Licked my wounds, here for round 2 on MFP.

Options
Hey hey, people.

So this isn't my 1st pony ride...

8aizan1xpn57.jpg

I last found myself here on MFP, maniacally exercising like a fiend and dieting my way to 40 lbs lost and a TON of sports injuries that I have battled for the past 2 years. Here I am, wounds licked, ready to shed the weight gained from the almost year of inactivity caused by said injuries which led to surgeries and extensive PT.

I have done the MFP thing before. It works for me. I need accountability and I do best with everything on paper in my face. That being said, I am taking the lessons that I learned from my last venture and applying them to this one. It comes down to moderation for me in everything this time, exercise and calorie restriction included.

So, the deal: I am 42 years old, here for health. I have 2 teenage sons and a fun yet crazy life with a hubby that I adore. I worry more about being having a healthy vessel than being skinny. I believe in eating real food and healthily 85% of the time- lean proteins, organic when I can, and a ton of fruits and veggies- so I can enjoy the hell out of the 15% of foodie evenings out on the town with my hubby. Life is too short not to enjoy wine and cheese, people. I don't call the 15% a cheat. It is called living LIFE. My "exercise" doesn't even feel like that as I love it. I spend my free time up in elevated isolated wooded trails with my dog and love to kick my own ***** with rigorous intervals sprints/bootcamp workouts every so often.

I seek like-minded friends who believe in restricting portions/calories NOT entire food categories for a quick weight loss. Who exercise for a healthy heart, not to hurriedly burn off last night's bite of their kids' mac & cheese. I seek people who enjoy real whole food on the regs, not a diary full of processed food all day/ every day, so they can enjoy the occasional indulgent evening out. I seek people who also seek balance and moderation in order to achieve a health. If you only eat 1100 calories per day, live on protein bars with a bunch of weird ingredients, are scared of an occasional slice of pizza, or feel the need to guilt elliptical for 2 hours after "slipping" with a cookie... you need not apply. Fellow busy working parents who get the juggle are ideal.

If you are like-minded, I would love to connect. Two weeks back and I am already down 8lbs which helps in motivation, but would love to connect with people with similar goals!

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I can be the type who goes hard too. Important lessons to learn there.
    Wishing you all the best for lasting & sustainable solutions. xoL
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome progress! I assume your from St. Louis? I moved here just about a year and a half ago. I'm amazed with how many opportunities there are for outdoor exercise here.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am from St. Louis. A native! Yes, there are so many awesome state parks and trails around here. Once the weather is nice, I am biking Forest Park, hiking in Castlewood, or on a trail along the Meramec somewhere. :)
  • CarrieStL
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I can be the type who goes hard too. Important lessons to learn there.
    Wishing you all the best for lasting & sustainable solutions. xoL

Yep, I am a go hard or go home person too. :) I've learned that I have to pull back with this though for it to be long-lasting and not hurt myself. Smirk.

• ShrinkingScientist
    Options
    Pick me! I'm recovering from an ACL injury while trying to get fit and healthy. I understand coming back from injuries, and my diet varies. I'm a graduate student, so some days it's processed stuff, and some days it's completely whole foods. :)
  • eat_run_play
    eat_run_play Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    same thing here. was on a few years ago under a different username. now i'm back with maybe about 10 to lose this time. i enjoy running and eating good food. like you, i have a really hard time restricting so i try to enjoy in moderation . feel free to add me if you want to!
  • CarrieStL
    Options
    Pick me! I'm recovering from an ACL injury while trying to get fit and healthy. I understand coming back from injuries, and my diet varies. I'm a graduate student, so some days it's processed stuff, and some days it's completely whole foods. :)

Misery totally loves company in this situation, for real. Ha ha. Nothing worse than getting booted off the healthy train due to injury. Happy to connect!!
  • CarrieStL
    Options
    same thing here. was on a few years ago under a different username. now i'm back with maybe about 10 to lose this time. i enjoy running and eating good food. like you, i have a really hard time restricting so i try to enjoy in moderation . feel free to add me if you want to!

Yay! Happy to connect.

• LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am finding a balance with keeping control of my portion sizes and aiming for my macros. You'll see sweets including daily cookies in my diary. I have lost 10 lbs since I started MFP and I have at least 70 lbs to go. I have an 8 month old so my only exercise is walking and running around after my family right now. I am always looking for regular MFP users to be friends with.
  • CarrieStL
    Options
    LLT38 wrote: »
    Feel free to add me. I am finding a balance with keeping control of my portion sizes and aiming for my macros. You'll see sweets including daily cookies in my diary. I have lost 10 lbs since I started MFP and I have at least 70 lbs to go. I have an 8 month old so my only exercise is walking and running around after my family right now. I am always looking for regular MFP users to be friends with.
    Cool! Adding you!
  • dbahelenparr
    dbahelenparr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sending you an add, this could have been written by me!! This is my second time using MFP. In the past I have done punishing amounts of exercise with short term success and long-term injury. Over the years I have come to care very deeply about proper nourishment, eating real foods, eliminating processed foods, preservatives, GMOs, fillers, etc as much as possible. I love Michael Pollan's directive to eat food, not too much. I don't believe in eliminating entire food groups, but try to make sure most of my carbs are complex not simple. Basically I'm trying to eat in a way that I can live with for the rest of my life and not just as a means to a short term goal. I approach my exercise the same way now. Working with a pretty messed up knee right now (and some hip & shoulder discomfort), I'm walking about 5 miles a day, a couple times a week I pick up some light weights (5 lbs) and do some arm exercises, and when/if my knee stops acting like it's 80 years old, I hope to take a yoga class once in a while. Oh yeah, I'm also in my 40s (except my 80 year old knee) and mom to one teen and one tween. Always happy to share friendly support with like-minded MFP-ers, so anyone else please feel free to add me!