Need help to get motivated to start working out again

Options
Smashleypants027
Smashleypants027 Posts: 17 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey gang, I need a kick in the butt.

I've been doing MFP for 266 days and lost 30 pounds with just diet change (yahoo!) with a goal of 50ish pounds total. I started working out before the Christmas holidays then some life happened and the holidays happened and I haven't picked it back up. I need some motivation getting back in to it.

I'm worried about the first month of working out when the body is adjusting and you end up "gaining weight" (according to the scales, which is normal, yah?). But I think at this stage in the game that's the next step I need to take to lose the weight and to be all badass and healthy.

Help please? Suggestions? Work out tips? Articles? Videos? Giphs of cats lifting weights?

Thanks for letting me rant MFP community <3

Replies

• tappleby_14
    tappleby_14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale...hide it and look at it once a month. You just have to start. And stay consistant. Even if you have *kitten* workouts consistency is key in seeing progress. Do something you enjoy. Don't run if you don't like running. Do something active anything. You won't always like it all of course and you will have off days. But remember how goid it feels afterwards and how much better of a mood your in as a result. Do what works for you but just do it! You got this!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    definitely pick something you enjoy, or it just won't get done. I'd like to be a gym going, fat-burning maniac, but believe me, it just isn't happening. I walk my dog and do yoga right now... building up to some running, and hoping to get myself a bike by spring. I have also done horseback riding, which will make you hurt in places you didn't know you had, but which is also awesome. I've thought about classes too, but I am somewhat of a recluse and I don't have a buddy who will go with me.
  • Smashleypants027
    Options
    Thanks gang :)

And maybe you're right @tappleby_14 I should just put the scale away for a month at a time.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    This thread always inspires me. Yay for strong, sexy ladies:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1120789/females-only-lifting-weight-training-results/p1

You may put on some weight in the beginning but it's WORTH IT!
  • Smashleypants027
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    This thread always inspires me. Yay for strong, sexy ladies:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1120789/females-only-lifting-weight-training-results/p1

You may put on some weight in the beginning but it's WORTH IT!

Thank you! I want to tone and still keep some of my curves (I'm a belly dancer) but these women are badass AF!!!!
  • norasariah
    norasariah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend finding some fun workouts. What I do is find some nice upbeat music, video game soundtracks work great. Then dance to them in 15 minute bursts about two or three times a day if possible. Sometimes I can only fit in just 15 minutes once a day but it's better than nothing.
  • Smashleypants027
    Options
    norasariah wrote: »
    I recommend finding some fun workouts. What I do is find some nice upbeat music, video game soundtracks work great. Then dance to them in 15 minute bursts about two or three times a day if possible. Sometimes I can only fit in just 15 minutes once a day but it's better than nothing.

I could rock out to the Mass Effect soundtrack. This is a solid suggestion. Thank you!
  • tappleby_14
    tappleby_14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks gang :)

And maybe you're right @tappleby_14 I should just put the scale away for a month at a time.

Yea the scale just seems to play mind games instead of help! Love all the other support on here!
  • Smashleypants027
    Options
    Thanks gang :) So here's my new plan:

1) Weigh and measure myself once a month only starting tomorrow
    2) Start working out at least 3 times a week for at least 25 minutes with wicked rad tunes
    3) Take a photo of my body as it is now and retake another one in 6 months
    4) Carry on with my calorie counting as per usual
    5) Start hanging out in the exercise and the fitness board on MFP ;)

Thanks gang!