Overnight Weight Gain?

Options
First off, I know I should not be weighing myself day and that my weight fluctuates. But I do. It keeps me accountable. I'm just trying to figure out how it is possible to wake up 3 lbs heavier one day from the next? I ate out last night, but was reasonable. This happened last week as well after having a cookie for desert. Woke up and had gained 1.5 lbs. Three days later I was back down. Is it just water weight? With all the ups and downs, I feel like I'm not getting anywhere in my weight loss, but rather bouncing around the same 3 lbs the last 2 weeks or so.

Replies

• Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    could be by the time you weighed that your food had not digested all the way and it was sitting in there. Could be some water weight
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    More than likely its water retention rather than weight gain.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Its the sodium in the food u ate at the restaurant. That happens to me after I go out.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The reason for once-a-week weighing is to establish a trend. Weighing yourself every day isn't holding you accountable, it's just making you obsess. Not every pound is significant: it's the trajectory over time.

There could be a million and a half reasons why your weight fluctuates. I won't list them all because it's all been said, and it's all easily found on google.
    It's possible that you've been maintaining. Rather than weighing yourself to confirm, observe the nutritional value of the food you're eating (i.e. sodium content, sugar content, vitamins, etc.) and see if there's something holding you back. Also observe your exercise and sleeping habits. My mother began going to bed an hour earlier and her waist shrank by an inch after two days (it has to do with the hormones cortisol and leptin). Meanwhile, I've been doing mostly cardio every day rather than weight lifting and my weight has slightly increased (meaning... I need to switch it up).
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Eating out is usually high sodium. Sodium makes you retain water, but drink extra water to flush out excess sodium and it should go back down in a day or two.
  • donmikulecky
    donmikulecky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Be aware of salt! high salt consumption (as in EVERY restaurant) can make you retain water. Water weighs about 7.5 lbs per gallon. therefor a quart of excess water about 1.75 lbs. Every time I eat out my weight increases for this reason. I use NO salt in my own cooking. This makes me even more sensitive.
  • heathermnrd
    Options
    the same thing happens to me every time i eat out...i just grown to expect it and know itll be gone in the next day or two.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It's probably a combination of water retention, food not being fully digested, and eating too close to bed time. I find it best to make sure I eat all my food by 7pm and in bed by 10-11pm. When I get up the next morning, I weigh myself AFTER I use the bathroom and before I eat.

Hope it helps.
  • M12e31g
    M12e31g Posts: 38
    Options
    I ate at about 7:30 and went to bed at 11, weighed myself 9am this morning. So I'm guessing it was fully digested.

It seems from everyone's confirmations it is water retention due to sodium. I just found how to track sodium on my food diary, so I'll start tracking that as well now and see if it helps.

Thanks everyone!
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I just checked your food/exercise diary, and for today it seems everything is good with the exception of being over by 330 cal with no exercise listed today.

Make sure you don't go over on your calories or sodium. Eating more protein is helpful. I am not sure about the science behind it, but eating more protein and less carbs helps burn fat and build muscle. Do NOT eat a ton of carbs before 5-6pm. Also, vary your workout routine. Do different exercises on different days, don't do the same thing everyday.

Pilates is great for toning and cardio. There are audio books outthere on iTunes that you can get and listen to to get in a good workout. It will also help strengthen your core (from under your bust to the top of your abs).