Slow results....very frustrated need some help and support

Options
I've been at it for a month, eating at the recommended level for me (1200-1300 calls since I'm older, and small) and exercising 5x a week and seeing very little results...just 3 lbs lost and none during the last 2 weeks or so? I try to eat well, hard with that calorie limit but I'm managing somewhat. I take a multivitamin. Bottom line is- I've struggled with restricted eating before (won't call it anorexia because I was able to stop in time) and I'm trying hard to hope that doing things "the right way" is going to work...but I don't know.

What is realistic to expect for weight loss on this healthy method? how can I speed things up a little without slipping into unhealthy territory?

I'm questioning- will it work at all for me to eat 1200 calls a day, since I'm 40 and 5' tall and 133 lbs and my BMR is actually 1300???? Won't I have to go lower?

Replies

• jrek521
    jrek521 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What are your workouts like? Mostly strength or cardio or blend of both? If you're gaining muscle, it could mess with the numbers on the scale. Do your clothes feel like they fit differently, or are workouts seeming easier? Monitor your measurements, as well as the scale, because you might be getting smaller without realizing it.
    I struggled with disordered eating for years. The number on the scale can be the worst tracking method for me at times so I've learned to look at the non-scale successes.
    Healthy, realistic weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week (according to the CDC).
  • freesoul
    freesoul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My workouts are run/walks- currently 15 min jog/30 min walking, in sets of 2-3 running intervals. I try to add a few min every week to my goal of 30 min running.

I was sick for a couple years and lost a lot of ground fitness-wise, so this is what I can do for now. I am thinking of adding yoga once or twice a week.

I put on 25 lbs while sick- I want it off so i can fit into my pretty pre-illness clothes!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week is healthy losing! You probably won't lose more rapidly than that ( only people who are very obese lose rapidly like 5 lbs or something).

Results don't happen overnight it took time to get where you are now and it will take equally as long to get off ( generally) it took me a year to lose 35 lbs but it was frustrating I wanted it to be quick!

Just keep doing what you're doing and don't go below 1200 or 1300 calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jrek521 wrote: »
    What are your workouts like? Mostly strength or cardio or blend of both? If you're gaining muscle, it could mess with the numbers on the scale. Do your clothes feel like they fit differently, or are workouts seeming easier? Monitor your measurements, as well as the scale, because you might be getting smaller without realizing it.
    I struggled with disordered eating for years. The number on the scale can be the worst tracking method for me at times so I've learned to look at the non-scale successes.
    Healthy, realistic weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week (according to the CDC).

its doubtful she is gaining muscle with that small of a caloric intake aside from newbie gains and it most likely would not be enough to mess with the scale a month in (muscle is gained in a surplus). OP are you weighing all your foods on a food scale? if not you could be eating more than you think,especially if you are eyeballing portions or using measuring cups for solids. how much weight do you expect to lose in a month? 3 lbs is a good start and you will weight can stall/pleateau from time to time its normal.also the less weight you have to lose the slower it comes off. do you have your goal set to lose .5lbs a week? with only 25 lbs a week,thats where you should have it set.anything higher may be too aggressive of a goal. just keep doing what you are doing and give it some time. it can take your body a little time to catch up. also make sure that you eat back at least 25-75% of your exercise calories burned. you dont want to net under 1200,a day here and there wont hurt but its not good long term.
  • freesoul
    freesoul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, Charlie, I am using measuring cups- can't afford a scale right now, but I try to over-estimate a little as safeguard. It's true that I lost some...I guess I need reassurance...this is super SLOW compared to results before (on very disordered patterns!) and I have a hard time trusting it, esp when the scale hasn't budged in two weeks despite all my hard work :(
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Once you get a scale and you are sure about the amount of food you are eating you will probably see consistent results.

If not, then I would suggest that you consult a doctor. It is possible to go lower in calories, but you should do that with professional supervision so that you are sure you are staying healthy, especially considering your past problems.

Slow progress is still progress. Maybe it would be better for you to only weigh yourself once a month. Set eating and exercise goals and track your progress with those. That will give you victories to focus on instead of just the scale.

I really think that accurate weights and measures will help you. When you are small, the margin for error is also small, so you have to be really sure about how many calories you are eating.

Please be careful. Remember, your goal is to be healthy not to win a weight loss race.
  • chillrae
    chillrae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm here for ya! I had anorexia and recovered about a year ago. I started eating and one thing lead to another and now I need to lose 22 lbs. I'm trying not to restrict. I have gained trying to lose. Ppl tell me to keep trying...are you on any meds? And also drink lots of water
  • surfingmourir
    surfingmourir Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about past struggles and current frustration. There are several things you may want to try that could help. Look at your protein ratio. Proteins should be about .8 grams per lb of body weight. Since protein is typically low in calories, you can actually eat more and feel full within the same calorie restriction. Try to eat carbs, in form of resistant starches is even better, to keep the digestion steady, along with your protein. Take body measurements as a different way to track progress. Weight fluctuates with water/ dehydration and hormones. Think long term goals, not short term. Its a journey and small progress adds up quickly. Finally, if you continue to have problems, don't beat yourself up. Seek the help of a dietician. With your past, your metabolism has to be recovering still from near starvation mode. A dietician should be able to help. It may be you actually need to eat more to weigh less, breaking that survival mechanism you may have triggered previously. I wish you the bestof luck and hope you start seeing the fruits of all your efforts soon.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    freesoul wrote: »
    Yes, Charlie, I am using measuring cups- can't afford a scale right now, but I try to over-estimate a little as safeguard. It's true that I lost some...I guess I need reassurance...this is super SLOW compared to results before (on very disordered patterns!) and I have a hard time trusting it, esp when the scale hasn't budged in two weeks despite all my hard work :(

food scales are cheap now adays and sold practically everywhere. but you are losing even though its slow its still a loss. give it some time and see if you continue to lose,even if its a small amount a loss is a loss.if you eat a lot of high sodium foods it can also make it look like you arent losing because you are retaining water. be patient and when you can get a scale. it makes a BIG difference and really opens you eyes when it comes to portion sizes.anything worth while takes time.I have 15-25 lbs to lose yet and for me its been a really slow go,but I see a difference in my body and my fat so that helps me realize that the scale is not always going to be accurate sometimes you lose inches before it shows on the scale as well. if after a few months you havent lost(with weighing and logging accurately) then I agree with others and see a dr.