I can see weight loss but its not showing on the scale

Options
I'm getting very discouraged on my weigh-in days because i'm not seeing results on the scale. I've been working since June 1st burning more calories than i've eaten everyday. I'm also eating a lot healthier than i was previously. I can feel my body getting smaller aand tightening up but i'm not losing as much weight as i should be through how much exercise i'm doing. I'm now trying to burn at least 2000 calories a day while eating about 1200 or less. Is there anything else i can do to jump start the weight loss? or is there something else going on? I would love any feedback or suggestions!!!!
Thanks so much,
Shannon/Beanster90

Replies

• kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you're burning 2000 calories a day and only eating 1200, or less (the less is dangerous btw) you're going to end up hurting yourself and you will.not.lose.weight. If you're NETTING 1200 calories a day, that's a different story.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Give it more time and don't give up.

I know you didn't want to hear that.

I lost about 5 lbs right off the bat, then plateau'd for A MONTH. A month for pity's sake!!!

But now the weight is just melting off. Almost literally. Half a pound a day sometimes. I've got to get it in check, in fact.

Keep it up!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you're burning that many calories and only taking in 1200 - you're putting your body at a 1000 calorie DEFICIT everyday. That is a good way to ensure you don't lose weight. I know the word on the street has always been that a huge calorie deficit is the way to lose weight. However, ask anyone on this site and they'll tell you -- YOU HAVE TO EAT TO LOSE WEIGHT! Our bodies require a certain number of calories each day just to function (this is known as your BMR - basal metabolic rate). It's important to make sure you're eating enough to give your body fuel to live. When you don't, your body won't lose weight.

If I were you - I would check out MFP's BMR calculator (under tools) and see what your BMR is. Then go from there. I'd definitely increase my calories if I were you.
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I read a quote in a magazine that I try and live by it's "Pay attention to the way your body looks not the number on the scale"
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Maybe your reducing your body fat % but getting more muscular and therefore keeping most of the weight. Also a lot of evidence suggests that even though we consciously try to honestly diary our food and exercise1, and that doing so is an effective way to lose weight, most people tend to underestimate calories, and overestimate exercise.

If you feel better and look better, who cares what you weigh?
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Kimberly's right. You are putting your body in starvation mode. Meaning your body is conserving food because you're not eating enough.

If you're burning 2000 cal a day and eating less than 1200 you're putting yourself in a high caloric deficit which is not good. You need a MINIMUM of 1200 in your body or close to it AFTER working out in order to have a healthy weight loss. Also, 1 lb is equal to 3500 calories so you are also technically trying to loose 4 lbs a week which is NOT recommened for healthy weight loss. Healthy weight loss is anywhere from 1-3 lbs a week.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!
  • cfppro
    cfppro Posts: 7
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself first thing in the morning? If weighing yourself is discouraging stop, switch to measurements and and only do it once a month. Also I have found eliminating hidden sugar from my diet helps.
  • brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    If you can see weight loss but the scale doesn't reflect it, it is probably muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat so your weight can stay the same, but you will look thinner.

I also agree with eating 1200 a day or less and burning 2000 being extremely unhealthy. Your body will start storing fat and you will actually lose muscle. That will definitely hinder weight loss. Upping your intake would probably help you a lot. You need to find out how many calories YOUR BODY ACTUALLY NEEDS a day (based on your height, weight, age, etc), not how many you want it to need.
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Agree! Don't be in a rush.. You are not just changing your weight. If you are to be successful and stay slim you are changing many things about yourself. So it is a very long term project. Be patient.
    You are feeling good...that's the main thing every day. Concentrate on that. The weight loss comes and goes. Who knows why? It's not a simple mathematical equation EVERY day that's sure. You are exercising so you are probably losing fat and gaining some muscle which is heavier. Maybe you are, and should be, drinking more water and hydrating more which your body needs.. If you are eating well you are probably eating more bulky foods rather than high fat content sweet foods. There can be many reasons
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    YOU HAVE TO AIM TO NET 1200 PER DAY... IN THE BEGINNING THE SITE DOES YOUR CALORIES RECOMMENDED TO LOOSE "1.5/1/2 LBS A WEEK" WHATEVER YOU SELECTED --- NO EXERCISE IS NEEDED WITH THIS PROGRAM (ALTHOUGH ITS GOOD FOR BUILDING MUSCLE ETC) BUT SO WHEN U BURN OFF MORE THEN YOU EAT YOUR NETTING NEGATIVE AND THAT WILL STALL WEIGHT LOSS! I JUST FOUND OUT... A FRIEND EXPLAINED IT TO ME OR I WOULD HAVE BEEN CONTINUING THE SAME ROUTE AND PUSHED MY BODY INTO STARVATION MODE......LOOSING LITTLE TO NO WEIGHT & MOST LIKELY GAIN BACK ONCE I STICK TO REGULAR DIET.. SHE CAUGHT ME EARLY SO THIS DIDNT HAPPEN THANK GOODNESS. BUT BASICALLY THE MORE YOU WORK OUT THE MORE FUEL YOU NEED TO OPERATE SO JUST MAKE HEALTHY DECISIONS ( THATS THE HARD PART IM STILL WORKING ON) FOR EATING BACK... HOPE THIS HELPS ;-)
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    First of all when we start exercising we gain muscle which weighs more than fat. So you may see your waist shrinking and still weight the same. That is good because muscle burns more calories than fat.

