Weight Watchers Refugee

Options
I've been in online Weight Watchers since 2009 and lost 50 pounds. A few months ago, about the time Oprah came on-board, they changed the format and now it is almost impossible to navigate. I lost my years of data, list of foods, and my group of long-time friends. Plus they charge $20 a month.
Out of despearation, I joined MFP Premium and it IS working for me. I have about five pounds to lose to get back to my goal weight. The reason I have kept that 50 pounds off for seven years is tracking everything I consume. When I stop tracking, that weight starts to creep up again.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Heya, I'm a former WWer from way back and you're not alone - there appear to be a lot of people jumping ship after the new changes. I've been on MFP for a couple years now, have lost 75lbs and keep plugging away at the last 20.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Welcome Oprah.
  • JackieMaughan
    JackieMaughan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, Alatarie175. I'm Jackie. Seventy-five pounds is impressive. I was in heaven when I lost the 50 pounds and it was because of Weight Watchers online.
    In addition to MFP's database, I love how it interfaces with my android and tablet. I never could get the WW apps to do that. So I can be at a gym or more importantly, a fast food joint, and I can put those calories into MFP pronto before I forget them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    maugjacq wrote: »
    Hi, Alatarie175. I'm Jackie. Seventy-five pounds is impressive. I was in heaven when I lost the 50 pounds and it was because of Weight Watchers online.
    In addition to MFP's database, I love how it interfaces with my android and tablet. I never could get the WW apps to do that. So I can be at a gym or more importantly, a fast food joint, and I can put those calories into MFP pronto before I forget them.

Agreed, I do like that it is there on my phone when I want it. I'll give you the big tip - logging fruit and veg is the biggest change/shock to the system. But in the end it makes a lot of sense and becomes second nature! Not to mention the community set up there was ancient and cumbersome. MFP isn't perfect, but I find the social aspect a lot better.
  • JackieMaughan
    Options
    I do miss the free fruits, but switching to calories has been easy. I also love being able to track micronutrients at will. I am a weight-lifter so always pay attention to protein...and fiber too for obvious reasons...but lately I've been watching my iron intake.
    Like you mention, the WW community set-up is another feature that became impossible. It just got worse and worse until I could not find my friends or old groups at all.
  • JackieMaughan
    Options
    Welcome Oprah.

Are you gonna be constructive or just "clever"?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I am a refugee as well. Old one. Never experienced the new WW format. I love MFP. So much better and you will find the forums helpful but also fun as @paulandrachelk pointed out.
  • JackieMaughan
    Options
    How much did you lose on WW? I did mine online and lost 50#. It felt like a miracle and I've been SO happy.
  • sarahanne1125
    sarahanne1125 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm down 32lbs on WW... but the new program is killing me. It's not so much the program, it's the app & the website! I too am having a hard time tracking, so I've been trying mfp. I am debating quitting ww, but I'm really scared to lose my meeting group. We're a tight group, & I love my leader. But idk if it's worth the $$ anymore. When I track on ww & mfp I feel like I'm being accurate on both, but I often come up over on ww points, but mfp says I need to eat more....what's up with THAT? I don't know what to do. .. . .. :-/
  • CroneStar
    CroneStar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm switching over from WW to MFP. The new program they introduced has been a big problem for me to stick to. Plus their website is so annoying to navigate.
  • seaberry09
    seaberry09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity I logged my day on MFP (including all fruits and veg). A typical WW day with a smartpoints target of 30 was less than 1000 calories!!! What the hell, WW?!? I think I'm switching back to MFP
  • JackieMaughan
    Options
    I had to quit because I found it impossible to track my foods. After five years on WW, I had a lot of them and the new app would not let me access my tons of old data. Plus I was being charged $20 a month!
  • JackieMaughan
    Options
    I'm down 32lbs on WW... but the new program is killing me. It's not so much the program, it's the app & the website! I too am having a hard time tracking, so I've been trying mfp. I am debating quitting ww, but I'm really scared to lose my meeting group. We're a tight group, & I love my leader. But idk if it's worth the $$ anymore. When I track on ww & mfp I feel like I'm being accurate on both, but I often come up over on ww points, but mfp says I need to eat more....what's up with THAT? I don't know what to do. .. . .. :-/

One of my WW buddies is staying on WW because she, like you, loves her friends. However, she joined a free online program like My Fitness Pal because WW's tracking app is hideous.
  • JackieMaughan
    Options
    I prefer WW's Points Plus system and lost faster on it than on MFP
    However, like I said, WW's tracking app is awful. I complained repeatedly that they had messed it up when they retooled about six eight months ago. They promised to get the bugs out and mean time I just kept getting fatter and broker! :o:'(
  • JackieMaughan
    Options
    maugjacq wrote: »

One of my WW buddies is staying on WW because she, like you, loves her friends. However, she joined a free online program like My Fitness Pal because WW's tracking app is hideous.

I'd track with MFP and keep up the WW group, esp. because you love your leader!