Liver tips

Options
Ok, so I bought some frozen beef liver.

Any tips on how I could cook it in such a way that my wife won't know it's liver until after she's tried it?
Crock pot maybe?

Also, neither of us like onions so traditional liver and onions is out.

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Fava beans and a nice chianti? I don't eat liver. I want to hear how she likes it
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Dump a bunch coconut oil on it! Or bleach! Blech!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Any tips on how I could cook it in such a way that my wife won't know it's liver until after she's tried it?
    Crock pot maybe?

Liver has a disinctive taste and it's doubtful you can hide that to "fool" her. How 'bout breading it and frying?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Soak it in milk (or buttermilk) for awhile before cooking, and don't overcook it or it will become tough and grainy.

If you're trying to disguise it, try something like this

http://www.vahrehvah.com/indianfood/liver-masala/
  • KillerKel01
    KillerKel01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Liver has many benefits to health. Preparing it makes all the difference as to texture and flavor, and deciding to eat it again. I have not perfected this technique, but Mom is the BEST liver fryer. A couple pats of butter, A table spoon of cold pressed EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), dices onions sautéed first, then add the serving of liver over just below medium heat and Mmmmm. Better than steak, and will taste like venison. Pure and healthy. Monitor your iron intake.....
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Liver Tips < Rib Tips

Honestly I've never attempted to prepare it, so that's the most I have to contribute to this thread.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
    I've never had it and I'm pretty sure she hasn't either.
    I got it basically to see if I like it but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't try it if I told her what it is. Lol
    I may go with the breaded and fried routine...

ETA I realize I can only disguise the looks of it. No way she takes a second bite without asking what it is. Lol
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My exMother-in-law used to broil it. I liked it a lot.
    Also, liver has a distinct smell. I don't think you'll be able to hide it.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Liver Tips < Rib Tips

Honestly I've never attempted to prepare it, so that's the most I have to contribute to this thread.

I have yet to confirm but I suspect this is so much truth.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    ^^ yeah, if she doesn't wonder what it is while you're cooking it, she either out of the house, or has a head cold.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Make leverpostei. You have to look up recipes you like yourself, but this one looks promising.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    ^^ yeah, if she doesn't wonder what it is while you're cooking it, she either out of the house, or has a head cold.

You're on to me. She's out with a friend this afternoon and I'm thinking I may be able to fix it while she's gone.
    "Look honey I made supper while you were out..."
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Soak it in milk (or buttermilk) for awhile before cooking, and don't overcook it or it will become tough and grainy.

If you're trying to disguise it, try something like this

http://www.vahrehvah.com/indianfood/liver-masala/

Strongly seconded. I enjoy liver (usually with onions, though) if it's cooked correctly. If overcooked, it's absolutely disgusting.

You're on to me. She's out with a friend this afternoon and I'm thinking I may be able to fix it while she's gone.

Air the house out real well. As you're about to discover, liver has a very distinctive smell when cooking. :)
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    my dogs love the stuff'
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    my dogs love the stuff'

Mine too. He gets it once a week.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Fava beans and a nice chianti?

Haha!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I hope your couch is comfortable to sleep on... :sick:
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who never ate liver or any offal back when I was omnivore so I can't contribute much lol

But I just want to echo what was said about the smell. She'll know it's not normal meat. At the home I work in they make liver once a month...honestly you can't escape the smell, it's horrible. It may be an idea to cook it when she's out of the house and maybe cook it along with some veg that also has a strong smell. Maybe cauliflower?

^Don't want to offend any liver eaters, just my humble opinion.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Those I know who eat it for health benefits but do not enjoy the taste hide it in flavorful dishes such as sloppy joes, about 1/4 pound finely diced per 1 pound of beef.

Crockpot is going to make the whole house smell...not something I would do to hide it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Crock pot maybe?

You're cruel :naughty: