At how many pounds.. do others start noticing?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would also add that weight loss is usually a pretty gradual process...the people who see you on a daily basis are less likely to notice until some aspect of your physique substantially changes.
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My first comment was at 45 lbs lost. Now, when they finally did say something they said they'd noticed for a while but didn't want to say anything. So I can't really say.
  • Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    It's funny because If I lose 5lbs it's not noticeable. (my dog is 5lbs) I lost 8 so far.. not a word from anyone.. so when? 10lbs? 15? Just curious... I wonder if losing an infant is when people notice?

I have lost 32 pounds since jan 1 and still nobody seems to notice. LOL

I told my friend that's how i know i was WAY to large... when you lose 30 pounds and nobody can tell!! LOL

I think my age and the fact that it's cold and I'm wearing long johns layers and sweaters.

Here's a funny for ya... I had a goatee and when i shaved it off people started sayen you've lost weight and you look younger. I had not lost any weight at that time but hey I'll take the you look younger part any time i get it!!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I saw this graphic on line that said something like it takes 4 weeks for you to notice, 8 weeks for those close to you, and 12 for the world or something like that.

Held pretty true to me. Although OH was saying after two weeks that he noticed changes, but I'm assuming he was just being my cheerleader. At 30lbs lost, I talked to a coworker (who was a dietitian) and told her what I was doing and asked her advice, and she said she had noticed. Shortly after coworkers started commenting, so I think maybe they all were uncomfortable saying things?
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with 20 to 30. I also think they noticed my change in attitude before they noticed the weight. I was told I seemed much more energetic and happy. I just think it took a while for people to feel comfortable enough to mention the weight. It's a sensitive subject, after all.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My first comments were at 10 pounds but the majority of comments came at 15. I'm also 5'9" so I feel like the height helps.
  • VoiceWithNoValue
    VoiceWithNoValue Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well, for me the first comment came from my teacher at around 2 KG lost(the fastest comment ever said in my life; during school years..). During my school years people notice quite fast, especially the teachers, even if it's just a few pounds off. I guess it's just that how comfortable they are to tell you about your loss than when they actually notice. They might noticed sooner, but decided to say nothing due to some stuff like not wanting to offend you, or culture.
  • betterthanyesterday69
    Options
    I have lost almost 160 in a year and some still haven't noticed! :smile:
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    30 pounds was the area for me.. It went from no one saying anything to people saying, "Woah! You've lost so much weight!" lol
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First,
    You are a roll of paper towels.
    The first paper towel you take off
    the roll is large, you just can't tell
    But by the last towel, the roll seems to shrink so fast
    by just taking off one towel.

Why? Because the fewer towels there are on the roll, the larger percentage of what's on the roll each towel is. The more you lose, the higher percent of your body weight each pound is. (If you weigh 200 lbs, losing 1 lb is 0.5% of your body weight. If you weigh 100 lbs, losing 1 lb is losing 1% of your body weight.)

Second,
    If you are exercising a lot and putting on muscle, then it may take a litttttttle bit longer to become visible.

If you're really interested, start doing body measurements (waits/hips/arms/thighs), not just scale weight.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How much did you weigh when you started, and what is your goal weight? Based on that, I can tell you when people will start to notice. If you started at 300 lbs, it's unlikely anyone will notice an 8 lb decrease. If you started at 130, 8 pounds is very noticeable, for example.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    nadler64 wrote: »
    Depends where you start. I wanted to lose 25 pounds (and have); people started noticing at about 10 when my pants got baggy and my face got a little thinner. Several friends actually asked me if I was OK - knowing that I have chronic health issues, they were afraid I was ill again.

I lost but want to lose about 10 more.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    First,
    You are a roll of paper towels.
    The first paper towel you take off
    the roll is large, you just can't tell
    But by the last towel, the roll seems to shrink so fast
    by just taking off one towel.

Why? Because the fewer towels there are on the roll, the larger percentage of what's on the roll each towel is. The more you lose, the higher percent of your body weight each pound is. (If you weigh 200 lbs, losing 1 lb is 0.5% of your body weight. If you weigh 100 lbs, losing 1 lb is losing 1% of your body weight.)

Second,
    If you are exercising a lot and putting on muscle, then it may take a litttttttle bit longer to become visible.

If you're really interested, start doing body measurements (waits/hips/arms/thighs), not just scale weight.
    Good way to look at it. I lost weight in my fingers. Lol.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm officially at about 25, unofficially closer to 30 & it's just started to be a'thing.' At first people who know me just said things like 'oh you look well' or 'did you cut your hair?' but now they worm me into a corner & say 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING??' And all of a sudden complete strangers tell me I look just like my skinny daughters.
  • madisonmarino95
    madisonmarino95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    20 pounds:)