protein shakes vs Whole Food?

Options
I've been supplementing some of my meals with whey protein shakes (220calories per 60g powder and 350ml semi skimmed milk). I exercise to a point of exhaustion for 5 days of approximately 30-45 minutes per session. I am loving this stuff! Keeps me full longer and along with loosing weight I have seen my leg muscles looking very tidy indeed. I must emphasise, I do eat whole healthy food in between my daily diet! What experience does anyone else of protein shakes? Regards from Canterbury, Kent U.K to all out there doing healthier stuff!

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Love them. I mix mine with water now, no milk at all and drink 60g protein in a shake every morning with my breakfast which is usually bran based for good fiber.
  • bono6612
    bono6612 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good to hear. I have suffered in the past with an irritable stomach with certain whole food, the shakes are very gentle and very digestible for me with good quality nutrition!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I go with Protein Isolate. More protein for the amount you drink (usually 30g per scoop). Do get yourself a good scale accurate to 1g or so because the scoops they give you are woefully inaccurate. Look carefully at the label, you'll find each different flavor (even same brands chocolate vs vanilla is different) requires a different weight for a "scoop". If you're not careful it'll mess you up when you get closer to your goals. I now always weigh the powder and it's helped keep me on track.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    My experience of protein shakes is that they are milk with some powder in that bumps the price up 10 fold over a regular milkshake with no difference in effect....
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I drink one every morning as protein insurance just in case I don't hit my 150 gram protein goal with food. To be honest I could drop them my diet has so much meat, seafood in it but it keeps me thinking fitness so its more mental than anything for me. It does make milk taste better I use chocolate peanut butter whey six star $18 a month..
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning to kick start my day. I've tried a few brands here in the UK and settled on MyProtien's Impact Whey Isolate. Pound for pound it's probably the best isolate out there with the unflavoured version 98% protein content per 25g serving.
  • bono6612
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    My experience of protein shakes is that they are milk with some powder in that bumps the price up 10 fold over a regular milkshake with no difference in effect....

Can't imagine a normal milkshake contains the considerable amount of protein these shakes have, but it will check that out?
  • bono6612
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    I have a protein shake every morning to kick start my day. I've tried a few brands here in the UK and settled on MyProtien's Impact Whey Isolate. Pound for pound it's probably the best isolate out there with the unflavoured version 98% protein content per 25g serving.

I'm using whey Isolate, there are various versions which differ a fair bit that I've looked at.
  • bono6612
    Options
    I drink one every morning as protein insurance just in case I don't hit my 150 gram protein goal with food. To be honest I could drop them my diet has so much meat, seafood in it but it keeps me thinking fitness so its more mental than anything for me. It does make milk taste better I use chocolate peanut butter whey six star $18 a month..

Yes, can understand that, it's a mind matter for me sometimes!
  • bono6612
    Options
    I go with Protein Isolate. More protein for the amount you drink (usually 30g per scoop). Do get yourself a good scale accurate to 1g or so because the scoops they give you are woefully inaccurate. Look carefully at the label, you'll find each different flavor (even same brands chocolate vs vanilla is different) requires a different weight for a "scoop". If you're not careful it'll mess you up when you get closer to your goals. I now always weigh the powder and it's helped keep me on track.

Yes, your right, best weigh it properly with scales!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've previously experimented with protein shakes and never found the dedication to stick with them long enough to see results. I tend to lean towards the bars - easier and less prep, good for on-the-go option and stay in tact while I commute to/from work. Definitely see a physical difference after increasing protein intake in general though!
  • bono6612
    Options
    I've previously experimented with protein shakes and never found the dedication to stick with them long enough to see results. I tend to lean towards the bars - easier and less prep, good for on-the-go option and stay in tact while I commute to/from work. Definitely see a physical difference after increasing protein intake in general though!

Yes, definitely feel a physical effect from more protein delivery!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I feel like I get to eat so little as it is. I can't imagine wasting my calories in a drink unless it's wine. :drinker:
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I use it as a tasty and efficient way to meet my protein goal in addition to other protein sources such as meet, dairy, beans, quinoa, etc.

I mix it with water in a shaker cup, blend it with oats and ice for a shake and stir it into oatmeal and greek yogurt. Haven't tried baking with protein powder but want to give it a shot.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I only use protein shakes to fill in the corners. Food first, drinks later. I'm not a big fan of sweet drinks anyways. I'd rather finish off some salty chips.
  • bono6612
    Options
    I feel like I get to eat so little as it is. I can't imagine wasting my calories in a drink unless it's wine. :drinker:

The other way round for me, spent half a life time with alcohol dependency, so a food drink is probably a better option for me? But, I know exactly what your comment is getting at....would of quoted it myself 5 months back,,,