Anyone have a fitbit? Any good?

Options
Thinking of buying a fitbit. Before I invest 200 bucks I was wondering if it's worth it.

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Well, what are your goals, and how do you expect the Fitbit to help you achieve them?

I have the One (less than $100 and clips to my bra so it's out of sight) and I find it to be very helpful as I maintain my weight and try to improve my running, because it helps me figure out exactly how active I am and how much I'm burning, so I'm more comfortable eating enough to fuel my workouts appropriately and run longer and faster. The calorie burn estimation has been very accurate for me and a helpful tool in balancing my calorie needs with my activity level. But that's me and my needs, which might be a lot different from yours.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Why not create a free Fitbit account and see if the data looks like anything you'll consider valuable? If you have an IPhone, I believe you can even track your steps with that, and you don't even need a device. I have an android, so I'm not 100% about that, but it's what I've heard.

I consider that the data I get from my device was worth the $150 I spent on it, so long as the battery lasts a year... I'll let you know next August. The battery in the Charge HR not being user-serviceable was nearly a deal-breaker.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I have a Flex, so it was nowhere near that expensive, and I find it moderately useful. The calorie burn estimate has been helpful when paired with my own TDEE estimate and observed data, and I like that it tracks my sleep, but I mostly enjoy having it as that little, annoying reminder when I have suuuper low days, like when I'm stuck in meetings all day at work or something; it can help remind me that I really ought to get off my butt. But it hasn't vastly changed my exercise habits in any way, just has been something of a mindfulness tool.
  • arnottr3
    arnottr3 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose weight right now then gain muscle. So I wanted to count calories, steps and heart rate. I seen you can join challenge groups to compete with calories and steps. Figured it would keep me more motivated with healthy competition. I didn't know about the battery I'll have to look into that. I'll check out the flex too. Maybe try that one out if cheaper and then go fitbit if like what they do. Thanks guys and gals.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have a one and I mostly use it to make myself more active now that I know what a typical day consists of. I found I was way lazier than I thought, so I go out of my way to take more steps. I do not use it with calories because it's just a way for me to be more self aware and it works great for that.
  • arnottr3
    Options
    Perfect that's what I was looking for. I figured if I see how many steps I take it will make me push to reach more. Thanks.
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have a charge HR and i find it invaluable. it syncs with mfp and the info i get about my active minutes, Heart rate and amount of time I've had my heart rate in cardio or fat burning zone is invaluable. I also use it to track my weight. If these are things you are looking to track and in conjunction with mfp it is so worth it
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart HR. Slightly more expensive but the Charge HR is too large on my wrist and refuses to read my heartrate because light can get to the sensor. Plus I just think the Fitbit devices are butt-ugly :expressionless:

For accurate HR readings, you'll still need a chest strap. I have so far found all activity trackers really lacking in that area. It works fine for resting HR, but for activities not so much. After a full hour of intense cardio several devices told me my HR was in the 78-100 range. I'm pretty fit but not that fit! As a comparison, my HR only monitor with chest strap gave me 158-160 as a reading. The band will occasionally get the right reading, but it's still iffy. Also, if it's too loose or too tight on your wrist it will mess up readings.

In my experience, any activity tracker will constantly remind you to be more active, to try and meet your step goal, take the stairs because you want to hit that number, etc. It's even made me go to bed on time so I can see the satisfying yellow graph instead of the blue one in the garmin app. So I would definitely recommend getting an activity tracker, it really does work!
  • arnottr3
    Options
    Ok thank you I'll look into both. Maybe the Garmin first. I read somewhere that fitbit had a lawsuit fir inaccurate HR reading so that's why I posted. Also looked at the leaf but has bad reviews for inaccurate readings because not close enough to skin and bulky.
  • joshenya
    joshenya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using various Fitbit devices for years and love them. Their customer support is great when an issue has come up as well. I've compared my HR in the dr's office and on gym equipment (which I don't normally depend on, anyway) and it's always similar. I use the Charge HR currently.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend FitBit. I used a Flex for two years. Literally every single day. When I finally upgraded to a Charge HR on my birthday, my Flex still held a charge for a full week, and looked brand new.

