Snacking problems

Options
I have just recently started logging and so far I am enjoying it. It is really helping as I am wanting to shift 1 stone. My major downfall is my snacking especially in work. Everyday when I compare my calorie percentage, snacks to dinner is almost a 2:1 ratio.
What can I put in place for snacking.

P.s. Chocolate is my major major problem!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I don't snack. Who says you need to snack?
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You can snack, but what you snack on is key
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of snacks too. I plan for it by bringing healthy snacks to work with me, and always plan my day around a little chocolate.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I like South Beach diet whipped almond chocolate bars. They are a tiny bit longer than a fun size candy bar, but thinner. 14g of carbs and 100 calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This. Don't snack! If you need to put food in your face every couple of hours but want more calories for meals, plan your day and incorporate low cal snacks you think might satisfy you
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat a hearty full size meal I am less inclined to go looking for snacks. Try eating delicious meals that fill you up. Sounds obvious, but it's taken me a while to shift the snack ritual.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I like the fat free sugar free cook and serve chocolate pudding. It is really chocolatety and tastes like an indulgence. About 70 calories per half cup when prepared with fat free milk.
  • MedeaKay
    MedeaKay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This. Don't snack! If you need to put food in your face every couple of hours but want more calories for meals, plan your day and incorporate low cal snacks you think might satisfy you

For many people, snacking 1 to 3 times a day is healthier than only eating three larger meals. Snacking helps to keep your metabolism up and regulate your blood sugar. It also keeps you from getting so hungry, that by mealtimes you want to overeat.
    I agree with what some of the other members are saying about making sure you have the right snacks, and that you plan them into your day. Always have healthy options available so that you don't fall into the habit of eating whatever is around.
    Another thought... why worry about the ratio? If you eat a healthy, balanced diet, does it really matter what time of day you are less or more?
  • jwseip
    jwseip Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I snack every night. However I dont eat past 8pm at night. So food has time to digest before bed. I would buy sweet and salty things and mix it up. If you like chocolate Id suggest mini candy bars. I also eat Pure protein , protein bars. They run 180-200 cals and 1/3 the fat an have 5 g of fat and 3 g of sugar with 16 carbs

Also when it comes to ice cream Id suggest sweet freedom by blue bunny its no sugar added

I wouldnt cut snacks out 100% or you will probably have a few binges that wont be healthy
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you like the habit of snacking,
    or it's easier for you to plan & eat 6 small meals instead of 3 larger ones,
    then plan your snacking so it fits your calorie goals.
    Make healthy choices.

For your example of chocolate,
    go for a serving of _good_ dark chocolate and savor it - pay attention to every nibble, how it tastes, how it feels...
    or find a low-cal substitution (fudgesicle, fat-free sugar-free pudding with skim milk, hot cocoa).
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    medeakay wrote:
    Snacking helps to keep your metabolism up and regulate your blood sugar.
    As far as the metabolism claim, not really. Exercise has much more of an effect.
    It does affect blood sugar (& fat), but not in a good way. Having insulin circulating more often than needed
    (which is just at meals) is detrimental.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/metabolism/art-20046508
    Energy needs for your body's basic functions stay fairly consistent and aren't easily changed.
    Your basal metabolic rate accounts for about 70 percent of the calories you burn every day.

In addition to your basal metabolic rate, two other factors determine how many calories your body
    burns each day:

Food processing (thermogenesis).
    Digesting, absorbing, transporting and storing the food you consume also takes calories. This accounts
    for 100 to 800 of the calories used each day. For the most part, your body's energy requirement to
    process food stays relatively steady and isn't easily changed.

Physical activity.
    Physical activity and exercise — such as playing tennis, walking to the store, chasing after the dog and
    any other movement — account for the rest of the calories your body burns up each day. Physical activity
    is by far the most variable of the factors that determine how many calories you burn each day.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24668862
    Includes a link to a free copy of the study / article.
    A hypercaloric diet with high meal frequency increased [triglycerides in the liver] and abdominal fat
    independent of caloric content and body weight gain, whereas increasing meal size did not. This study
    suggests that snacking, a common feature in the Western diet, independently contributes to [fat in the
    liver] and obesity.

But almonds appear to be a healthy snack.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24084509

jwseip wrote:
    However I dont eat past 8pm at night. So food has time to digest before bed.
    Food takes more than a couple hours to digest, even just to get out of the stomach.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/FAQ-20058340
    After you eat, it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small
    intestine.
    Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion, absorption of water and,
    finally, elimination of undigested food.

In the 1980s, Mayo Clinic researchers measured digestion time in 21 healthy people. Total transit time,
    from eating to elimination in stool, averaged 53 hours
    ... The average transit time through just the large
    intestine (colon) was 40 hours, with significant difference between men and women: 33 hours for men,
    47 hours for women.
    That's why when you're getting ready for a colonoscopy, you have a full day of liquid, then the nasty 'cleanse'.
    Gets rid of most of the solids naturally, so most of what comes out the night before & morning of is liquid.

But you're right that snacking at night is unhealthy.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23174861
    Includes link to free full text article / study.
    Nighttime snacking increased total and LDL cholesterol and reduced fat oxidation, suggesting that
    eating at night changes fat metabolism and increases the risk of obesity.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i snack really small
    i mostly just crave the flavor