Late night food: marking calories for the day before or of?

Options
Hi everyone! Last night around 2am we ordered pizza and I had a couple slices (bad idea I know!) and then went to sleep. So my question is, should I mark those calories for yesterday or today? Any help is great :)

Replies

• tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It won't matter in the long run. Log them on either day.

But for me, I don't go by the time. My new day starts when I wake up. So I would log them on the day before. But really, it won't matter. You could even log half for yesterday and half for today. It's more about a long term deficit.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    If you log it the previous day, then it will be considered food eaten after 6 and immediately stored as fat.

But if you consider anything eaten after midnight it will be considered breakfast, thus jump starting your metabolism.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would log it today since it was today (12 am midnight = new day.) But it doesn't really matter.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    taty626 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Last night around 2am we ordered pizza and I had a couple slices (bad idea I know!) and then went to sleep. So my question is, should I mark those calories for yesterday or today? Any help is great :)

Makes no difference at all. Your body lives continuously, it doesn't reboot at midnight erasing the previous day.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It doesn't technically matter, but my question is, would it have put you over yesterday's calories, and if so, how often are you going over? Is it/will it interfere with your goals?

Personally, I log it on the actual day I eat it.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I treat the morning weigh in as the delimiter between days with respect to eating.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to treat a low blood sugar, and I often log that treatment as part of the previous day's diary (it makes it easier for me to see why I might have went low in the first place if I can also view previous meals that could have contributed to it). I typically view my day from wakeup to wakeup (my diary pretty much starts at 5AM until 5AM the next day).
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If you log it the previous day, then it will be considered food eaten after 6 and immediately stored as fat.

But if you consider anything eaten after midnight it will be considered breakfast, thus jump starting your metabolism.

...LOL. WHAT?!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you log it, It matters THAT you log it.

Personally I use Midnight as my deciding factor. Since I am almost never up that late and therefore not eating it isn't an issue really for me but do sometimes get a drink of water in the middle of the night and I will log it based on whether it was before or after midnight. But that's just how I like to do it.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Say what?!?!?!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I'm on goth time. I log it today. Everything is "today" until you go to sleep. Even if that means pressing the little button and inputting it on a screen that says "yesterday". Goth time.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

:/ I want so badly to believe this was intentional sarcasm to be funny....
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

I never take advice from an analrapist

ml2n2weqj0a3.jpg
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    On Friday nights I work cleaning the gym (free membership, couple extra bucks) and I don't get off until about 11:30 pm. By the time I get home and eat it's Saturday morning. But it's still my Friday dinner so I log it that way. I agree that in the long run, it doesn't matter. I weigh in and take my stats weekly and I also review the MFP Weekly Nutrition stats as well and see how it all averaged out.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I love all the Arrested Development in this thread
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

:/ I want so badly to believe this was intentional sarcasm to be funny....

I'm 100% sure it was sarcasm.

English seriously needs a sarcasm punctuation mark or font or something.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

This is one of the best posts I've ever seen on MFP.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Solid advice. Thanks for the info.