Body Pump

keiraev
keiraev Posts: 695 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I am going to do a Body Pump class for the first time tomorrow- has anyone else done this and what can I expect?

I am fairly fit but usually shy away from anything that revolves around weights- however I am realising that is not the way forward!

My friend did it and was in pain for days afterwards- I don't want it to put me off going again!

Replies

• tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    i have gone a few times. its ok, mostly women. they cover each area of the body with diff moves and weights. just copy what everyone else gets out before the class, at mine its weights, bar, a matt and a step. stick to small weights and take it slow, because tomorrow you are going to feel it! lol :smile:
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 53 Member
    I haven't done one of these in ages...if you're pretty fit, you should be okay. However, if you don't routinely lift any weight, you should anticipate some stiffness or soreness for a couple of days. Don't be put off by it. Every class gets easier. Just remember to start with light weight. The class involves lots of reps, so make sure you don't overdo it!
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    I love body pump!

Make sure you arrive early and speak to the instructor before hand, they will need to know your new so they can show you the techniques and guide you on which weights to use. Fully reccomend standing at the front until you've got the hang of it too.

The next hour will be full of different weight lifting routines to music which is designed to work each area of your body (squats followed by back track followed by chest track etc).

It's good fun but don't try to keep up with others, they might be doing it wrong or lifting bigger weights because they're a regular. Focus on what your doing and make sure you do whats right for you.

The first time I did it I was so energised after I practically skipped home!
  • sarahmay25
    sarahmay25 Posts: 27 Member
    I loved Body Pump the first few times. It gets repetative after twp weeks of classes. But I really did enjoy the reps we did and the encouragment of everybody lifting around me! I only started with 2.5 lb weights as my light sets, and 5 as my heavy but now 10 is my heavy so it works.
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Definitely go low on the weights and some sets use just the bar maybe with no weight, somebody already said have a quick word beforehand to let them know you're new. Enjoy it, I love body pump, it's the one thing that keeps making me want to join the gym again! Have you looked at the les mills webiste? http://www.lesmills.com/global/bodypump/about-bodypump.aspx
  • keiraev
    nice one for the replies people x
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    I love body pump also

I am not gonna lie though.... the first time you do it, it is gonna hurt and the day after its gonna hurt more! lol dont let this put you off though, stick with it and soon you will be addicted to it! It really does work to tone all the major areas.

First time you go just get there early and tell the instructor its your first time and they can tell you what equipment you will need. Lift light the first time to get the technique right and then you can add more once youve got it!!

Let us know how you get on :D hopefully you will love it!
  • keiraev
    Thought I would bump this thread as I have been doing body pump for a good few weeks now and I love it- I am even going to start going twice a week now as I really want to be able to lift heavier weights. My arms and back are looking better already (unless it's all in my mind!).

Does anyone do a bit of Cardio before Body Pump? I usually do my cardio on different days but apparently you burn more cals if you do some before a class?
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    I do a step class before body pump on Mondays which is hard work. On a Friday I'll usually do about 10/15 mins on he treadmill or x trainer before the class :)
  • valarson5
    valarson5 Posts: 7 Member
    I go to body pump every other day....LOVE IT. If you find a good instructor the class will not become repetitive because they change the routines and music. I have never been stronger -- make sure if you go regularly that you push yourself. Your muscles should be BURNING at the end of each muscle group. I take a Zumba class following pump two days a week. In those two combined classes I will burn 1100 calories. The other days I will either do Body Step or run on the treadmill for my cardio. Cardio before Pump is tough -- fatigues my muscles to where I don't push on the strength. Everyone is different though - be careful, have fun and good luck!
  • Ok so a few idea. Body pump differs slightly from regular weight training as it does work all areas of the body and focuses of muscle endurance and "toning" the body. Indeed it should form a part of anyones exercise routines. Normally gyms offer a technique class for pump which is good for beginners. The idea is to focus on technique and not on upping the weight because correct form means the greatest benefit from this class. Finally the muscle soreness is called Delayed onset of muscle soreness, its a good sign, a sign that pump is working. Last but not least never do classes more than 3 times consecutively as this could cause injury, remember just because the built woman next to you does 40 on the squat track as a newbie don't risk it, go low and work your way up,. I recommend RPM to compliment your body pump training for maximum effect
This discussion has been closed.