Laundry Housework activity?

Options
Was wondering if anyone uses HR monitor and "starts" an activity on their Vivofit 2 when doing laundry, housework, gardening, etc?

Replies

• Mokikki
    Mokikki Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Or is that cheating?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cheating implies taking a shortcut to put yourself at an advantage. Logging laundry is the opposite. Shooting yourself in the foot would be a better description for it.
  • Mokikki
    Options
    I've assumed that it shows up in daily activity burn so will leave it as such
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Mokikki wrote: »
    Or is that cheating?

You can't really cheat. Giving yourself credit for calorie burns already included in your daily activity level is double-dipping. It's just going to slow your weight loss down.

Cheating implies you get something (not entitled too). Slow(er) weight loss isn't a "benefit."

As for gardening. If you are working hard above & beyond, you might log some of your gardening calories. Heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio, not going to be really helpful for gardening.
  • Mokikki
    Options
    Thanks!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Has doing laundry ever helped you lose weight before?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Even if your activity level is set to sedentary, it's going to account for a lot of that type of activity. Even a setting of sedentary will account for up to 5,000 steps...try not to think of them necessarily as actual steps, but general activity...the equivalent of 5,000 steps is still a reasonable amount of daily chore type of activities.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    It really depends. Are they part of your regular routine? If the answer is yes, then don't count it. If the answer is no, then maybe you do count it. When I first started on MFP, I was just beginning to be active after a long recovery from an accident and the subsequent surgeries. I had someone else who had been doing those chores for me because I was basically bedridden. When I began doing the chores, I was exhausted quickly. It was hard work for me. I counted it. Now, I only count activity that is not part of my daily life. If I spend 6 hours doing hard labor in the garden digging, splitting and replanting...you bet. If I am doing the laundry and general housework? Absolutely not.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options

This was going to be my response... If it hasn't helped so far don't log it now, you could make things harder for yourself
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I only log the "cleaning" option if I hardcore scrub the floors (I am on my hands and knees for three-hours and typically am sweating bullets by the time I'm done - I think that's worthy of being logged)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Yeah. I only log things that are new that I didn't do while getting fat.
  • Mokikki
    Options
    Had a broken back so didn't do a lot of things for awhile.
  • Mokikki
    Options
    I get it. Thanks all