what did you do to lose weight?

Options
Just wondering what everyone has done to lose weight?
Exercise, I mean.

Replies

• _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    eat less, move more........walking, elliptical, treadmill, stair climbing............now I just eat in a deficit and hit the weights hard
  • delsey2007
    delsey2007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat under my calorie goal on here and what I was given on a website I used. I've been trying to do AT LEAST 30 minutes of cardio a day (walking on a treadmill briskly, stationary bike, or elliptical) and I've started to lift weights to work on my arms. I'm weak but it's a start. I'm getting married in October and going to the beach for my honeymoon and let me tell you nothing motivates a girl like a wedding dress.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Logged on MFP everyday, weighed my food and followed my calorie goal. Exercised when I could.
  • _Figgzie_
    Options
    when it comes to weights, progressive overload is key........as long as you are continually challenging your muscles by adding more weight, sets, reps your muscle will be forced to get stronger..........if you are getting stronger while you are eating in a deficit then you will keep all your muscle and lose nothing but fat! pretty cool
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    delsey2007 wrote: »
    Just wondering what everyone has done to lose weight?
    Exercise, I mean.

I eat at deficit. But in order to accomplish that, I exercise everyday to earn back enough calories to keep me satisfied.

Some days that Includes running, but every day I make sure to incorporate a lot of walking throughout the day.

• delsey2007
    Options
    I'm very out of shape so I do what I can without physically exhausting myself too much. I started with walking at 3mph for 20-30 minutes and if I feel I can do more I get on the bike or elliptical. The weights I started with are only 8 lbs but my arms are very weak. I wonder how long until I see real progress. My diet isn't GREAT but it's under my goal and I've since given up soda and cut eat back on carbs. Heck, cutting pop alone cut a great deal of carbs and calories (I was drinking nearly give cans a day or more). I drink tea, green and lemon, both sugar free and water at the gym. I'm down a belt notch (actually could say two if I wanted) and about 3 lbs in a week.
  • delsey2007
    Options
    Five* lbs
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    By eating the same stuff I used to eat, only less of it.
  • _Figgzie_
    Options
    When I was over 300 pounds I quit drinking my calories.............I used to drink a 2 litre bottle of Mountain Dew EVERY DAY.............I quit the sodas, foo foo coffee drinks, limited my alcohol and I lost 20 pounds alone doing just that!!!
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm a Beachbody coach, so I usually stick to those programs, especially since my schedule sucks in terms of finding time to physically go to the gym. My absolute go-to is Les Mills Combat! In January, I lost 20 lbs and over 15 inches :) I think the biggest thing is finding the type of workout that you enjoy the most, and focusing on that. Something about punching and kicking and everything that comes with LM Combat makes me feel like a total badass and I love doing it, so it means I'm willing to do it more often.
  • gokarty
    gokarty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eat the food you enjoy just VERY small portions. As you can see from other posts here, the answer is to burn more calories than you take in. That's what makes this website so valuable, if you log your food you will know how many calories you have to burn. I've been doing it so long that I really no longer need to list all my foods. Eventually you will get a feel for the foods and the portion sizes and you can relax a bit ... as long as you BURN CALORIES. I burn calories doing things that I love to do like racket ball, skiing, and biking. Don't tell me that you can't ... work up to it. I just turned 76 years old this month and have had to watch my food intake for as long as I can remember. I have never been athletic, I just TRY to keep moving. Oh, and drink a little wine when you can afford the calories. It'll help you relax.
  • lucy_girl
    lucy_girl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can try Leslie Sansone walk at home videos. I found them on youtube. They'll get you moving and she incorporates some light strength training. They're various lengths starting with a 15 minute power walk.
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym every morning except Sunday and do an hour of fairly intense cardio. I push myself to do more every day. About a month ago, I started alternating the steady state cardio with high intensity interval training. On the HIIT days, I do about a half hour of HIIT and follow with about a half hour of moderate steady state cardio.

At night, I do strength training with DH. I warm up and cool down with 12 minutes of cardio and we do about an hour of weights, alternating upper and lower body.

For food, I log and stay below my calorie limit. I haven't denied myself anything but have decided some things aren't worth the calorie count - apple ale, deep dish pizza and blueberry donuts. I still eat chocolate, just in moderation. I ate Christmas cookies but always within my calorie limit.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started out just walking. Added in weights after I was down about 35lbs. Started running at about 75lbs down. Now I'm down 97lbs. Still running and doing weights. Going to add in yoga and floor hockey.
    Diet wise, calorie counting. Started at 1800 a day, now at 1600-1700.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Just find something you enjoy. If you try something and hate it, you won't do it. Personally, I like two things: lifting and tennis. If I had to use a treadmill every day, I would just stay fat. I would never do it, because I hate it. That said, weight loss is about calorie deficit 95%. Exercise because it's good for your body in the long term. I've seen people in their 50s and 60s who didn't exercise - they look like and act like they're 90. I'd rather be 90 and look and feel 50.
  • DC0hen
    DC0hen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I got started by doing a juice fast 7 month ago. It was great because my body received the macro nutrients it needs. Watch Fat, Sick, and nearly dead. You don't have to be any of those but the message is there.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm watching my calories and doing T25. Just like others have said, pick an exercise you like and stick to it. It doesn't matter how you burn your calories, as long as you burn them.

Just remember, proper nutrition makes you look good in your clothes. Proper exercise makes you look good naked. And don't forget, abs are made in the kitchen.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Lost the weight calorie counting and cardio daily, trying to keep the weight off by weight lifting and watching macros.
  • LoreleiLoreleiLorelei
    LoreleiLoreleiLorelei Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sorry.. first time on here I can't figure out how to delete this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!