Processed Foods

Options
I hear every trainer on weight loss reality shows say to stay away from processed foods. Are frozen healthy meals, like Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, Healthy Choice, etc., considered processed foods?

Replies

• Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    yes..

What everyone is talking about is the sodium content...look at one of the "frozen healthy meals" once. The sodium is through the roof!!!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I still use frozen food though ... plain veggies, fruit and fish.
    You can very easily make your own convenience meals from scratch without a lot of effort.
    Cook up a few chicken breasts, fish fillets or whatever protein you like, add some frozen veggies and a starch if you eat them and portion them out in containers for the week.

You'll eliminate all the excess sodium and sugar and whatever else they add to the processed frozen entrées.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is processed food.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    From what I've been learning recently, it isn't just the sodium that nutritionists are concerned about with processed foods. It's also the calorie density and glycemic index of those foods - processing foods usually makes them more calorie dense than they are in their natural form, meaning you need to eat more to fill yourself up and feel full. The glycemic index is important because it has to do with how quickly your body absorbs the carbs and how it uses them. Someone else recently posted this video - it's quite lengthy (over an hour) but I think this scientist really raises a lot of critical issues and gives out some good information, particularly in the Q & A afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo&feature=share
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I hear every trainer on weight loss reality shows say to stay away from processed foods. Are frozen healthy meals, like Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, Healthy Choice, etc., considered processed foods?

Yes. Do yourself a huge favor and buy yourself some chicken breasts, a rice and or pasta that you prefer, and your preference in vegetables and just prep at home ahead of time. You may save some money in the long run too.

I'm also really like Turkey Cutlets, high protein and almost no fat.
  • celestedavis
    celestedavis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Go for as close to nature as possible, then all the sodium and carbs you get will be useable by the body rather than stored! That means, as close to how it came off the plant or out of the animal.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    yes, processed and very unhealthy for you
  • dulcy
    dulcy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    if you use them for convenience try batch cooking & freezing favourite meals. That way you have 'ready meals' in the freezer but you know what's in them. Well worth the little bit of time & effort invested :drinker:
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    My trainer told me to limit them as much as possible. I still eat them sometimes if I am busy and didn't preplan :(
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I use frozen veggies... the TJ Farms ones are really low in sodium. I will pan fry some chicken or fish. Season it with various herbs like garlic, onion, green onions, black pepper... if I have it there is a Cajun seasoning that is only 50 mg of sodium per serving. I'll either cook brown rice or whole wheat pasta. The veggies my favorite way to prep them is to simply put hot water over them till they are completely thawed and toss them in with the chicken. I add a little apple cider vinegar. Then toss the veggies and chicken with the pasta or rice. With the fish I simply put it on top of whatever I am eating it with. Often with the chicken I"ll make 4 meals out of it... the fish doesn't do well so I usually make that when my kids are home so they can eat it with me. The difference in that and a prepared meal is (1) I get more food... for about the same amount of calories and a heck of alot less sodium with no food preservatives
  • bjdust
    bjdust Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I buy the frozen Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals to have for lunch because they're convenient. It looks like I'll be thinking twice about them from now on.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    "If man made it, don't eat it."