Boiled white rice diet

Options
hey guys,

So, I'm going be doing the rice diet in hope of dropping weight fast. I also go gym 4 times a week. Has anyone done this before? If so how much weight did you lose? Any tips? Please share thank you :)

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You don't need a special diet, it is all about calories in calories out. Use the MFP system, set to loose 2lbs a week or whatever and follow the calorie goals.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Sounds awful and not sustainable.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That sounds terrible. Why do something you can't sustain? Eat a variety of things all in moderation. Record your calories. You can not out exercise a poor diet so don't count on "the gym" to do the trick.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just took a look. A dumb diet, short on nutrients, and very likely VLCD (mostly vegetable broth).
  • Charmaine_louise
    Charmaine_louise Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have read online and people have lost loads of weight! And they eat rice on im a celebrity, that's where most people get the idea from? What would you guys recommend eating!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They eat all sorts of things on I'm a Celebrity...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - had to google this one. The article I found said multiple times you need to be supervised by a medical professional if you're considering this extreme VLCD. Hope you're following that advice and are under the care of a professional if you're into doing something so extreme. Doesn't look like you'll have enough energy to do much exercise though if you're going that low in calories.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Boiled white rice? Nothing but rice and vegetable broth? How would you get your nutrition for the day?

It doesn't sound like it would be a good long term diet plan but whatever floats your boat
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    this is not a good idea. Count your calories and eat less than you burn, it is that simple. You absolutely must eat enough protein, this is non-negotiable.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    So when you lose the weight, what then? Do you keep eating nothing but white rice?

No, I'll tell you what happens. You go right back to eating regular food and you gain it all back, and then some.

Just do it the right way and eat less of what you normally eat and exercise. Lose the dumb diets because ultimately they don't work.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Boiled white rice? Nothing but rice and vegetable broth? How would you get your nutrition for the day?

It doesn't sound like it would be a good long term diet plan but whatever floats your boat

Exactly. Nothing but boiled rice seems like the diet of third world countries.
  • Charmaine_louise
    Charmaine_louise Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Going do some research... :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What would you guys recommend eating!

Personally, I would recommend eating a varied diet with lots of vegetables and legumes, a fair amount of whole grains, some fruit, some fish, some poultry, not much dairy, not much red meat, and if you drink, a moderate amount of your favorite booze. Avoid adding sugar to anything if you can help it, and try to avoid anything that claims it is "enriched" with vitamins and minerals, because that often means that the vitamins and minerals that were in its ingredients to begin with were removed when the ingredients were refined.

And don't eat too much.

However, you don't need to follow the advice in my first paragraph to lose weight. All you need is to eat less than your body expends in daily living and exercise. It will draw the remainder from fat stores.

Tl;dr: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ...would that be INTERNET research? That might be at the root of your problem. Start at a reputable source.
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

MFP can be pretty good at guiding you to a reasonable calorie deficit. Punch in your numbers, ask for 1/2 pound a week loss, and see how many calories you get in a day. Log your food the way you normally eat and see where you sit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't need a special diet to lose weight. You can eat anything you want as long as you have a calorie deficit.

You need to have realistic expectations about weight loss. A healthy loss is 1/2 - 2 pounds per week, depending on your weight.

You should also try to get all the nutrients you need. This can be done by eating some food from every food group every day.

Exercise is wonderful for health, but it isn't crucial for weight loss.

People will say anything to make you buy (into) stuff. Not everything is true. Be critical to everything you read.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I prefer my rice fried. With a side of General Tsos.
    Mexican, with ground beef and tomatoes.
    In some chicken soup.

But plain boiled white rice? Well maybe with some butter and salt and pepper.

variety is good.

Counting calories and enjoying all of the foods works and is a much nicer way to lose weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You don't need a special diet to lose weight. You can eat anything you want as long as you have a calorie deficit.

You need to have realistic expectations about weight loss. A healthy loss is 1/2 - 2 pounds per week, depending on your weight.

You should also try to get all the nutrients you need. This can be done by eating some food from every food group every day.

Exercise is wonderful for health, but it isn't crucial for weight loss.

People will say anything to make you buy (into) stuff. Not everything is true. Be critical to everything you read.
    Exactly this.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    So you're going to eat nothing but rice. Sure, you might drop weight quick (rice has calories, so they still rule the game) but then you'll go back to eating normally and gain it all back. Or if you continue, you'll become malnourished and starve. Both are bad ideas and not sustainable, and teach you nothing about eating in a way that you can adopt forever and keep your weight off.

Everybody wants to lose it all right now, today! Forget what you see on TV (especially from shows called I'm a Celebrity). Eat what you always do, just eat less of it. Understand what your body needs for calories and nutrition and where your calories are coming from.

White rice is great, but only if it's with Chinese food piled on top of it. Mmm. General Tsos.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have read online and people have lost loads of weight! And they eat rice on im a celebrity, that's where most people get the idea from? What would you guys recommend eating!

I recommend just eating your normal food just tracking calories and eating at a deficit to lose weight. There is nothing wrong with rice but focusing on a very restrictive diet or just one food is unnecessary and will not cause you to automatically lose weight. You lose weight by eating fewer calories.