anyone training for a half-marathon?

Options
i am signing up for one in june, and then hopefully get to marathon level by sept of 2009. im using runner's world mag and web for training. anyone else out there?:smile:

Replies

• vickster82
    Options
    i am signing up for one in june, and then hopefully get to marathon level by sept of 2009. im using runner's world mag and web for training. anyone else out there?:smile:
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    yup, planning on walking one in june... it's gonna be tough, but we can do it!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am! It will be my 3rd half marathon. Mine is in May. I have used Hal Higdon's plans before and runnersworld has good ones too! Good luck. Join in on our runners club here in the fitness section!

Jess
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing either a half or a full in November - not sure which. I'm nursing a knee injury right now, so we'll see where I'm at in November. Thankfully I've got some time! I did my first 1/2 this past November. It was an incredible experience!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I did one last september after only running for 6 months. Yikes. I am doing it again in Sept. and possibly Nov. Haven't made up my mind yet about the Nov. race. My group is trying to talk me into a full marathon but I am not up for that.:ohwell:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

My goal is to complete a half marathon in October. However, I am NOT a runner. I was horrible in track and field in school. Being top heavy and quite short hasn't helped. I started training last week and it is going better than I thought. I feel my form is getting better --- it doesn't feel so awkward. And I am not quite as winded. I am pretty slow though. I hope I can improve my speed and endurance significantly before the race. I am not in this to win, but I really want to be able to finish and not make a fool out of myself.

What is considered a reasonable time to complete a half marathon in? I plan to both run and speed walk it. What is an average min/mile pace for running? I have no idea if I am doing well or not. I started at 12 min/mile and I am now at 11min/mile, but I am only running for short periods of time --- alternating between walking and running.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • KatWood
    Options
    Vickster,
    I was looking at your photos and I see you are a diver. So am I! My husband and I just came back from a diving honeymoon in Curacao!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

My goal is to complete a half marathon in October. However, I am NOT a runner. I was horrible in track and field in school. Being top heavy and quite short hasn't helped. I started training last week and it is going better than I thought. I feel my form is getting better --- it doesn't feel so awkward. And I am not quite as winded. I am pretty slow though. I hope I can improve my speed and endurance significantly before the race. I am not in this to win, but I really want to be able to finish and not make a fool out of myself.

What is considered a reasonable time to complete a half marathon in? I plan to both run and speed walk it. What is an average min/mile pace for running? I have no idea if I am doing well or not. I started at 12 min/mile and I am now at 11min/mile, but I am only running for short periods of time --- alternating between walking and running.

Any advice would be appreciated.

(I have run two full and 6-7 half marathons, and have another coming up on Sunday) I have friends who run the half marathon in 90 minutes, other friends who take 2.5-3 hours, so find your pace and enjoy the race. Sounds like you are doing the right thing with the walk/run schedule. October is still a long way off. A lot of training plans give you 16 weeks for training before the race, but they assume you can run 20-25 miles a week at week one. (When you find the schedule you want to use, add up the total mileage for the first week. It should be no more than 10 % more than the distance you are running starting the program. SO, if you have to run 20 miles week one, you should already have worked up to 18 miles a week before starting the program). But, you have six months to get to that point, so keep working on your endurance. The speed will come. If you get down to a 10 minute mile, that gives you a race target of 2 hours10-15 minutes. That may put you an hour behind the winner, but, trust me, there will be a lot of company for you back there, so no worries about making a bad showing. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I'm doing one in May which is about a year since I started running. I found this website that has an easy schedule. My goal is to just not die. I don't care about speed, or running intervals or any of that jazz so this one works for me, maybe you too!! :)

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/easy-half-marathon-training-program.html
  • andajane
    Options
    My 1/2 marathon training begins this week. There is a race in May and then another one at the end of June, not sure which one I'm going to do yet. I work at the Running Room and that's where I'm doing my training. Their clinics are awesome!
  • waverly
    Options
    Mine is the beginning of April. I am a little disappointed at how little playing room there is on the site in estimating your daily caloric intake. Mine says 1460 but I am afraid that is going to be too low. The site only allows me to estimate the time I will be working out in general every day....well, all of you know it will vary every workout! Oh well, I guess my body will let me know if I am not getting enough. Although if anyone knows of a good site to estimate this for me, let me know. Thanks!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Mine is the beginning of April. I am a little disappointed at how little playing room there is on the site in estimating your daily caloric intake. Mine says 1460 but I am afraid that is going to be too low. The site only allows me to estimate the time I will be working out in general every day....well, all of you know it will vary every workout! Oh well, I guess my body will let me know if I am not getting enough. Although if anyone knows of a good site to estimate this for me, let me know. Thanks!

