Stationary bikes.. With or without moving arms??

Options
My husband asked me today what I would want for Valentine's Day and my birthday. I told him since they are a close together I really wanted a stationary bike. I have wanted one for a while and just keep putting it off for various reasons. He told me to pick out the one I wanted and now I am stuck between do I get one that has the moving arms to get in an arm workout too or do I get the more relaxed one. I know the moving arm one would probably burn more calories (or not i could be wrong) Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'd get a "normal" one without moving arms. If you want to work out your arms there are much better ways to do so.
  • DawnReid04
    DawnReid04 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is kinda what i was thinking but didn't know if someone knew something I didn't lol Im really new to all of this so trying to learn all i can :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'd get a "normal" one without moving arms. If you want to work out your arms there are much better ways to do so.

The main purpose of the exercise bike is aerobic fitness. The bike with moving arms will burn more calories since you are using more muscles. Sure there are better ways to work out arm muscles for strength just like there are better ways to develop strength in the legs other than biking or running.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just waving your arms around isn't necessarily burn more calories than just using your legs - depends on the intensity. The person and their fitness is the limiting factor.

Go for a "normal" bike of a decent standard - it might even encourage you to get outdoors on a real cycle.
  • Packerjohn
    edited February 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Just waving your arms around isn't necessarily burn more calories than just using your legs - depends on the intensity. The person and their fitness is the limiting factor.

Go for a "normal" bike of a decent standard - it might even encourage you to get outdoors on a real cycle.

This is true. However, you can get to a higher level of cardio intensity and calorie burn because the legs aren't the limiting factor, the trainee can also use the muscles in the arms/upper body to create intensity. If the trainee just lets the hands rest on the handle bars and "go along for the ride" they aren't getting any more benefit vs a regular stationary bike. The Airdyne style bike gives the option of using the arms to up the intensity or not.

The Airdyne (bike with moving arms) is on of the top choice for strength and conditioning professionals, especially for HIIT style training

Interesting article:

"Interval training can be done on any piece of equipment. However, the most expeditious choice in my opinion will be a dual action bike like the Schwinn AirDyne. The bike allows, in the words of performance enhancement expert Alwyn Cosgrove, "maximum metabolic disturbance with minimal muscular disruption." In other words, you can work really hard and not injure yourself on a stationary bike."

Full Aritcle:
    http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/1766.cfm

If cost is a factor, of course the regular stationary bike will be lower cost for the same quality.

If you already have a good bike, might just want to consider a trainer for it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Legs aren't the limiting factor in cardio exercise - the heart, lungs and circulatory systems are.

Short burst interval training for a non-experienced person or if that piece of equipment is all they are planning on doing - yeah sure can see a benefit in using arms and legs but would then suggest a rowing machine or high quality cross trainer / elliptical.

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to test out the bike types to see what you like (gym?) or Walmart sometimes has displays down to test. If you like just riding a bike just get the stationary one with different arm position to rest arms ( I find I like that bc I don't stay in one position the whole time)
  • Packerjohn
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Is there a way to test out the bike types to see what you like (gym?) or Walmart sometimes has displays down to test. If you like just riding a bike just get the stationary one with different arm position to rest arms ( I find I like that bc I don't stay in one position the whole time)

Please don't buy your exercise bike at Walmart. Total junk. If working with a budget loom at used. High quality stuff out there for 25-33% of new.

A gym quality bike will have a totally different feel than one from walmart.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

This

Or if you really want an indoor one go for a Wattbike.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased an Airdyne model AD-6, and I absolutely love it BECAUSE it works the upper body too. Because of three very sensitive degenerative discs in my back, I have to be really careful about strength training with weights, so I stick to biking and walking just to get some cardio into my routine.

What I did not expect when I started using the Airdyne was the workout my biceps and triceps would get. You're using several different muscle groups in your upper body for both pushing and pulling on those handlebars. After a few weeks of using it, I'm definitely seeing some more definition in my arms, whereas before it was just in my legs. The other nice thing is that the harder you work on the Airdyne, the harder it gets. The whole contraption runs on wind resistance rather than powered mechanical resistance. There is a digital readout on the front, but that just takes a few AA batteries. It also hooks up wirelessly to the fancier heart rate readers, but I usually just ignore the panel completely and use my Apple Watch.

