Motivated to lose weight by looking at someone else's flaws.

EricaEtCetera
EricaEtCetera Posts: 2
edited September 28 in Motivation and Support
I know this may be wrong for me to say but, I want to lose weight even more than I did before because I have been looking at females bigger than me and I tell myself, "I don't want to end up like that". Being a big girl size 20, I can tell you so many stories living in the South. Stories of how females have sat down and bleachers caved in, being turned around on certain rides at the fair, taking up more than half of the passenger seat and breaking shocks out of a car, And those events scared the hell out of me. And don't let me get started about being on an airplane. I can barely fasten my seatbelt without the use of an extender. Just imagine if you had gotten put off a plane cause you were too big! At school, I see some chicks with their backs consisting of almost all of their body, and I am like no!
And finally, I look at myself in pictures and I am like, "I don't feel that big?" But, in reality I am. That is why I want to lose weight. I want to stop the life that lies ahead of me. Am I alone with this? =/

Replies

• wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    You might get a lot of flack for this but I feel this way too every now and then. It happens..... Good luck on gettin where you want to be!!
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    you are not alone, we are all in the same boat...you got this!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I know just came back from bathing suit shopping that will motivate anyone.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    no, your def not alone in this.
  • MizzCNyle
    MizzCNyle Posts: 40
    I'm also a big gal.... at a size 22. I dont feel "big" but I know I need to lose and manage my weight because it continues to pile on.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I was like that and I tell myself that I will never be like that again.
  • JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    Same here. Even at my age I really do not want to be like this anymore. I want to get healthy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    No. The reason I started this journey was -- I saw a woman walking and she was about my size. I couldn't believe that was how *I* looked from the back too. Why didn't anyone tell me? That nameless woman was the motivation I needed to drop the weight. I didn't want to look like that anymore.
  • Thanks guys, I didn't want to be "this girl" for saying my motivation. but I try to be truthfully honest. Make sure to check out my Youtube channel, "Erica Et Cetera Presents". I talk about being a big girl, how to cope and other random topics. Check it out please my fellow members.

http://www.youtube.com/Divawithavoice
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    wow thats so true and your def not alone i never thought i was " that big" but seeing pictures now i cant believe i looked like that thats what keeps me motivated i dont want to be that girl that someone dreads to ever be their size or cant fit on a ride good luck!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Me too!!! I know what you mean and like you said you don't even feel like your that big yourself until you see a picture of yourself so until you get the awakening you need to see where you actually are but I catch myself especially right before I started this journey doing the same thing or I'd look at smaller people the size I would like to be
  • RoseVernon
    RoseVernon Posts: 88
    I do that too! I don't want to be one of those girls that can't fit through the bars at the park to rescue their crying child. I want to feel comfortable with my body in all situations...including at the beach and...in bed!
    8702700.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • I look at my mother in law and how she used to be skinny at my age, and then I look at her now, and I think, i dont want to look like that. definitely motivation to be a MILF on into my 50's.

people can come on here and give you grief for this post, but everyone does it. We all compare ourselves to others.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    I got flamed to bits on another website for saying I felt disgusted by some show on TV where all the people were like, beyond morbidly obese (like, 500-900lb range, bedridden, etc.) and immediately anyone who was even >remotely< obese jumped to their defense. It was just BEYOND me how (for example) a short 250lb woman could BETTER IDENTIFY with a bedridden man who was 550lbs heavier than her and required a whole team of people just to move him than say, someone a bit healthier who weighed only 100lbs less ('cause hey, we're all out to get you or something). Sometimes people respond better to negative reinforcement than positive reinforcement. Kinda like how I'll watch an episode of Hoarders when I need to motivate myself to pick up the house a little. I think when you watch those types of shows and identify more with the extremes it's just a downward spiral of justifying heading further in that direction. But if you watch it and it (strong word) horrifies you a bit into wanting to change for the better, it's a good thing.

I feel for the people on the shows, I really do. One doesn't get into that position without some type of dysfunction, mental illness or unfortunate string of events. But it does serve a purpose and that's to serve as a warning. It saddens me that people don't seem to understand that.

Another negative reinforcement method I use is thinking about the granted, professionals in the mortuary business who have to handle one's remains and the additional costs to the poor family members left behind (larger casket, higher handing fees, more embalming fluid, etc). Kinda like at the end of "What's Eating Gilbert Grape".
  • ajfranzen77
    ajfranzen77 Posts: 118
    I like so many others on here never thought I was "that" big. Made me sick when I finally realized how big I really was!!!! So one day I decided enough was enough and have not looked back. Congrats on beginning your journey! I know you are going to do great!
  • bjdust
    bjdust Posts: 4
    You're not alone. I don't feel "that" big until I look in the mirror and see what everyone else sees. I see women who are bigger than me and think the same thing. How can anyone let that happen but we all know it can happen very easily. Keep at it, stay focused!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    you are not alone, we are all in the same boat...you got this!
    wow, you look really great!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    No - not at all. I feel terrible for looking at people and thinking those thoughts.
    I also feel like I am not as large as I am.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    I was just about to post something similar.
This discussion has been closed.