Muscle gain help

Options
Hi I'm Alex just looking for some tips on eating right and getting supplements that can actually help. If anyone has some good plans and tips for weight lifting and mass building. Tips on How to stay motivated at he gym. Just any advice to help me on my journey thanks guys

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If your main goal is to build muscle, then you want to choose a lifting program that is focused on hypertrophy. I'd suggest a program like PHAT or PHUL, you can google them. As far as supplements, you don't need any, just make sure you're eating at a surplus to gain weight and you're eating enough protein.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    If your main goal is to build muscle, then you want to choose a lifting program that is focused on hypertrophy. I'd suggest a program like PHAT or PHUL, you can google them. As far as supplements, you don't need any, just make sure you're eating at a surplus to gain weight and you're eating enough protein.

this ..

and read the posts under "most helpful posts" at the top of this forum.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I think you would be better to get your diet right in order to put on size, before you start looking into Supps.
    If the diet isn't right, supps will be a waste of money for the most part......

For me and depending on what my goals are at the time I set up my calorie/macro intake like this:
    Protein 1.0 gr / lb of body weight (In a bulk, you can get by with 0.8 gr/lb body weight, but I like meat)
    Fat 0.35 gr / lb of body weight (if I want some more fat, I will go with 0.4 gr, you will want to see how you respond with fat, I don't do very well w/ high fat diet)

For carbs if I am trying to bulk then it will be 2.5 - 3.0 x body weight
    If on a cut, I start at 1.5 x body weight, then will drop down to 1.0 x body weight

That is what I have found to work for me....so play with things, and see how you respond.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    I think you would be better to get your diet right in order to put on size, before you start looking into Supps.
    If the diet isn't right, supps will be a waste of money for the most part......

For me and depending on what my goals are at the time I set up my calorie/macro intake like this:
    Protein 1.0 gr / lb of body weight (In a bulk, you can get by with 0.8 gr/lb body weight, but I like meat)
    Fat 0.35 gr / lb of body weight (if I want some more fat, I will go with 0.4 gr, you will want to see how you respond with fat, I don't do very well w/ high fat diet)

For carbs if I am trying to bulk then it will be 2.5 - 3.0 x body weight
    If on a cut, I start at 1.5 x body weight, then will drop down to 1.0 x body weight

That is what I have found to work for me....so play with things, and see how you respond.

Completely agree...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    xTrapp14 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Alex just looking for some tips on eating right and getting supplements that can actually help. If anyone has some good plans and tips for weight lifting and mass building. Tips on How to stay motivated at he gym. Just any advice to help me on my journey thanks guys

The eating advice given by @MityMax96 is good but as for staying motivated that is just going to have to be something that comes from within. My only advice is just find something you enjoy and do it and make sure it becomes part of your lifestyle. Once you make it into a habit then you are more likely to stick with it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Supplements are 100% unnecessary.

There is no secrete to motivation- long term goals and a focus on training will help versus "feeling motivated" to go to the gym- that is just kind of a waste. Just commit to going and doing the things. don't wait for the warm fuzzy- it will always disappoint you.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Pump iron, don't overdue cardio, and set macros at 20/20/60.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    First off - motivation for everyone is different. Personally, I really stepped up my game after scheduling a beach trip in April and a 9-day Yacht trip to Croatia in July where you will literally be in a bathing suit all day every day (that's like, instant motivation, right?!) I stay dedicated by setting little rewards for myself at every goal I accomplish - for example, when I can leg press 20 reps x 4 sets of 260 lbs. then I will be able to buy a high-end bikini that I've been wanting. When I can squat the weight of my boyfriend (180 lbs.) I "unlock" the dresses that I want for my trip. This keeps me going. As for eating right - if you do end up eating back your exercise calories, make sure you do so with clean foods like chicken and veggies in order to keep your muscles packing on size. I've read that it's best to eat protein within 30-minutes of ending a lifting session. Not sure how true this is - but I eat a protein bar when I leave the gym every morning. Cut out unnecessary sugars, and make healthy choices!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    First off - motivation for everyone is different. Personally, I really stepped up my game after scheduling a beach trip in April and a 9-day Yacht trip to Croatia in July where you will literally be in a bathing suit all day every day (that's like, instant motivation, right?!) I stay dedicated by setting little rewards for myself at every goal I accomplish - for example, when I can leg press 20 reps x 4 sets of 260 lbs. then I will be able to buy a high-end bikini that I've been wanting. When I can squat the weight of my boyfriend (180 lbs.) I "unlock" the dresses that I want for my trip. This keeps me going. As for eating right - if you do end up eating back your exercise calories, make sure you do so with clean foods like chicken and veggies in order to keep your muscles packing on size. I've read that it's best to eat protein within 30-minutes of ending a lifting session. Not sure how true this is - but I eat a protein bar when I leave the gym every morning. Cut out unnecessary sugars, and make healthy choices!

It is not necessary to eat clean for weight gain. What matters is that one gets into a calorie surplus, gets adequate nutrition, hits macro nutrients, and follows a structured lifting program.

Please explain to me the science behind increased muscle growth from eating in a surplus of 250 calories of clean food vs dirty food.

Are you really saying that is person A eats 250 calories of oreos as their surplus and hits micros and macros, that they will have less muscle growth then person B that eats 250 calories of chicken and vegetables as their surplus and hits micros and macros? If yes, please provide peer reviewed science to backup your claims.

You can eat sugar and gain weight in a healthy manner.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

A. 20 reps is near the end of the range limit of actually causing muscle adaptation, it is almost aerobic exercise at those levels. I hope you're not one of the people that think low reps, heavy weight will cause "bulky muscles".
    B. If you're not eating off the floor, your food is probably clean enough.
    C. For gaining muscle, a calorie surplus with sufficient protein and fat and micronutrients is about it. Trying to eat cleaner foods will usually make getting the surplus harder.
    D. Actually eating sugar, such as in gummy bears middle or end workout will cause more recovery than a lot of protein bars or protein shakes.
    E. For the most part, if you're regularly eating protein through the day (aren't fasted nor about to fast) eating protein within a window near the end of your workout is unnecessary. Most of the muscle building actually happens in the 24 to 48 after your workout out, not the instant you log your last set on your Facebook status.
  • xTrapp14
    xTrapp14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys!
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

A. 20 reps is near the end of the range limit of actually causing muscle adaptation, it is almost aerobic exercise at those levels. I hope you're not one of the people that think low reps, heavy weight will cause "bulky muscles".
    B. If you're not eating off the floor, your food is probably clean enough.
    C. For gaining muscle, a calorie surplus with sufficient protein and fat and micronutrients is about it. Trying to eat cleaner foods will usually make getting the surplus harder.
    D. Actually eating sugar, such as in gummy bears middle or end workout will cause more recovery than a lot of protein bars or protein shakes.
    E. For the most part, if you're regularly eating protein through the day (aren't fasted nor about to fast) eating protein within a window near the end of your workout is unnecessary. Most of the muscle building actually happens in the 24 to 48 after your workout out, not the instant you log your last set on your Facebook status.

lol, cosigned!
  • ontosinc297
    ontosinc297 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great info here. Glad I found this thread!