New to Dieting

Options
Ok, so over the last year or more I have put on about 25 lbs. I have always been very active and my jobs have always entailed being fit for duty (LEO and Marines). The issue I am seeing now is that I have had string of issues (gout, Pnemonia) that have hindered me from being able to work out. This is by far the heaviest I have every been and the unhealthiest I have ever been.

I have been dieting (more or less) by just kinda of taking out all soda and candy or high sugar stuff but I know i need to do more. I do desk work now so eating healthy is my first step and the one step I am not very familiar with (never needed to be). I enjoy the process that is ahead of me in the "work out" department but dieting seems foreign to me.

I guess I am honestly asking for a meal plan or idea regarding losing weight. Portion sizes? Different kinds of snacks etc.

Thanks in advance.

JP

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just plot in your stats into MFP, steer away from the most aggressive weight loss rate, and follow the guidelines the program gives you. Use the food diary, weigh all your food. You can eat anything you want, and time your meals/snacks to fit you, but you'll soon learn what works for you and what to tweak in order to hit your nutritional goals.
  • jonathanparsons83
    Options
    I am not really sure which goals are the best to track
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    By order of importance, unless tracking for explicit medical issues: 1) Calories (mandatory) 2) Protein, fat, carbs 3) Fiber
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss goal low -- like one pound a week or one half pound a week.
    Focus on adding foods: beans, chic peas, lentils, yogurt, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, other greens, mushrooms, green beans, snow peas, carrots, onions, squash.
    Easy snacks: leftovers from the day before, hard boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, fruit.
    My FitnessPal has a recipe blog that includes calorie counts.
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/eat/recipes/snacks/
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Some foods and beverages can increase the risk for gout. Start with giving up sweetened beverages and Google the list of purines. Or ask your doctor.