How long until you started feeling different?

Options
I was just wondering how long it took you guys to start feeling the difference in yourself. I'm starting to struggle getting my head around "changes"

Been committed for almost a month now and I'm already a stone down! (Hooray, yay) Aiming to lose a further two more.
Anyway, this week I've had several people comment on how healthy I'm looking and questioning if I've lost weight so logically, it must be noticeable.

So why don't I feel like it? Why am I still feeling like a whale? Maybe my clothes are fitting better, I'm not sure, I can't see it personally but others have said so. This is probably a strange thing to moan about.

Replies

• faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's not strange at all, don't worry! I remember the days when I'd lost 3 or 4 pounds and I knew mentally that it was a great loss but I'd then look at myself and not really notice anything - unfortunately it can take a while for your body and mind to reconcile. It may be worth you taking your measurements so that you'll be able to 'see' physical loss. One thing they don't warn you is that there will be lots of little changes which you're not expecting both mentally and physically but remember we are all individuals, what's happening to others may not happen to you and what works for others may not work for you and vice versa.

You are doing GREAT, remember that :)
  • laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am down 8.8 pounds since Jan 1st and have lost 9 inches. Make sure to take your measurement they are way more motivating then the number on the scale :)
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    i know for me, i'm my own worst critic. when I was 18 years old and decided to lose weight, i had friends and family telling me i didn't need to, i looked fine, etc etc. i wasn't happy with my weight and knew i had to do something about it. it didn't really "click" for me until months of losing weight, i was waiting for a bus on campus, sitting on a concrete bench and my butt bones started getting sore. i didn't have as much padding back there, and it wasn't until then that i felt like i can made a real accomplishment, even though that was about 30-40 pounds down after i started. you see yourself everyday, so the small changes aren't as noticeable to people who only see you every couple weeks or so, or don't really take close looks at you often.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am only just really being able to see the changes in my body visually. My friends have been noticing for months. What I really noticed is more that I suddenly could do things physically that I could not do before. Simple things like sitting on a floor 2with my legs straight ahead and slightly leaning forward. Having more room between me and the steering wheel in my car. Looking down while sitting and not seeing my stomach(this weirded me out for some reason).

I have also really noticed the changes in my body shape, not by sight but by feel. It might sound odd but I can run my hands over my belly and sides when I go to bed at night and I can feel hollow areas that were once round and I notice the dramatic shrinking of the fat roll that was my belly. When I look in the mirror I just can't see those changes. Measurements don't reflect them much either. I also can see muscle definition that was not there in the not so distant past and am just beginning to be able to see it.

The changes are real and for me the best encouragement that I a progressing even though I have a hard time seeing the changes visually and even the scale isn't shifting very much. I would say at this time I am going through a period of weight redistribution rather than loss. But it is still improvement.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've lost 6kg and I still feel the same. I'll only feel slim once I can see a difference in my face.
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's just so frustrating. Being so disappointed after doing so well. I never expected to be a stone down so quickly and enjoy the process so much, I should be thrilled.

I'll try and get my hands on some measuring tape and start on that from here. Hips, waist, chest & thighs seem like sensible measurements to take?
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ...I'll try and get my hands on some measuring tape and start on that from here. Hips, waist, chest & thighs seem like sensible measurements to take?

That's what I measure. I even did my arms too, since that's sort of an area I'm personally self-conscious about. Just keep on going! If others are commenting on your progress than you're obviously making some!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I still look in the mirror and see what I have always seen. I have to remind myself that I've gone down several clothing sizes and lost major inches and 26 lbs, because my brain has just not caught up yet. It sees what it thinks it should see, and not what's really there. But I have a plethora of evidence suggesting otherwise, so I just cling to that. The Success Stories people all say the same thing: you'll adjust eventually.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Took about a week for me to realize I was feeling better and gaining a small amount of strength. A month to get in the habit and notice a significant difference in body shape. Now at three-months I'm almost addicted to the gym and diet habits that I've become accustomed to. Noticing changes every time I go - including increased weights, more endurance and physical changes.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I too have lost exactly 1 stone since 28th December. I'm 5'11" and currently 270lbs. I don't look even a little bit different, with or without clothes but I've been here before and didn't expect too. The number on the scales is what gets me out of bed on the mornings, I weigh every day and that's personal preference, I'm excited that if I lose just 1lb more, I will be in the 18 stones.. I'm concentrating on the scales and my body can deal with the 'appearance thing'