injury is keeping me from activity-and progress

Options
I started logging and doing some cardio and walking, lost 4-5 lbs, then injured my toe. I actually had a hairline fracture in the littlest toe and for 2 weeks I couldn't even were dress shoes--only extra wide boots. Without exercise, I feel like I am stuck. It's so hard to keep my calories down to 1200 when I am used to 1350-1400 due to eating some back from activity. Any suggestions of how to deal while I heal?

Replies

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to an indoor or heated pool? What about some upper-body workouts? That might help a little bit?
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    no pool, but I like the upper body workout idea. (facepalm--why didn't I think of that before?)
  • rspena84
    rspena84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kris if you have access to a gym you can still build the lean muscle by using the cable machines for your lower body, ie leg extensions and leg curls.... Good luck in your recovery, I know the pain as I fight it every day!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who has extensive foot injuries and has had reconstructive surgery on their entire foot - I highly suggest taking it easy and listening to your body during your recovery. I push myself way too far. I'm pushing back yet another repair surgery until August so that I can train and increase weight/endurance before a trip I'm going on in July. I run for 15-20 minutes every day, lift heavy and disregard most of the advice given unfortunately. When I was not in "intense gym mode," I simply cut back my calories, swam - A LOT, and focused on stretching and working the muscles that were oh so weak. Take it easy and have a healthy recovery!
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Exercise is only 30% of weightloss, so do what doesn't hurt as far as activities and really watch you diet closely. I have an injured spine and knee (both quite debilitating). I have to loss weight to take the pressure of both, but the pain of it can be restrictive. I use a stationary bike, cross trainer, do yoga and spin classes, all of which are OK. If something hurts I stop.
  • computerfox82
    computerfox82 Posts: 54 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat as you Kris except I sprained my ankle. I would love to know what you end up doing for exercise.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Punching exercise can elevate your heart rate and burn calories, and why are you eating so few calories? I would be starving eating that much! How much do you have to lose? If you have your goals set to 2lbs per week, maybe set it to 1lb per week until your toe heals.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    How about a stationery bike? A rowing machine? Look for options at the gym that don't hurt your toe. Sorry you broke your toe. That must hurt.