Exercises for building BIG calves?

Options
Aside from the role of genetics, what 2 or 3 exercises are found to build BIGGER calves? Include number of reps, sets, and times per week. Thanks

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There are two muscles in your calves you need to work. You can hit them by doing calf raises with the feet straight, angled in, and angled out.

I do them 3x a week 3 sets of 10 for each position while holding a dumbbell to progressively overload. Alternatively you can use the calf raise machine for resistance.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You can also progress with single-leg.
    ETA: I do 55 a few times a day (while filling my water bottle).
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My experience with calves are they are highly genetic.
    I haven't done a calf raise in my life and I have monstrous calves.

That said you can improve what you got with a combination of seated and standing calve raises.
    A man named Dante creator of the Dogg Crapp method had a style of training calves called 10 second calves.
    Don't think it only takes 10 seconds
    Each rep lasts that long on the eccentric and you explode up on the concentric.
    2x20

Make sure you remember to emphasize things such as heavy squats and deadlifts as well.
  • caracpowers
    caracpowers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Walking while fat will build big calves. I started walking and hiking to lose sixty pounds. My calves are bigger now than they were in high school when I was doing ballet and doing straight leg and bent leg calf raises twice a week. Get a weighted walking best, add forty pounds or so and climb hills a couple times a week. Your calves will grow.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I second climbing or hiking, with extra weight.
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Genetics definitely....but heavy squats and heavy deadlifts. Flexion of the ankle for extension and calf raises will stimulate calves but deadlifts and skwaaats will make them GROW!!
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm focusing mainly on heavy DLs and front squats. In the past, I was always told calf raises with as much weight as I can handle for 15-20 reps, because the calves are harder to overload. Is that advice sound or not?
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm focusing mainly on heavy DLs and front squats. In the past, I was always told calf raises with as much weight as I can handle for 15-20 reps, because the calves are harder to overload. Is that advice sound or not?

It's about a lot of volume with those movements for calves. Want to get big, have to EAT BIG is best advice so make sure you are in surplus of calories and not a deficit unless going for that shredded/cut physique. I would push from 15-20 and increase to say 30-50. (If you can take the burn) Standing calf raises*use a machine to help you get onto the top of your big toe* guaranteed you'll feel it more when full extension.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options

It's about a lot of volume with those movements for calves. Want to get big, have to EAT BIG is best advice so make sure you are in surplus of calories and not a deficit unless going for that shredded/cut physique. I would push from 15-20 and increase to say 30-50. (If you can take the burn) Standing calf raises*use a machine to help you get onto the top of your big toe* guaranteed you'll feel it more when full extension.

Ok. I had always used the Smith machine and a block of wood under the toes. 15-20 gets 'em burning for sure!