Does it matter what time you eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• brianazo
    brianazo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters but if to me if I eat last meal at 8pm I sometimes find myself lose weight but if I eat at 11pm most of the time I wake up and scale won't move.

Because some of the foods you eat are physically heavy. I've found that the more nutrient-dense and low calorie the food is, the more it physically weighs because there's a bunch of water in it. Drink a bottle of water and you just gained a pound without consuming one calorie.

For OP, meal timing is irrelevant unless you're an athlete / bodybuilder training at a competition level.
  • cassieknights951
    cassieknights951 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've not noticed timing make much difference however I never eat past 7pm
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Actually have found that its better for you to eat prior to 9 in the evening. We tend to be more sedentary in the evenings (TV anyone?} and if you eat and don't move, you blood sugar skyrockets. This is bad for you. I have found out the hard way. After a lifetime of not watching what I eat, and when I eat it, diabetes is knocking on my door. Right now I am handling it with diet and exercise. But now I never eat in the evenings. (And sometimes I really want to!)

For diabetics, and I'm assuming prediabetics, meal timing is crucial to blood sugar levels. But for others, it doesn't matter. I regularly eat dinner around 9:30/10 PM every Thursday night and it hasn't affected me one bit.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Actually have found that its better for you to eat prior to 9 in the evening. We tend to be more sedentary in the evenings (TV anyone?} and if you eat and don't move, you blood sugar skyrockets. This is bad for you. I have found out the hard way. After a lifetime of not watching what I eat, and when I eat it, diabetes is knocking on my door. Right now I am handling it with diet and exercise. But now I never eat in the evenings. (And sometimes I really want to!)

Blood sugar does not 'skyrocket' because you eat and don't move. Blood sugar 'skyrockets' when people have a metabolic disorder that means they can not control their blood sugars. People without a metabolic disorder do a fine job of controlling blood sugar levels no matter when they eat.

Diabetes is not knocking on your door because you ate after 9 in the evening.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • lunalovegood34
    lunalovegood34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Or should you stop eating at a certain time x

Look up intermittent fasting

That's definatly not for me. X
  • jewelgal77
    jewelgal77 Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Intermittent fasting will open your world up. Lost 6 inches in three weeks off my waist and ate whatever I wanted. If you are diabetic, then don't. There is no starvation mode...pure fiction.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    DawnReid04 wrote: »
    My Dr told me to eat 3 small meals and 2 light snacks and no eating within 2 hours of bedtime. I have yet to get it down to a schedule but once I do im sure it will help out alot.. I have 5 kids in the house so its a little chaotic around here lol.

I don't really think this is wives tales as much as most people mindless eat later in the evening. Like watching tv and next thing you know your through a bag of chips. But no eating at any time of the day the calories are the same.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after 8pm. But that's not because I believe in evil fairies that will stop me losing weight if I eat after then, I've just found from experience that I have trouble sleeping if I eat after then. YMMV. Some people don't have that issue.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Late evening/night eating can contribute to acid reflux. Late caffeine consumption can affect your sleep.

As far as weight loss it's total calories per day not timing of calories. If you eat more calories because you are bored or mindlessly watching TV and eating because you saw something in a commercial then, yeah, eating late while watching TV will affect your weight loss.
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It takes 24-72 hours to process food. If you eat three pounds of food directly before bed and then weigh yourself eight hours later, your body hasn't had the chance to burn off hardly any of what you took in. It has nothing to do with fat gain/loss -- just food waste.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have a registered dietitian that I consult with about my diet. She states that a calorie is a calorie and it doesn't matter what time of day or night that we eat them. Also while in Europe it was customary to have dinner very late at night. Sometimes I eat late at night and as long as I stay in my calorie allotment I still lose comfortably.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I read stop eating 3-4 hours before bed!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter. I intermittent fast and have my last snack somewhere between 10-11 pm. I regularly lose weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I read stop eating 3-4 hours before bed!

I've read a lot of stupid and untrue things that aren't supported by science.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    As a night shift worker, 80% of my calories are consumed between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. 4-5 days a week. I have been able to lose 60+ pounds.