Opinions about eating out

I tend to be running around a lot between jobs and school and such, I find it hard to get a good decent meal in some days. Obviously, fast food restaurants are convenient for time, but not for maintaining a healthy living status.

1) my first question is, for everyone who meal preps, what is a good food for on-the-go situations that isn't just a protein shake.
2)if found ina situation where I have to pick up food, what is the healthiest choice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I don't meal prep, but I virtually always have leftovers from the previous night as lunch. Not sure if this would work for you.

The healthiest choice is going to depend on your personal goals (how many calories do you want to have for lunch, what is your overall calorie goal, do you have macro goals, what do you find filling, etc). When I eat out for lunch, I tend to do Chipotle (salad bowl) or a sandwich place. But, depending on your plan, you can make just about anything work.
  • hpaq10
    hpaq10 Posts: 10 Member
    I don't meal prep, but I virtually always have leftovers from the previous night as lunch. Not sure if this would work for you.

The healthiest choice is going to depend on your personal goals (how many calories do you want to have for lunch, what is your overall calorie goal, do you have macro goals, what do you find filling, etc). When I eat out for lunch, I tend to do Chipotle (salad bowl) or a sandwich place. But, depending on your plan, you can make just about anything work.

Awesome thank you!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I agree with jane -

I don't like using the word "healthy" because its meaning varies from person to person. But to the point, it's rare I can't find something on any menu that won't fit into my day. Even the oft-derided McDonalds offers a McDouble and small fry for at little over 600 calories that will serve as a decent meal on a cut.

• hpaq10
    hpaq10 Posts: 10 Member
    Very good point thank you!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Most places have something that isn't terribly "unhealthy" (I agree with Juggernaut, with usage of those words), but if you're looking for something large, quick and filling I tend to go to places like Freshii or Chipotle. But normally my dinner leftovers are my lunch.
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2016
    Most places have something that isn't terribly "unhealthy" (I agree with Juggernaut, with usage of those words), but if you're looking for something large, quick and filling I tend to go to places like Freshii or Chipotle. But normally my dinner leftovers are my lunch.

What do you like at Freshii? I want to try it, but their menu is kinda daunting to me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I agree with jane -

I don't like using the word "healthy" because its meaning varies from person to person. But to the point, it's rare I can't find something on any menu that won't fit into my day. Even the oft-derided McDonalds offers a McDouble and small fry for at little over 600 calories that will serve as a decent meal on a cut.

If you don't mind starving 2 hours later, sure...

OP - basically avoid fried food, dressings, and sauces (or ask for those on the side). That's pretty much it.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    What do you like at Freshii? I want to try it, but their menu is kinda daunting to me.

I like their bowls or salads. I usually build my own, or do any one of the bowls either on it's own or with tofu. I'm vegan, and there's a few that have non-veg dressings, so I just sub out for a vegan dressing. I've never had their wraps/burritos or breakfasts, but my husband got a wrap once that was massive.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I agree with jane -

OP - basically avoid fried food, dressings, and sauces (or ask for those on the side). That's pretty much it.

Why would you assume I was starving two hours later? That would be entirely an incorrect assumption on your part.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

This. Also, a Pollo Loco just went in near us, and I'd really like to try them. They have a double chicken bowl that looks really good.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    hpaq10 wrote: »
    I tend to be running around a lot between jobs and school and such, I find it hard to get a good decent meal in some days. Obviously, fast food restaurants are convenient for time, but not for maintaining a healthy living status.

1) my first question is, for everyone who meal preps, what is a good food for on-the-go situations that isn't just a protein shake.
    2)if found ina situation where I have to pick up food, what is the healthiest choice?

I'm not the best meal prepper, but my lunches (or fast dinners depending on the night) don't take too long to prep ahead. Depending on your situation (ie: eating at school or work?, rushing home to eat? eating in the car?) you can usually pack something healthy and not too complex. I love sandwiches and fresh veggies. They store well and are quick to put together. I like to think of bento-box meals- so grabbing portable healthy foods and putting them together as a meal/paperbag lunch-ie: a cup of cherry tomatoes, a string cheese, 3 oz of chicken breast, brocolli florets, an apple, hardboiled eggs, etc. And while they aren't the epitome of healthy choices, frozen meals (like Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine) have come in handy and are easy to track.

For eating out, I scour the nutrition info (either on the menu or on my phone) and find something that works. A side salad with a burger (fries don't seem worth it to me), or a sandwich or sub (keeping an eye on sauces and cheese). As long as I track it that makes me more accountable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If I know I'm going to be running around, I usually just pack a peanut butter sandwich and an apple. Most often I'm at my desk and I brown bag pretty much every day...it varies, but usually leftovers from the night before or a sandwich or often I make a big pot of beans on weekends so I can have a bean burrito or two or a bean bowl with some grilled chicken and an avocado half, etc...in the summer I eat a lot more salads as well and we do a lot of grilling so I usually grill extra so I have something for lunch.

I don't eat out often as I find it difficult for weight management in general.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

At Freshii look for protein and calories.
    Terriyaki Twist Bowl with sauce: Calories 500, protein 14 grams
    Ninja Salad with dressing: Calories 350, protein 9 grams
    Spicy Tai Burrito with sauce: Calories 480, protein 16 grams
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I agree with jane -

Why would you assume I was starving two hours later? That would be entirely an incorrect assumption on your part.

It was a generic 'you', because I would be starving 2 hours later with that meal, and I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat.
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Almost ever fast food joint has a grilled chicken sandwich. A 6" coldcut on wheat and baked chips at subway is less than 600 calories. Although this isn't the best, it can work.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I like the Wendy's half salad. Very filling, and lots of greens. Hubby and I both agreed that McDonald's is not doing salads right.

I always bring small snacks with me if I am going to be away for an extended period. A protein bar is portable and I will cut it in half so if I only need half, I eat that. Hubby is smarter. He brings an apple.
  • janejellyroll

I like their bowls or salads. I usually build my own, or do any one of the bowls either on it's own or with tofu. I'm vegan, and there's a few that have non-veg dressings, so I just sub out for a vegan dressing. I've never had their wraps/burritos or breakfasts, but my husband got a wrap once that was massive.

I'm vegan too -- that's why I asked for your advice! Thank you. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Panda Express is one of my favorites. Steamed mixed veggies are 80 calories, grilled teriyaki chicken is 300 calories, broccoli beef is 150 calories. 530 calories for a decent-sized, pretty well-rounded meal.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    There are cute insulated lunch bags with accessory pockets for keys/phone (I saw some at Costco recently) so pop in the ice pack and pack anything you would eat cold--salad, sandwich, veggies, cheese, yogurt, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, etc. Any of these cold items except the sandwich you could prepare the night before so you can just grab from the fridge and go. Or you could get a thermos for hot stuff and pack soup, stew, spaghetti, chili, etc.
  • boofmylumpia
    boofmylumpia Posts: 43 Member
    You can find menus with nutritional info of popular restaurants if you click the geotag logo right next to the food search engine. This was added in the latest app version, check it out.