Whole foods and trader joes!

Options
2»

Replies

• calichic74
    calichic74 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of TJ. Can't even afford to walk into a WF on my weekly grocery budget. Some of the items I purchase from TJs are:

Steele Cut Oatmeal (freezer aisle...so good w/dried cranberries and pecans, which I also purchase from TJs).
    Baby Spinach
    Produce (their organic section is really affordable)
    Almond Milk
    Eggs
    Almonds
    Spices
    Herbs
    Greek Yogurt
    Frozen Berry Medley Mix (for my yogurt)
    Honey

The possibilities are endless. Like some of the others who have replied to your post said, take your time and look around. Also, enjoy the samples!!! :)

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    TJ

Pretzel Bread-Awesome
    Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
    Veg and Chic Fried Rice
    Sweet Onion Bacon Salad Dressing-Awesome
    Mini Ice Cream Cones
    Salmon Zucchini Pesto Risotto-Awesome
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love the bulk section and bulk spices at Whole Foods. We also used to get some of the more unique asian ingredients that HEB doesn't stock, but we finally found the one asian grocery store in San Antonio.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is super cheap, but their produce overall is terrible so you'll need to go to a second store, unless you just eat mostly packaged food. If I go to Trader Joe's I usually just get nuts, certain produce (lemons, limes, kale, spinach, potatoes), frozen fruit, hummus, crackers, wine, and chocolate. I get everything else at Whole Foods and sometimes local farmers markets.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Stuff we regularly by from both stores -

WF - organic half and half, organic buttermilk, organic cream (i make my own sour cream, cream cheese, and butter with these, they have to not be ultra-pasteurized), fermented sauerkrauts, marinara (one of the few places I can find this soy-free), bob's red mill masa harina (best tortillas and tamales EVER), bob's red mill gluten free rolled oats

TJs - occasional produce, sweet chili sauce, light coconut milk (canned), peanuts, reduced sugar preserves, gluten free waffles (caveat - if these are not cooked long enough they don't sit well on the stomach), dark chocolate bars, salsa verde, frozen artichoke hearts, frozen organic mixed veggies, occasional ground turkey, chicken sausages, and organic tortilla chips, raw honey, pink himalayan salt

All the other organic type foods we buy at our local Fred Meyer because the prices are a tad cheaper on those items there. And quite a bit of organic from Costco too.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is super cheap, but their produce overall is terrible so you'll need to go to a second store, unless you just eat mostly packaged food. If I go to Trader Joe's I usually just get nuts, certain produce (lemons, limes, kale, spinach, potatoes), frozen fruit, hummus, crackers, wine, and chocolate. I get everything else at Whole Foods and sometimes local farmers markets.

Some of the produce is great and some is awful. I avoid buying fresh berries, for example - often they are already moldy on the shelf....
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Research the internet. A number of foods from whole foods have been recalled. One for salmonella.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with produce at our TJ's. Always pick up a big bag of spinach, some celery, and sometimes english peas if they're in stock. Once in a while I'll spot bad fruit or veg, but no more than I run into at Safeway.

TJ's has the best cheeses at the best prices. If you eat goat cheese, Silver Goat is excellent. I also eat a lot of the Multigrain Flaxseed water crackers.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

I must be really lucky. Both trader joes in my area have great produce. I've seen other people say the same as you though.

I wanted to add 1 more favorite thing I get at tjs....smoked rainbow trout. 7 bucks for 8oz of yummy wonderfulness. I was there last night and picked up more lol. I also found a satay peanut sauce that we mixed with a little of their sweet chili sauce and splash of rice wine vinegar then used it on chicken - it was so good.