go through?
  • halfsizeheather
    halfsizeheather Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used mfp a few years ago to lose weight before getting married and lost over two stone. I kept it off for a while and slowly it's krept up again. I am determined to lose it and keep it off this time!. Has anyone else noticed their symptoms get worse as they lost the weight?. I'm hoping it's my body getting back in balance. I'd love to be a buddy so please feel free to add me girls, let's make 2016 a good one.
  • wesheets
    Options
    Ah well I'll just pretend I am wrong. Ha ha. So, I have PCOS and have been trying to do Keto so that I can lose weight. I stopped taking Metformin cold turkey and gained 10 lbs. overall I'd like to realistically lose about 65 lbs. I'm not sure what will work as each method ive tried has not proved its a go with my body.
  • AHEALTHYAKA
    AHEALTHYAKA Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I am over 40... I know with eating healthier and working out your body does change but at a slower pace.. The key is to find a healthy balance and not to focus so much on the weight... Don't get me wrong I want to see the scale change too... But if that's your focus you are headed to a world of frustration... Take your measurement... Keep up with them... Take pictures of toning poses... Keep track of that you can see progress in so many ways... Add me I am here to support you all...
  • jgerv91
    Options
    wesheets wrote: »
    Ah well I'll just pretend I am wrong. Ha ha. So, I have PCOS and have been trying to do Keto so that I can lose weight. I stopped taking Metformin cold turkey and gained 10 lbs. overall I'd like to realistically lose about 65 lbs. I'm not sure what will work as each method ive tried has not proved its a go with my body.

I've tried not taking the metformin and realized months later after not taking it, that the metformin was helping me lose so much weight that I actually went back on it. I did keto like you as well but couldn't brave the no carb thing too long haha. But I'm sure all together we can figure out something new
  • wesheets
    Options
    jgerv91 wrote: »
    [quote

I've tried not taking the metformin and realized months later after not taking it, that the metformin was helping me lose so much weight that I actually went back on it. I did keto like you as well but couldn't brave the no carb thing too long haha. But I'm sure all together we can figure out something new

Interesting. It has really not been a good experience with all the toilet issues and upset stomach. However I'll speak with my doctor about the benefits of taking it. I haven't done that yet with my PCP. Actually I've read that women in Keto have dropped weight and not had to take Metformin so we'll see