I need to do this now..........

Options
HI!

The name is Wendy (does the user name give that away? Doh!)
My partner Graeme and I have decided that it is finally time to seriously take our weight gain in hand (or two or three hands if we are talking about my stomach).
A lot of this is due in part to his sister losing 6 stone!!!!!! (some due to illness but the majority due to sheer determination!) and my youngest daughter losing almost 2 1/2 stone!.

We have been trawling the internet trying to work out whether to go for low fat or calorie counting or cabbage soup lol. Finally decided on the calorie counting option.

Glad Graeme told me about this place as I think we will need it!

Hopefully I will be able to lose weight with help from you guys with what looks like a fantastic support ! Weight loss starts tomorrow officially as we only got back home tonight from being with the kids and family.

Glad to say hello and hopefully will be able to report good news on the weight front soon.............*cross fat fingers and hope to diet*

Wendy (known to my friends as Birdy)

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I hope you find this site as helpful as I have.
  • Wendybirduk
    Wendybirduk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you ickybella!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I found this site last week and it's awesome! Good luck on your fitness / eating goals! The GREAT thing about this site is that you aren't really dieting you are watching what you eat and portions. If you don't already have one, I suggest getting a kitchen scale to control portions!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    No luck involved!! Log your food.............when you see what your eating it makes it SO much easier to stop eating the crap. I ate icecream this week..........logged it, won't eat it again for a long time:noway:

It is like I am starting over again. So for this week I am not eating take away at all. Only homemade food. It is a good start.

Congratulations on your choice to live a healthier life!!!

:heart: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Oh and I am sorry...............Welcome!!:drinker: I am 49 and lost almost 40 pounds last year. MFP has helped me keep it off. Now I want to lose 20 more:smokin:
  • Wendybirduk
    Wendybirduk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks Karen! I already have kitchen scales as I love home-made bread lol. Need to make sure the bread maker is at the back of the hardest cupboard to reach!

Thank you too arewethereyet (now that is a hard name to type lol) so I will call you Jeannie if you don't mind? Graeme and I are lucky that neither of us are particularly sweet-toothed so we have it relatively easy on theta side. My failure is the dreaded CHEESE! I just loves it! lol

Hopefully will be able to control it though.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thanks Karen! I already have kitchen scales as I love home-made bread lol. Need to make sure the bread maker is at the back of the hardest cupboard to reach!

Thank you too arewethereyet (now that is a hard name to type lol) so I will call you Jeannie if you don't mind? Graeme and I are lucky that neither of us are particularly sweet-toothed so we have it relatively easy on theta side. My failure is the dreaded CHEESE! I just loves it! lol

Hopefully will be able to control it though.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Jeannie or AWTY are great! I HAVE to have my cheese! I work it into my day. 1 oz low fat cheddar and 6 triscuits are my fav afternoon snack. There is an english ched type cheese I buy that is just mouthwatering...........I will walk an extra mile for calories for that baby!

For me it is about moderation. I eat just about anything I want,I have just found that I WANT different things now.

Let me know if you need anything!
  • sunshine4me
    sunshine4me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It will take a little getting use to but you can do anything you choose to do! Baby steps just remember that! If you want to add me as a friend I would be happy to add you! Good Luck! It's a great community!
  • chocolatefish
    Options
    I cannot control most things in my life, but I CAN control what I put in my mouth. Today I choose to eat healthy.

What a great quote. Its going to be my new motto and is definately going on the fridge door.
  • cmzks96
    Options
    Hi Birdy!

I am just starting this too! I have 200 pounds to loose! I am not sure what 1 stone is equal to in pounds here in the USA, but it doesnt matter at least we acknowledge we want to loose this stupid weight or albatross we have been lugging around all these years!

I am a nurse and you would think I would know better, but I am one that is so busy caring for everyone else I tend to put myself in the background. Well no more! I need to do something now as I am so dying a slow miserable death this way.

I had my son at 26 weeks and he weighed 1 pound 6 ounces (634 grams) when he was born in 1999 just 5 days before my 39th birthday. He is a special guy and I have been consumed with taking care of him all these years. He is becoming more independent but I still have to keep an eye on him. Actually, when I had him it was the first time in my life I was ever in the hospital. I was always healthy.

Then in 2003, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I went from taking no prescription meds to being slapped on 5 different meds. I think that is when my health began to suffer. I should have nipped it in the bud then but I was too busy to worry about myself.

In 2004, I fell and severed my achilles tendon. I had severe complications as a result of the surgery to repair it and almost lost my foot. I was non weight bearing for over 6 months!

In 2007, i was at work and had an elderly patient I was caring for fall out of bed. I was trying to help him back up into the bed with some help from an assistant but she did not do much and I did most of the lifting and my back has suffered ever since. I cannot take narcotics for pain and the doctor has tried epidural injections but they do not work anymore. I am too heavy for surgical intervention at this time. I wish I wasn't but that is what happens when all you can do to take the pain away is sit and not move.

Yes, it sucks to be me! I wish I can accomplish this goal for my health and for my family so that I can be an active member of society again! I really want to be able to work! I loved my job as a nurse!

I wish you luck in your goals and hope and pray for your success! Take care-Chris(cmzks96)
  • sunshngirl3
    Options
    Hi,

I just started four days ago and I have almost 200 pounds to loose. I am trying to get past the question of how in the world did I get to this point and realize it was one bite at a time of the wrong foods and no exercise. In high school I was a cross country runner and I loved running. Now I look at myself and I don't even know the person that I am any more. It's nice knowing that I am not alone in this. Add me as a friend if you like and together I know we can win this battle once and for all.
  • klamelle
    klamelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! You seem to have a handle on the whys and hows... the hard part is the doing it. I honestly take this not one day at a time, or even one hour at a time, but one decision at a time ... will I or won't I eat (fill in the blank). So far, this website has really helped me to get my mind around just how much I eat and it has been really helpful.

I have 94 pounds to lose. I've lost in exess of 100 pounds in the past, more than once, but always gain it back - this time, I can't afford to do that.

So CONGRATULATIONS to all of us for becoming mindful about what we eat and let's keep each other upright!!

Karen