Hello - new Fast Diet user here!

Options
Hello! I'm happy to be here - this looks like it will be a very helpful resource!

I am struggling to get back on the Fast Diet I tell people I'm doing the alternate day diet, since it seems easier for them to understand, but 'm actually doing a 3:4, since it conforms to my schedule a little better. I lost 25 pounds a couple of years ago, but have gained some of it back. Winter seems an especially hard time to diet; I think cold weather probably sends a sign to the body, "Hold on to that fat - you may not have food later on!"

Three of the things I'm considering to get back on track are: 1) going back to the very beginning and spending a couple of weeks getting most of my nutrition from protein shakes, just to jump start the new phase; and, 2) going bact to religiously recording every single thing that goes into my mouth (I'm thinking the tracker here may help with that. :fingerscrossed: The thing that helped about recording everything when I first started the diet is that it gave me a sense of control); and, 3) I want to try is healthier eating on the non-fast days - I have gotten into some bad, carb-craving habits that I'd like to get under control for all days.

I eat 500 to 600 calories on my down days - ideally one meal in the morning and another at night, and I try for at least 8 hours in between. That seems to work for me. I think what makes the diet work is that I don't really feel deprived, since if I start feeling really hungry on a fast day, I can always say to myself, "I can do this just for today." As a smoker who quit multiple times before finally stopping for good a couple of years ago, I guess I'm living proof of the truth of the maxim, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." So this is another try. :)

I'd love to hear from others on either the Fast Diet or the Alternate Day Diet. How is it going for you? Do you have any tips on how to use the mfp tracker tool on one of these diets? It didn't seem to like the low level of calories on my down day yesterday. Do you have any other Fast Diet resources here at mfp you could share with me?

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Good Luck. I tried 5:2 but I couldn't stand being hungry on my fast days. It made me super mean. To the point where my husband and kids were like "Mommy, eat a burger." I know people it works for though. Not sure, but I'd look and in the Groups section here and see if there is one.
  • andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi enterdanger! Yeah, I found 4:3 pretty difficult at first. Then I adjusted and did great for a while. But now I've been struggling again. My mom passed away about as year and a half ago, and during that period I developed a killer sweet tooth that I just have not been able to overcome...yet!

I looked in groups but was disappointed to find only one that didn't appear active. There may be more that I just didn't find though. I,'d like to find some others to share notes with, etc., so I really do hope there are some folks doing this diet.

Anybody else on the Fast Diet, or Alternate Day Diet???

So did you find an alternative that works for you, enterdanger?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A diet doesn't work for you if you can't stay on it, or if you regain when you get off it. You can do anything for a while. You don't have to be suffer to lose weight. Winter doesn't send messages. You don't need protein shakes. You don't need jump starts. Why not find a sustainable way of eating? Like, hit the calorie goal MFP gave you, every day?
  • andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi kommodevaran! You seem to have some very definite ideas, but my experience is different. In fact, I lost 25 pounds and while I've gained back some, I'm still way ahead of where I was initially. And this was after trying many other diets, including the daily calorie restriction that you're recommending. Either I was not able to stay on the diet for very long, or I'd to stay on it for a while, but quickly reach a plateu that I could never overcome, even when upping my activity level significantly. Once I reach my goal weight, I'll experiment with how many days I will need to fast in order to maintain it; this is a sustainable plan.

There's actually quite a lot of research that indicates that intermittant fasting is often a far more successful method than daily calorie restriction. I've read quite a bit about it, and I'm convinced this is the way to go for me. We're all different, though, so that doesn't mean it's the right diet for you. You should go with what you've found works for your own lifestyle and physiology. Vive la difference!

So far it appears to me that there are a multitude of approaches welcome here at mfp. I'm excited about becoming involved! :)