Breakfast before 5K?

Options
I have a 5k tomorrow at 7am and was reading that you should eat a small breakfast an hour or two before. I am a little nervous about eating so early (5:30/6:00) but was thinking a small bowl of oatmeal shouldn't hurt my stomach.

Any perspective or experience with this?

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you normally eat before your runs.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you have been doing for your training runs. Never try something new on race day. You never know how it your body will react.

FWIW, I almost always have a balance bar and a cup of tea before I run (any run, not just races). I am used to doing this and I know how my body handles it.
  • mollyallen89
    mollyallen89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I dont typically eat, or run for that matter, this early in the morning. My training runs are usually 10 or 11am. I think I might run the 5k on an empty stomach and eat something immediately after.

I thought I was prepared, but practicing what I'd be eating beforehand slipped my mind! Thanks for your thoughts.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat anything for such a small race. If you do, go with something you've tried before. For me, it's usually a piece of toast with some PB on it, and half a banana. But the key here is that it won't benefit you at all.
  • mollyallen89
    Options
    You don't need to eat anything for such a small race. If you do, go with something you've tried before. For me, it's usually a piece of toast with some PB on it, and half a banana. But the key here is that it won't benefit you at all.

Hey, small?! I am going to be dying!

Just kidding I see your point. Only started thinking about bfast because I stumbled upon some articles tonight regarding 5k prep. Toast seems like a risk-free option!

• RUN_LIFT_EAT
    Options
    If it's about having a little something in your stomach, then go for it, but there wont be any fueling gains. For that distance, your body will be running off of sugar in your muscles.

Here's a little helpful thing I wrote a while back.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/279198/running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race/p1
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

This.

5k is a pretty small race, a banana would be more than sufficient
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Eat a bowl of oatmeal and 1-2 bananas. Great way to get your glycogen storages ready for your run.
  • mollyallen89
    Options
    If it's about having a little something in your stomach, then go for it, but there wont be any fueling gains. For that distance, your body will be running off of sugar in your muscles.

Here's a little helpful thing I wrote a while back.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/279198/running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race/p1

Super helpful, thank you!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing a 5K tomorrow morning. I plan to have a very light breakfast about an hour before. A small bowl of yogurt with granola and half a banana. Half a cup of coffee for the caffeine. I do better with a little something in my stomach. Without the caffeine, I'll get a headache.

Good luck with your 5K!!
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Personally I would have been up so that I could eat at least 2 hours before the race and would have eaten oats with milk + coffee. But it's something I've done before countless races and training runs so I know what works for me.
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I run 5k upto 5 times a week at the gym at 630am, getting up at 5.45am and don't have a thing beforehand. I once tried to eat and have a coffee before I left the house and felt nauseous. Getting up any earlier to eat earlier just doesn't fit in with me. I'd personally not eat beforehand and eat afterwards. Good luck.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    Options
    When I was competing in triathlons (only half IMs, not full), I'd wake up 2 hours before race time to eat a meal, and always had the hardest time getting the food down. Eating at 4:00 is not easy for someone who doesn't usually eat breakfast at all!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it for a 5K. I'd just have a banana or something right afterwards.

If anything, properly fueling up the day before will be more beneficial. When I do my endurance rides, I put a lot more focus into my diet the two or three days leading up.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm with @ExAZTrailrunner. For a 5k the only thing I would have before the race is a cup of coffee or two. Don't make the mistake I made on my first 5k. I was so intent on being sure I was hydrated that I drank too much and had to run with a full bladder.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    You're fine doing it on an empty stomach.