Too munch protein?

Options
I have been doing very well in all other categories but I always go over the protein guideline.....is this something that can stall weight loss or...does it not matter as long as I stay under or at my calorie goal?

Replies

• raelynn819
    Options
    not sure but I go over my protein eveyday also..I'm still losing
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    without knowing what training you are doing and your background I go over every day as I need it to fuel my body's recovery in training, and make sure my muscles have the strength for the next bout.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I think the protein levels are too low here. My doctor and nutritionist said to eat between 75-100 grams a day. You can change your settings if you think it is too low.
  • donmikulecky
    donmikulecky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not a clinician, only a Ph.D. physiologist. I kept on a high protein diet for years in my younger days. I now have peripheral neuropathy like many diabetics. It is of unknown origin. here's my theory: Diabetics get starved of sugar in their cells and metabolize fat and protein to stay alive. the consequences are many that I won't go into. my thesis is that a low carb high protein diet risks mimicing the state of a diabetic. for whatever that is worth.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    MFP only sets the protein goal at 15% which is pretty low. I have mine set at 40% and still go over a lot of days usually eating close to 150g or more per day. For me the more protein I eat the faster I lose weight. Protein is great for weight loss as well as muscle repair after a workout. Unless you have kidney problems it's pretty hard to get too much protein. A lot of people say it's good to eat a gram for every pound you weigh.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    *** Double Post***
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have been doing very well in all other categories but I always go over the protein guideline.....is this something that can stall weight loss or...does it not matter as long as I stay under or at my calorie goal?

Try and shoot for 1gram to 1.5grams of protein per pound of body weight and / or shoot for 35% to 40% of your calories to come from protein.
  • Poniesarepretty
    Poniesarepretty Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thank you all! I am a mom of 2, working out 3 times a week (45 min of cardio) I don't do any lifting because I carry around a 23lb 9 mo old Everywhere I go!