You can manually change your settings and as you add in your exercise it will add calories to your daily total. HTH and good luck w/ your HM!!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the illinois 1/2 marathon on April 11. I want to also do another half on June 7th (The Chicago 13.1). The farthest distance I've ran was 8.5 last week on the Las Vegas strip, but my official training begins next week, I'm doing Hal Highdon's...here's a link!

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm

I'm worried though because I want to do the intermediate schedule to really benefit from the calories burned, but will listen to what my body says and rest when I need it. There's only 1 rest day built into the schedule. I will also be training most days indoors as right now there is a blizzard outside.

Best of luck to all! Is anyone running the races I mentioned??
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in May which is about a year since I started running. I found this website that has an easy schedule. My goal is to just not die. I don't care about speed, or running intervals or any of that jazz so this one works for me, maybe you too!! :)

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/easy-half-marathon-training-program.html

Hey! After posting here I read your post, and I like this training schedule better than the Hal Highdon one....I've run quite a bit but by the time I start training next week, I realized that I have taken it "easy" lately. Can't get outside to run but make it to the gym, but really I should start out as a beginner to avoid injury!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I signed up for the illinois 1/2 marathon on April 11. I want to also do another half on June 7th (The Chicago 13.1). The farthest distance I've ran was 8.5 last week on the Las Vegas strip, but my official training begins next week, I'm doing Hal Highdon's...here's a link!

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm

I'm worried though because I want to do the intermediate schedule to really benefit from the calories burned, but will listen to what my body says and rest when I need it. There's only 1 rest day built into the schedule. I will also be training most days indoors as right now there is a blizzard outside.

Best of luck to all! Is anyone running the races I mentioned??

The Great Illini in Champaign??? I was considering the half there! I have a few friends doing the full!! Good luck!

Jess
  • KatWood
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :smile: I know it will get easier the more I work at it.

I was thinking today that maybe I should try a walk-a-thon before October and maybe a 5k race to get a better feel for what the experience is going to be like.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    I trained with the Running Room in Canada and they train with running for 10 minutes and then walk for one minute. It really helps preserve energy during the 1/2 marathon. We did our long runs this way each week and then the shorter runs/hill training for done without stopping. I did the whole half marathon running for 10, walking for 1 and will definitely run my next race in April this way.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I was thinking today that maybe I should try a walk-a-thon before October and maybe a 5k race to get a better feel for what the experience is going to be like.
    That's a great idea. If you haven't done a race before, plan on a 5K maybe during the summer, and maybe a 10 K around Labor day. It will fit into your training schedule anyway, and get you into that 'race day mode', so when the time comes for your 1/2, it won't seem nearly so daunting.

I looked at some of the 1/2 training schedules that people suggested, and I overestimated the running involved on my previous post (but the theory remains the same). So you may only be looking at 12 weeks race prep and only need to start at 15 miles / week, so you only have to get yourself to the point of running about 13 miles / week to get ready for the program.
  • KatWood
    Options

That's a great idea. If you haven't done a race before, plan on a 5K maybe during the summer, and maybe a 10 K around Labor day. It will fit into your training schedule anyway, and get you into that 'race day mode', so when the time comes for your 1/2, it won't seem nearly so daunting.

I looked at some of the 1/2 training schedules that people suggested, and I overestimated the running involved on my previous post (but the theory remains the same). So you may only be looking at 12 weeks race prep and only need to start at 15 miles / week, so you only have to get yourself to the point of running about 13 miles / week to get ready for the program.

Thanks for your help. I will definitely look into what 5Ks are happening this summer!