You should be eating your food calories plus your exercised burn calories. So if you are on a 1200 calories diet and burn 500 calories exercising, you should be eating 1700 calories.

Never eat less than 1200 calories, or you will go into starvation mode. You actually can do that eating more calories if you exercise too much.

I like to yo yo with my calories and exercise. If you do the same thing all the time whether it be eating the same thing or exercising the same, your metabolizm will regulate itself to just what you need. Keep your body guessing.

Keep up the good work, you will do great.
  • beanster90
    Options
    So if my BMR is about 1500 calories a day what would be a good system for how much i should eat and how many calories to burn? I'm very new to this so everything helps!! I''m also trying to lose weight fast because i'm going on vacation in 2 weeks but i don't want to be unhealthy! Thanks for everyones info! it helps a lot!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and get a tape measure! Measure once a month and you WILL see changes! Your body does a juggling act trying to keep weight on. It doesn't want to give in, after all this is new for everyone who starts to eat right and lose weight. It is also VERY hard to be patient because we want to see results from our monumental efforts right off the bat. I was the same way. My body was very stubborn. Just keep eating healthy food. Keep exercising and keep eating your allotted calories and drink your water! I didn't want ot eat my exercise calories at first but it turned out to be okay for me. I have to be honest about my food amounts and activity levels. I stay within 200 calories usually of eating all of my food (under, not over!) Also a good tip that I got was to actually WEIGH my food. Food scales that measure in ounces AND grams are very useful. Get a digital one so it will be easily read. I believe I got mine around $20 or less. It is the Biggest Loser one (becuse it was the cheapest decent looking one I could find). You can get it on Amazon, I believe for around $16ish.

Just be patient. Don't give in, and don't ever stop. You need to complete a good month and keep true to your new habits and it will be much easier than stopping and starting every other day. You have to pay your dues no matter what and you pay it in the first month by holding a steady diet and exercise course and making it through! Only then can you see the true rhythm of your weight loss!

good luck! You can do it! Be patient!! = D Gather many friends!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    So if my BMR is about 1500 calories a day what would be a good system for how much i should eat and how many calories to burn? I'm very new to this so everything helps!! I''m also trying to lose weight fast because i'm going on vacation in 2 weeks but i don't want to be unhealthy! Thanks for everyones info! it helps a lot!

Look at the exercise page tab at the top. Find and check off some exercises that you are likely to do and you can judge your calories there. Then when you actually log in that you "walked for 20 minutes at 3.0 speed" it will automatically add calories to your daily total on your food page. Play around with it and see.
  • beanster90
    Options
    For today i plan to burn about 1900 calories. Does that mean i need to eat 1200+1900? I'm very confused by all this!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    For today i plan to burn about 1900 calories. Does that mean i need to eat 1200+1900? I'm very confused by all this!

dear god eat at least half of your exercice calories. Eat at least 2000 calories.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Ok, so your calorie goal is 1200. You burned 1900. If you have already eaten your 1200 calories. Not good. You have 700 cal to eat for the day and that is NOT enough. The human body needs AT LEAST 1200 before going into starvation mode.

Not eating anything yet, your daily calorie goal is NOW 3100 calories for the day. You need to eat close to if not all of those calories. Usually up to within 200 calories left for the day.

I know this is true because I was sick with Bronchitis for a week back in March and for 3 days I did nothing but sleep most of the day. I also could hardly eat for 4 days and because of that, I ended up gaining back 4 lbs of the 7 I had lost.