My Charge HR is really fantastic. I don't eat back all my exercise calories, or swear by the HR monitor, because I know that the numbers are not going to be perfect. But it does a nice job of telling me that I'm not REALLY pushing as hard as I think I am. I jog longer or bike harder to keep my heart rate up, and I like that a lot.

At the most basic level, that 10,000 step goal gets me off the couch. I love the challenges - I just spent two hours at the gym to beat a coworker! I lost quite a bit of weight just by keeping an eye on my step number, and moving more. Not to mention the customer support is awesome. I had a defect in my HR, and they sent me a replacement no problem.

Give it a shot, and let me know what you think! :)
  • Kapoten
    Kapoten Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and the Aria scale, both of which sync with MFP. I love them! I realized that I am not as sedentary as I assumed, so I can eat more than I thought. The heart rate monitor also helps me get a better estimate of the calories burned during a workout, again giving me a better idea of how much I should be eating. I previously had a Fitbit Flex and didn't like it nearly as much as the Charge HR.
  • penciljockey123
    penciljockey123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip and love it. It really helps me stay on track and put in a few extra steps if I find myself short of my daily goal. I also like how it syncs itself with mfp.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    khatmott wrote: »
    I have a charge HR and i find it invaluable. it syncs with mfp and the info i get about my active minutes, Heart rate and amount of time I've had my heart rate in cardio or fat burning zone is invaluable. I also use it to track my weight. If these are things you are looking to track and in conjunction with mfp it is so worth it

I totally agree! I also like to watch my sleep habits. If I'm more restless on certain nights, I try to think about what I've eaten that day, if I had drinks after 8 pm, or whatever. It's very cool.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have a Misfit Shine, but just last week I "inherited" my daughters Fitbit Flex as she has upgraded to an Apple Watch. I like the Fitbit better than the Shine - which I lost for several months (twice) once I found it in the fridge fruit crisper, once in the tumble dryer, :D still worked perfectly so the Misfit Shine is tough, and waterproof - wore it when I went swimming, in the shower. But the Fitbit does seem better for me, I walk for fitness and it tracks my steps - altho there is a discrepancy between what the Fitbit counts in distance and what MapMyFitness says, so that is weird. But I have found the Fitbit very motivating and joined a challenge with my friends, made me move more. I have the black strap but the Fitbit does have other colours if you are into colour coordination! Good luck :-)
  • curioumz
    curioumz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    arnottr3 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a fitbit. Before I invest 200 bucks I was wondering if it's worth it.

I only have the first one Fitbit Flex! But I absolutely love it!!!
    It links right with this My Fitness Pal! It's cool to see them work together! The Fitbit relays my treadmill workout and MFP shows how many extra calories I could eat! Lol!
    Of course I don't!
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If all you care about are steps, the Zip is only around fifty bucks It uses a replaceable 2025/2032 battery that lasts for several months (vs recharging) and it's tiny. On a clip (or in a pocket) instead of a bracelet. I've had mine for over three years now and still love it.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Non hr charge here, don't know know what I would do without it. I love it!
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    As many have said, it depends on what information you want...

I have a Charge HR - I use it for "timed sessions" - when doing P90x3, 21 Day Fix or just running on the treadmill I start a timed session. This tracks my heart rate among other things during the session. Once done, I stop the session. When I sync it, I have an approximate count of calories based on my heart rate during the session. I can then add the session to MyFitnessPal with a reasonably approximate calorie count.

I plan to start running this Spring (once the weather breaks) and I might consider a Surge (for the GPS). I have only had Fitbits so I can't compare but the HR does exactly what I want from it...
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

They are releasing 2 new models...Alta and Blaze.

I've got the Flex (since July 2013) , had the Force before it died & then was recalled and I also have the Garmin Vivofit (first one). I'm looking to get the Alta when it comes out.

I personally find the dang thing very motivating. I lead a pretty sedentary life.

zw2x0b4c8raz.png