Anybody else here ADDICTED to fast food?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    This is the one thing that really holds me back. I am looking forward to being mostly carless next week cause I will stay home and eat better. My kids love fast food / restaurants so I am fighting inner demons and little voices from the back seat too! I am learning a lot by using this sight though. 1 whopper = 1 1/2 big macs = 4 krystals with cheese. I can eat 1 krystal and feel like I had something so now I have a plan for next time. I am not ready to commit to 'never-again.'
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    Yeah. My Husband makes these amazing Jalepeno Cheese Burger and Steak Fries and I just have a serving of each and it's not that bad for you at all. Just gotta get the real lean meats and stuff. Anyways, I am not addicted to food in itself, just fast food. I don't eat a lot, I don't think about food all the time, I would rather (or used too) go out and get fast food for dinner instead of a home cooked meal because I felt like it tasted better and was delicious. It is an addiction. I know there are chemicals in that stuff. I'm going to school for Substance Abuse Counseling so I know a little bit about what addiction does to the body.

Also, I'm not one of those people who can dip into fast food every now and then. Like once a month, or even go through the drive-thru and get something healthier. For me, it's best to just stay away from it all together.
  • Happygreenmom
    Happygreenmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't particulartly like fast food, but I must be addicted to it, because I find myself eating it when there is great food in my fridge and no reason for me to eat out. It's quite alarming really. I have even found myself eating out as a reward to myself... it's really no good. I am trying to stay away now. I had a relapse the other day, but I'm holding strong now. :happy:
  • kissandxmakeup
    Options
    It's the worst to stop eating something that used to bring you so much comfort. You're doing so great though, and that definitely counts for something! If you MUST go out for fast food, get the salads (no dressing, just use your own at home!). Subway is my go-to fast food, but when a drive thru is a must, I stick with salads and fruit. BK Apple Fries are deelish (nix the caramel!) and I like their Tendergrill salads (just had one for lunch!). Wendy's has delicious salads and fruit cups, and I like Taco Bell's fresco tacos. As you can see, I've had to watch what I'm eating at fast food quite a bit because my boyf and friends love fast food, and I don't want to feel like I'm missing out and just set myself up for failure. Try and pick the best that you can in those situations. Ten pounds isn't small potatoes! You're doing fabulous!
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    All in all you have to do what works for you. If you feel like completely cutting it out of your diet is what will work best, then that's what you should do.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i'm not addicted to fast food but wow am i addicted to starbucks!! i could drink that every day but limit myself to 1 per week
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Part of your problem might be that you are seriously depriving yourself and you finally break down and eat comfort food. Losing 5 lbs a week isn't healthy and it may be that you finally are so hungry that you can't stand it anymore. I used to eat fast food sometimes, when I was tired and hungry, I would do the easiest thing, which was to go through the drivethru. Today was a case in point. I got home from being out of town and by the time I got unpacked and looked through the mail, it was already an hour and a half past my lunch time. I drove to Chick Fil A and got a chicken sandwich (original) and a diet lemonade. When I got home to eat it, I took the top bun off. So my meal was a total of 360 calories. In the old days, I'd eat the whole sandwich, diet lemonade and waffle fries. I don't want to think how many calories that was! It's all about making good choices.
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie "FOOD, INC"... once you see where the meat comes from for fast food places and the chemicals they put into it.. i.e. - ammonia... you'll never eat it again.

Read "The Omnivores Dilemma" as well... know where your food comes from. After all... we are what we eat.

I love FOOD INC!!! It just adds to the will power.

I very rarely eat fast food. My motivation is looking at the calories of what I'm thinking about eating before I actually order it. Not to mention the fat content, holy cow. I even feel the years of guilt on my shoulders from eating all those caramel frappuchinos from starbucks. I look at the nutrition facts now, and I just feel disgusted that I put that in my body over and over, sometimes daily. I say to myself, if I think I'll feel guilty after I eat it, I probably shouldn't eat it. Simple as that.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Super Size Me scared me straight. Food, Inc. is also outstanding.

Once you quit and stay quit from junk food, it's hard to go back to it. I feel like a million bucks these days (better sleep, so much more energy, can focus and concentrate longer) compared to how I felt when most of my diet was junk. I went to Wendy's today and coudn't finish the fries or the sandwich I got at all, something unheard of before.
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    It's the worst to stop eating something that used to bring you so much comfort. You're doing so great though, and that definitely counts for something! If you MUST go out for fast food, get the salads (no dressing, just use your own at home!). Subway is my go-to fast food, but when a drive thru is a must, I stick with salads and fruit. BK Apple Fries are deelish (nix the caramel!) and I like their Tendergrill salads (just had one for lunch!). Wendy's has delicious salads and fruit cups, and I like Taco Bell's fresco tacos. As you can see, I've had to watch what I'm eating at fast food quite a bit because my boyf and friends love fast food, and I don't want to feel like I'm missing out and just set myself up for failure. Try and pick the best that you can in those situations. Ten pounds isn't small potatoes! You're doing fabulous!

Oh I love Subway (= I usually don't crave fast food unless I'm hungry so I try to stay satisfied. That food makes you feel sluggish and nasty. I know about the fresco menu at Taco Bell. I actually hate it, I think it's gross. LOL. I would just rather not eat out. I kind of like better that way because at least I know and can control what I put in my food ya know?
  • kissandxmakeup
    Options

Oh I love Subway (= I usually don't crave fast food unless I'm hungry so I try to stay satisfied. That food makes you feel sluggish and nasty. I know about the fresco menu at Taco Bell. I actually hate it, I think it's gross. LOL. I would just rather not eat out. I kind of like better that way because at least I know and can control what I put in my food ya know?

I totally agree with you! I would just rather not eat out and avoid having to make the tough decisions and feeling like crap afterwards. I just need to keep my fridge stocked and all my veggies and fruit cut up and portioned. (I bought a food scale at a dollar store and stand by my words when I say it's the best dollar I have ever spent! lol) I think I might start cooking for the week on Sunday so I can never say "I don't have time to make anything," or "I'm too tired." lol