Underactive Thyroid

Options
Has anyone else got an under active thyroid? I take Thyroxine but I really struggle to lose weight, does anyonee else have the same problem? x

Replies

• misjes1
    misjes1 Posts: 18
    Options
    I use Thyroxine and with the proper dosage perscribed by your doctor, you should not have any problems losing weight. You should be getting your blood checked every 6 months to ensure you are on the correct dosage.
  • Newman77025
    Newman77025 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes I have hypothyroidism and I take levothyroxine. The weight loss is also hard for me. The key for me has been counting my calories and really pushing the exercise, even though I'm really tired.
  • Terri_74
    Terri_74 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes I have an underactive thyroid and also have to take tablets daily. I think I am lucky though as I am losing weight at the moment. My levels are correct though and that obviously makes a difference.. Good luck in losing weight :)
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also have an underactive thyroid. At the correct dosage you shouldn't affect your ability to loose weight. I agree that a blood test is a good idea. Ask for the results often a borderline normal result (normal is TSH up to 4) can inhibit weight loss, I feel best when TSH between 0.5 and 2.

I also have PCOS and that does affect ability to loose weight - I loose easily on low sugar / low GI / low carb diet, but don't loose if I stick to 1200 calories but don't watch the quanlity of what I eat.
  • abbz17
    abbz17 Posts: 39
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. I am on a natural supplement called Thyroid Complex. It is working for me.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I take a natural supplement but it does get my thyroid numbers to normal levels. However losing weigh does seem to be harder. I took me about 14 months to lose 40 pounds and I worked out like crazy and it seemed like I needed a much larger calorie deficit per day (600-800) to consistently lose weight. My sweet spot was 1900 calories when my normal intake with a 500 calorie deficit would have been around 2400. It can be done just for some people it seems to take a little more work.

I recommend reading this book, it's what got me to taking something natural and turned things around for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Thyroid-Madness-Revolution-Treatment/dp/0615144314
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    I'm one of the unfortunate souls who has an underactive thyroid but doctors who say "it's still within acceptable levels"! My thyroid glands are enlarged (spare tire of the throat!) and they say it's caused by the thyroid working too hard to try to function at normal levels. Ugh!
  • ryansmom33
    ryansmom33 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yep and it took me forever to find a dr that would listen to me and work with me in getting my levels right. I did a lot of research on my own. Synthroid and the likes never did anything for me but make me worse, I was taking that running over 60 miles a month watching what I ate and never lost a lb.

Once I started researching and finding other answers, I have dropped over 40lbs in about a year. I'm happier and feeling much better. I take T3 only now. Armour thyroid used to be my wonder drug until the company reformulated it then it no longer worked for me.

Research, be your own advocate, keep finding a dr that will listen.
  • ryansmom33
    Options
    I'm one of the unfortunate souls who has an underactive thyroid but doctors who say "it's still within acceptable levels"! My thyroid glands are enlarged (spare tire of the throat!) and they say it's caused by the thyroid working too hard to try to function at normal levels. Ugh!

You need to find a new dr, one that will listen. there are sites that have dr recommendations for your area of dr's that actually understand that "normal" isn't necessarily "normal".
  • lorrainehnsn
    lorrainehnsn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    where do u get thyroxin complex from pls?:smile:
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also have low thyroid and have been on medication for about 13 years. However, even though the meds have my numbers regulated, I STILL have a little more difficulty losing weight-even at a 1200-1400 calorie per day diet. But I can/do still lose weight-just takes more effort than for most people.
  • FabOma08
    Options
    As far as thyroid function is concerned weight loss is the least of my worries. I have long come to grips with the fact I just have to work harder. But if you look at a list of low thyroid symptoms "unexplained weight loss" is the ONLY one I don't have!!!
  • ryansmom33
    Options
    As far as thyroid function is concerned weight loss is the least of my worries. I have long come to grips with the fact I just have to work harder. But if you look at a list of low thyroid symptoms "unexplained weight loss" is the ONLY one I don't have!!!

Weight loss is NOT a symptom of low thyroid, it's a symptom of over active thyroid.
  • stephn1
    stephn1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid and take a thyroid med for about 6 years. 2 years ago I started to feel tired again and gained 10 lbs in a week. I went to my doctor the blood work said my level was 2.5 in the normal range but I told my doctor that may be so but if I am sleeping all night 10 to 6 and needing a nap by 930 Am and another nap in the afternoon it wasn't normal and I couldn't live like that so we upped my dose and now my number is .34 and I feel normal again. I still struggle to loose weight I exercise every day twice a day now and I can loose a lb most weeks this week no loss. Calcium can't be taken at the same time as your pills and there are supplements you can take to help your body absorb the thyroid hormone. It is good to do research I went out and bought books on hypothryoid when I was first diagnosised. You really have to be proactive with your health.
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am on the same medication and having the same issues. My next appt. with my doctor is in August and I am going to discuss this issue further. It seems as though it is taking a long time to drop any pounds and I am exercising at least 3 days a week at the gym and possibly one or two days at home.
  • FabOma08
    Options

Weight loss is NOT a symptom of low thyroid, it's a symptom of over active thyroid.

I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that I've filled out at least a dozen forms with different doctors for thyroid function and it's listed on all of them. I'm sure they're generic forms to be used by all patients. I'm so sorry I didn't explain that statement satisfactorily!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I was born with hypothyroidism diagnosed at 4 weeks old actually and it was controlled my whole life and monitored and therefore I was a normal healthy weight some would consider thin as a child. Then when I was pregnant my weight skyrocketed and now three children later it is hard to lose the weight. Between my second and third child I did manage to lose 65 lbs through eating healthy and going to the gym 4-5 times a week and it took me about 7 months to lose it. This time around I'm finding it harder