Ditching Sugar

Options
I've decided to give up sugar for Lent ( and hopefully going forward). What I mean is I am going to give up sweets. No sugar in my coffee and tea, no desserts, no candy or chocolate, and no juice or soda. Also no syrups ( like maple ) or honey. Am I missing anything?

Since I have a well established sugar addiction I know this is going to be difficult. So that I don't go completely mad I've decided that I can still have whole fruits and whole grain products. I can also have things like sweet potatoes and squash. I think this is reasonable.

I'm both excited and scared about this undertaking. I'd really like to be successful and hopefully shed some unwanted pounds. Most importantly I want to feel better day-to-day and be rid of this addiction.

Anyone have any input or suggestions based on their own experience giving up refined sugars?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Because Oreos.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nah. I have to watch my sugar intake because I've been getting a bad physical reaction when I over-indulge. Still eat it though...and still over indulge. Whoops.
  • xickel
    xickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar because I felt as if I was addicted to sweets and couldn't control my intake. I can tell you I feel better, and it gets easier with time. The initial break from it was difficult with LOTS of severe cravings, but now (several months without sugar) I seldom even think about sweets.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I find eating more protein helps greatly with sugar cravings. I can now have a little sugar every day without going overboard.
  • amandajpiper
    amandajpiper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar in July. It was tough. I used a lot of it! I used to use 4 cubes per tea cup and would drink between 5-10 cups per day! I also adored chocolate. Mad love for anything baked. And my pancakes are pretty epic! So, ditching sugar was tough! After watching 'Fed Up' though I HAD to. Not just for me but for my kids too.

It was a tough transition on my kids. They are junkies too! We cut it all. Aside from fruits, of course! Every Saturday we'd have a sweet treat. We all managed well!

Now, I cannot stand sugar in my tea! It's disgusting! And don't even get me started on pop!

This huge life story is just to give you a heads up that although it's tough at first, it does get easier! Promise! Good luck!
  • jodi3357
    jodi3357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar 116 days ago. Had a headache at first and was a bit grumpy. Like quiting smoking. It will go away, just keep on ! Good luck
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I like that idea! I quit drinking alcohol January 4th and replaced sugar cravings with those stupid Valentine's Day conversation hearts. Now I have to wean myself off those. :# I may just have to join your challenge.
  • nevergiveup151
    nevergiveup151 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar addict and managed to give up sugar and white flour on January 4th. I gave up the white flour and, sniff, alcohol, because they seem to react in my body the same way that sugar does. I am so tired of craving food all the time. Sugar hides everywhere. It is in processed foods under all kinds of -ose word endings. It is in corn syrup, a common sweetener. It is in most breads, even the ones labeled whole wheat.

I wish you luck on your journey and would love to find others on my same journey to build a community. I have a LOT of weight to lose and I've added physical exercise to my life. It feels great to take care of myself and my skin, hair and nails have improved so much. I don't feel tired all the time anymore and am using the energy I have to do all the things I couldn't face for years. I feel like I'm grabbing life again. Sugar is not my friend and making these changes was so worth it.

Good luck to you!
  • JMLSZ
    JMLSZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have given up refined sugar several times and it makes such a difference if you are prone to sugar/carb addiction. Sadly, I fall back into it. I really don't have any pointers other than let Advil and lots of water be your friend for the headaches you will probably have, and just stick with it! I started today, so I am here with you!! For me, it's sugar as well as refined flour that's out. Good luck, keep in touch!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar addict and managed to give up sugar and white flour on January 4th. I gave up the white flour and, sniff, alcohol, because they seem to react in my body the same way that sugar does. I am so tired of craving food all the time. Sugar hides everywhere. It is in processed foods under all kinds of -ose word endings. It is in corn syrup, a common sweetener. It is in most breads, even the ones labeled whole wheat.

I wish you luck on your journey and would love to find others on my same journey to build a community. I have a LOT of weight to lose and I've added physical exercise to my life. It feels great to take care of myself and my skin, hair and nails have improved so much. I don't feel tired all the time anymore and am using the energy I have to do all the things I couldn't face for years. I feel like I'm grabbing life again. Sugar is not my friend and making these changes was so worth it.

Good luck to you!

Curious...It's been a month for you. How long did take to significantly lower or eliminate your need to have your sugar 'hit'? I don't 'do' sugar however, I have an 'addiction' to using Stevia on everything. I get what you mean...'I am so tired of craving...all the time'. Me too!
    Thanks also to anyone else here who can comment.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I made a commitment to cut sugar out of my diet 2.5 years ago because I was having trouble with my blood sugar levels and was right on the edge of needing medicine for it. It was soooooo hard to do, but it was the best decision I ever made.

It took at least a full year and a half to get myself to a point where I really felt in control of my urge to binge on sweets. Since then I have lost 126 pounds (I still have 24 to go). My blood sugar has been normal for a long time and my blood pressure is also normal now.

Now, even when I do eat things that I know I shouldn't, even on my worse day, I don't come any where near the amount of sugar that I used to eat. I just feel so sick when I eat it that it is not worth it to me to over do it.

I do have a bit of chocolate sometimes or a small piece of cake or a bite of my husband's dessert. I have a little bread or potatoes sometimes, but I am careful to fit them into my nutritional goals.

It feels really good to be in control of what I eat instead of what I eat being in control of me!

I would like to caution you that it doesn't really matter what you eat, if you eat more calories than you burn, you will still gain weight. So if you goal is to lose weight you will have to be careful about how many calories you are eating.