Gained this week. Feeling low

Options
Feeling soo down. Started 4 weeks ago & lost 8.5lbs in 3 weeks.
Just weighed n have put on 2.5lbs.
Just don't understand.
I am on 1200. Don't always use them tho. Drink between 2 & 3 litres water per day.
I weigh my food and eat lots of fruit & veg as I am vegetarian.
Don't exercise at moment due to health issues.
What can I do? Or what am I doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Replies

• fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You aren't doing anything wrong - it is probably water weight - your weight fluctuates on a daily basis so if you are only weighing once a week you could hit an "up" day that makes it look like you gained a lot. Just keep doing what you are doing - although 1,200 is really low.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate during your monthly cycle, as your body holds on to more water at certain points in the cycle. So you may not be doing anything wrong at all. Just be patient, your body will likely drop the weight as you continue sticking to your calorie goal :)
  • patsy1360
    patsy1360 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't have a monthly cycle any more, but I guess I could still retain water at certain times.
    I will stick with it & hopefully lose next week.
    Thank you for you support. Means a lot. xx
  • patsy1360
    Options
    fvtfan wrote: »
    You aren't doing anything wrong - it is probably water weight - your weight fluctuates on a daily basis so if you are only weighing once a week you could hit an "up" day that makes it look like you gained a lot. Just keep doing what you are doing - although 1,200 is really low.

I thought 1200 was a lot. I am 4ft 11" & currently weigh 181lbs (12st 13lbs).
    I really want to shift the excess weight so my health is better & so I can feel better about myself.
    At the moment I hate the way I look & feel
  • craigbullers
    craigbullers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    patsy1360 wrote: »
    I don't have a monthly cycle any more, but I guess I could still retain water at certain times.

I found it is best to weigh in first thing in the morning for more consistent weigh inns,
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It is NOT linear, don't sweat it. As long as you are weighing and measuring your caloric intake properly, and not over-estimating your burn, AND maintaining a caloric deficit, in the long run you WILL succeed!!!

But, it doesn't ALWAYS follow a straight line. In the beginning, it is also (normally) primarily water weight. STICK to it, and you shall WIN!!!
  • Ariillynn
    Ariillynn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been there. The feeing sucks. You work so hard and sometimes don't loose. I had respiratory issues that prevented me from working out for a while so I would just do some stretches to keep moving and walking at a briar pace helps a lot to! Just continue to eat good and try some walking or light stretching. Don't give up!!!
  • patsy1360
    Options

I found it is best to weigh in first thing in the morning for more consistent weigh inns,

Yeah. I weighed this morn but was actually same. However I think I will start weighing in morns.
    Thankyou. xx
  • patsy1360
    Options
    bainr56 wrote: »
    I've been there. The feeing sucks. You work so hard and sometimes don't loose. I had respiratory issues that prevented me from working out for a while so I would just do some stretches to keep moving and walking at a briar pace helps a lot to! Just continue to eat good and try some walking or light stretching. Don't give up!!!

Thanks hun. I too have respiratory issues & joint problems.
    I have a fitbit which tracks my steps every day. I am hoping this is just a one off & that I will lose next week.
    It's good to have somd positive feedback from people.
    Don't feel as low now.
    Thankyou. This means soo much to me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It goes up and down because of a variety of factors. The most common one is water retention either from eating a meal with a lot more sodium than you are used to, water retained because of starting a new work out program, or water retained because of an increase in carbs consumed after eating less carbs for a period of time. The other thing that can mess up weight measurements is food working its way through your system. What you eat weighs something, and even not being constipated there can be a lot of food in your digestive tract.

For all of this, give it time. One week going up is not a trend especially since you lost weight for the weeks before at a rapid rate that most people unless over 80 pounds overweight cannot maintain for long. Keep going. Oh, it can take a week or more for water weight to come off sometimes. I speak from experience.
  • patsy1360
    Options
    faidwen wrote: »
    It is NOT linear, don't sweat it. As long as you are weighing and measuring your caloric intake properly, and not over-estimating your burn, AND maintaining a caloric deficit, in the long run you WILL succeed!!!

But, it doesn't ALWAYS follow a straight line. In the beginning, it is also (normally) primarily water weight. STICK to it, and you shall WIN!!!

Aw thankyou. I really know this,as I am a serial dieter, but don't listen to myself!
    I hsve done Weight Watchers several times; lost weight & put it all back on again! Tried Slimming World too.
    I start off really focussed & after I do well I go back to my old ways.
    I am suvh a failure.. x
  • patsy1360
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It goes up and down because of a variety of factors. The most common one is water retention either from eating a meal with a lot more sodium than you are used to, water retained because of starting a new work out program, or water retained because of an increase in carbs consumed after eating less carbs for a period of time. The other thing that can mess up weight measurements is food working its way through your system. What you eat weighs something, and even not being constipated there can be a lot of food in your digestive tract.

For all of this, give it time. One week going up is not a trend especially since you lost weight for the weeks before at a rapid rate that most people unless over 80 pounds overweight cannot maintain for long. Keep going. Oh, it can take a week or more for water weight to come off sometimes. I speak from experience.

Really! U didn't know a lot of this. It's good to know.
    I am almost 57yrs 4ft 11" and weigh 186 (12st 13lbs). I should really only be just over 110lbs (7st 10lbs) for my height; but as gp said just to get to 140lbs (10st) will be ok and not read too much into what weight I should be for my height as everyone is different.
    Thankyou for this info & I will keep going
  • patsy1360
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Thankyou. Don't really want to do that as people I know may see it & I am soo self conscious just now. Don't really want friends or family knowing what I weigh.
  • patsy1360
    Options

Changed the diary settings to public.
    Hope my weight isn't made public too. xx
  • kshama2001
    Options

Changed the diary settings to public.
    Hope my weight isn't made public too. xx

Thanks! I can see your diary but not your weight :)
  • kshama2001
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ok, I see a lot of bananas that are always exactly 100 grams, tangerines that are always exactly 200 grams, and one calorie apples. There's no weight for your grapes, and you used a user-created entry for them. Many other entries have suspiciously round numbers.

You should get better results if you tighten up your weighing and logging.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Along with tightening up logging, I would also suggest that eating more protein and fat will help. They both help with feeling full and satisfied longer. Remember 1200 is your goal, not under 1200. Also, calories burnt by intentional exercise should be eaten as well. If you are concerned if exercise calories are over estimated, eating 50 to 75 percent of them would be fine. Eating 700-900 calories a day will not sustain you, it will not provide the nutrients you need, and will more than likely lead to failure long term.
  • patsy1360
    Options

Thank you soo much. This support helps.xx
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Feeling soo down. Started 4 weeks ago & lost 8.5lbs in 3 weeks.
    Just weighed n have put on 2.5lbs.
    Just don't understand.
    I am on 1200. Don't always use them tho. Drink between 2 & 3 litres water per day.
    I weigh my food and eat lots of fruit & veg as I am vegetarian.
    Don't exercise at moment due to health issues.
    What can I do? Or what am I doing wrong. Any suggestions?

The best advice I got on this site that spared me this torment was understanding that weight loss isn't linear. If you look at your trend... You've lost 1.5 pounds a week and that's awesome!

Follow the trend... Not the fluctuations on the scale.

Good luck!