5k by September....Join me?

Options
Hi, I am not a runner, but I want to loose weight and feel better in my cloths. I have noticed that runners are thin and I want to be thinner. So I have decided to challenge myself and train for the next 2 1/2 months to run in a local 5k. This is going to be a big challenge for me! If you would like to join me ...I would like to have weekly weigh ins, and weekly challenges. I like to weigh myself on Sunday, because Monday is a new week of challenges of eating, and working out. We can check in on Sunday to weigh in and reflect on how the week went ect. :smile:

sw 170
cw 164
gw 130

Replies

• Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Download the C25K app for your phone. (Couch to 5K) It's a great way to train for a 5k. The program is 9 weeks long...plenty of time for you to killl it at your race in Sept!

Good luck!

Oh and I just got done running one this morning. I used C25K to prepare too! Now I will use the B210K app (Bridge to 10K) to work my way up!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I would love to start this! I need to get a watch lol......
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    After all the suggestions, I'm gonna check out the C25K program myself.

Next Sunday (6/26), I will be participating in a 5k walk. Ya. I know it's not the same as running, but maybe a good start???

My goal is to be able to run a 5k in October for my 50th birthday.

We will see...
  • 2befit1
    2befit1 Posts: 26
    Options
    I looked at the c25k program but I dont have an Iphone. It says you need an Iphone?
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    COngrats on your commitment to do a 5K!
    It is certainly intimidating to think about, but totally doable with training.

At 41 years old, I just did my first one last October (Komen for the cure).
    To be honest, I don't really "enjoy" running, but I know its good for me
    and having a challenge motivates me. I've decided to run it again
    this October.

My PT has me currently running 1 mile at a comfortable pace 3X a week.
    I had been doing that for about the past 2-3 week and slowly adding more
    distance, now up to 1.5 miles. I'm to continue adding distance slowly and then
    once comfortably running the 3.1 miles, we will work on speed.
    Currently I'm running on a treadmill at the gym at 5.5 - 5.6 mph. I hope
    to start doing some runs outside as it is different on pavement.

We can do this!

-Jen
  • 2befit1
    Options
    msaip, thanks for goining me. Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • 2befit1
    Options
    Way to go Jen! Add me as a friend if you would like. I know I sure could use motivation and support, we can all help eachother reach our goals!
  • 2befit1
    Options
    Way to go Jen! Add me as a friend if you would like. I know I sure could use motivation and support, we can all help eachother reach our goals!
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    I managed to download it on the Android. Guess that means I should now USE it ;)
  • 2befit1
    Options
    I found C25k on my phone I have a sprint Evo. I found it in the market and used it a couple of hours ago. I liked it, but I can't figure out how to change the voice. I didn't do as well as I wanted today either. My husband had a fire outside last night, I was good and drank tea, it gave me a headache. I woke up this morning coughing and breathing isn't the same, face was all stuffed up. Just from a couple of hours. My energy level is low today, but I still went to the gym. I am not at 100%. I feel hungover and I didn't even drink. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
  • a_dawn
    a_dawn Posts: 47
    Options
    I am planning on starting Monday training for a 5k. I downloaded the C25K for my phone and can't wait to start. I would be great to have friends that are working towards the same thing so we can help motivate and support each other.
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    I just downloaded C25K on my Ipod!! I've heard so many good things about this program and am really excited about!! My goal is to be up to running at least 5K by September, because I am going to run a Warrior Dash then!!!! Good luck!!!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you don't have an I-Phone, just google from couch to 5k and you can print some training schedules. My daughter told me about this because she started running a few years ago and last October, did the Chicago Marathon. She says you have to start somewhere:-)
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Count me in - downloaded c25k just now!
  • 2befit1
    Options
    I forgot to mention that my 5k is on Sept 11th this challenge will end on Sept 11th. (I know this is a sad date in memory) but this is when the race is. So who ever is with me lets get to running. :smile:
  • 2befit1
    Options
    I really liked the C2k5 I can't wait to see how it progresses each day.
  • 2befit1
    Options
    I weighed this morning not good and not bad. The scale didn't move this week.

sw 170
    cw 164

Weight loss so far 6 pounds.
  • yarmiah
    Options
    I weighed in today at 156.4lbs. Hope to lose 1.5 lbs by next week.

Headed to the gym in about an hour, included in my workout will be a 1.5mile run.
  • 2befit1
    Options
    yarmiah, that is great you are getting close to your goal!!
  • yarmiah
    Options
    Monday I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill at 5.5mph (190 calories burned)

Tuesday another 1.5 miles at 5.5mph.

I think after July 4th I'm gonna bump it up to 1.75 miles and work up to 2 miles
    by the end of July