I would say if you're looking for getting more of a whole body workout during your cardio rather than just working your legs, the AirDyne is really great. Works a lot of different muscles while still remaining low impact, and adapts instantly to however hard you want to work without eating up a bunch of batteries or having to plug into the wall. It's definitely not as fun as being on my real bike in the nicer months, but is keeping me in shape during the cold months, and gives me a good low impact workout.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Real bikes are great unless it's 10 degrees, the roads are icy, and you don't want the maintenance! You've gotten some nice recommendations here from what sound like real bike enthusiasts. If that's not the kind of investment you're thinking about, I got the Marcy Recumbent bike on Amazon (also available at Walmart) and have loved it. It is extremely sturdy & quiet, has adjustable resistance, and monitors everything you need. As to arms, I used to use a bike with arms & always found it annoying. I prefer to focus strictly on intensity w/o having to coordinate upper & lower body. I chose a recumbent because, starting at a pretty high weight, I found vertical bikes uncomfortable, but that may not be an issue for you.
  • try2again
    Options
    I just recently purchased an Airdyne model AD-6, and I absolutely love it BECAUSE it works the upper body too. Because of three very sensitive degenerative discs in my back, I have to be really careful about strength training with weights, so I stick to biking and walking just to get some cardio into my routine.

What I did not expect when I started using the Airdyne was the workout my biceps and triceps would get. You're using several different muscle groups in your upper body for both pushing and pulling on those handlebars. After a few weeks of using it, I'm definitely seeing some more definition in my arms, whereas before it was just in my legs. The other nice thing is that the harder you work on the Airdyne, the harder it gets. The whole contraption runs on wind resistance rather than powered mechanical resistance. There is a digital readout on the front, but that just takes a few AA batteries. It also hooks up wirelessly to the fancier heart rate readers, but I usually just ignore the panel completely and use my Apple Watch.

I would say if you're looking for getting more of a whole body workout during your cardio rather than just working your legs, the AirDyne is really great. Works a lot of different muscles while still remaining low impact, and adapts instantly to however hard you want to work without eating up a bunch of batteries or having to plug into the wall. It's definitely not as fun as being on my real bike in the nicer months, but is keeping me in shape during the cold months, and gives me a good low impact workout.

That actually sounds pretty good. Expensive?
  • DawnReid04
    DawnReid04 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my question!!! Thank you so much for your information.
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A real bike is a much better option Add a bike trainer for the winter months. If you have to do a standard stationary bike, get a good quality bike. I would try out as many as you can before you buy. The better the bike the more likely you will ride and enjoy it. You should also try sites like craigslist to buy one at a reduced rate just know what you are buying
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I would not say it was cheap. I think we paid a little under $600 for it on Amazon. However, I am not afraid to pay a little more money for quality. I will NOT skimp on home gym equipment only to have it fall apart in a year or two. The AD-6 has been reviewed as one of the best consumer grade stationary bikes out there. There is a Pro model that's a little better (more like something you'd find in a public gym) and an AD-2 model that is not as nice as the AD-6. All three are great bikes though.

To everyone saying "just get a real bike", yes, real bikes are great. But I personally cannot stand biking in the frigid midwest winter cold and I will not ride on the snow and ice. I'm sure many are in the same situation.
  • try2again
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I would not say it was cheap. I think we paid a little under $600 for it on Amazon. However, I am not afraid to pay a little more money for quality. I will NOT skimp on home gym equipment only to have it fall apart in a year or two. The AD-6 has been reviewed as one of the best consumer grade stationary bikes out there. There is a Pro model that's a little better (more like something you'd find in a public gym) and an AD-2 model that is not as nice as the AD-6. All three are great bikes though.

To everyone saying "just get a real bike", yes, real bikes are great. But I personally cannot stand biking in the frigid midwest winter cold and I will not ride on the snow and ice. I'm sure many are in the same situation.

Agree about being willing to pay extra for quality/durability. I would think with more moving parts (arms), that would be even more of a concern. FYI, OP- I've had my bike for 4-5 years with fairly regular use & no issues, creaks, or rattles!