Emotional Eating

Options
I figured out a long time ago that I was an emotional eater. I don't smoke, I drink only occasionally, and I have never felt the need to even experiment with drugs. Food was my thing I turned to when I wanted to relax and forget about my problems. I had a boyfriend years ago that said I just needed to not eat the bad stuff like it was no big deal. He'd give me a hard time if there was a candy wrapper in my car. I still feel like I have to hide fast food containers even though my husband really doesn't care if I am overweight or not. I guess I want to know if anyone else has been through this and what do you do when you feel tempted to feed your depression with a package of oreos. Today was my day 1 and I've eaten a dozen peanut butter chocolate chip cookies just out of stress and boredom. I've heard people describe what its like to quit smoking and I feel like that about junk food. Am I crazy or is junk food an addiction for some people?

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Food addiction is hotly debated here. In my opinion it doesn't matter whether it is truly addicting or not if you are having an issue with it. The medical professionals that are helping me believe food is an addiction for some people just like drugs and alcohol are.

I have had some success by not having food in the house that I will overeat. The struggle isn't worth it to me because I can't rest knowing the cookies or whatever is in reach. I still mess up though. I will buy or make something that I think I will moderate but fail.

I log everything before I eat it. The good, the bad and the ugly. When I see lots of calories disappearing from my allowance it might stop me knowing that I am going to be hungry later.

I also leave room for a treat every day even though nutritionally I shouldn't because I am eating 1200 calories. Need those calories to be as nutritious as possible. think it helps that I know I have something I think of as a treat coming if I keep my calories where they should be.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time and keep interacting with the dieters here. You will be amazed by all the knowledge, support and expertise you will find here. Food can easily become a best friend and a comforter but we soon learn how to redirect our emotions. You will reach the place where food no longer controls you and your confidence will soar. And don't let anyone ever make you feel guilty. :)
  • jbartram5656
    jbartram5656 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request. You and I have the same struggle.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The semantics always get rough on this subject. I tackle the problem by not buying stuff I know I'm likely to overeat. Instead I eat food I enjoy, in proper amounts.
  • Anne_R91
    Anne_R91 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think part of it is due to association, as it is the same case partially with alcohol and cigarettes (for me). When I quit drinking and smoking I realized I conditioned myself to link those things with destressing. Same with food and a relaxing day on the couch.
    The most helpfull tip I found is to consiously try to dissasociate the bad habbit. In your case I would try to find another way that helps comfort emotional times, and see if you can teach yourself not to link dealing with emotion to eating.
    A lot easyer said than done, I know. But it's information that helped me. :)
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    The semantics always get rough on this subject. I tackle the problem by not buying stuff I know I'm likely to overeat. Instead I eat food I enjoy, in proper amounts.

This. I just don't buy it anymore.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have always done exactly what you describe, in fact I think it was/is ingrained in my families culture. I have so many wonderful memories, from growing up, that revolve around food. For instance when we would go snow skiing in the winter my grandparents would take the whole family out to pizza on our way home. The kids would play video games or play in the giant play place and eat pizza everyone always seemed so happy. Same with birthdays, so much so for years with my kids we would do birthdays at a pizza place because well I had lots of happy memories there.
    When I was sad or stressed I would try and I guess recreate those positive family memories and order pizza or something. I would eat because I was sad, then I was sad because I was fat, and that led to more eating. Just today I have a 4-6 page diversity and inclusion paper due for school, I was stressed and I started to hit the vending machine at work for some snacks. I realized before i Put the money in I wasnt even hungry, I was stressed. Put the money back in my pocket and walked away...it is hard to be mindful of things like that and it takes constant practice.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I eat when bored, too. One thing I do is weigh out a portion. I can always get more, but it helps me recognize how much I am eating.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Great thread and so many voices that make sense to me. All of that - recreating family memories, destressing ...

I eat for soothing those emotional raw edges, rewarding myself for staying on a tedious task, alleviating boredom when I'm too low energy to stick to a plan, comforting myself when I feel small or alone. Ironically the "best friend" food really is isolating and doesn't work in the longer long run, because it traps me in a body that can't do what I want to do.

Whether it's an actual "addiction" or not (and the debate is hot) -- overeating for me is a coping mechanism gone *horribly* wrong. That's why I need MFP. Logging really helps. An honest look at what I am doing keeps me far more accountable.

Good luck OP, you are NOT alone!
  • denisen905
    denisen905 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater. I can easily eat a dozen cookies without batting an eye.
    I bought this book called "Eating the moment" by Pavel Somov. Got it on amazon for like $4.
    Anyway, it has actual assignments to help you be more mindful when you are eating. I've only just started but I like that it has you take baby steps to become more aware of what and why you are eating. Maybe it could help you, too.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started forcing myself to work out after having bad days. Almost my whole life, I dealt with stress, depression etc with food, and yo yo dieted a million times. It wasn't until I turned to exercise that I really started making headway in that area. It was extremely difficult at first. I would want to cry because I wanted so badly to lose myself in a big bowl of ice cream instead. But I kept forcing it, and over time it became much easier because the exercise actually does help, whereas in the past, food only helped temporarily then left me feeling worse afterwards.
    I'm still a work in progress but I haven't done any emotional eating in over 13 months. Exercise is amazing for mental health. (Not a cure all, obviously. But helps immensely, at least for me).