Weight Lifting *** DONT LIKE IT (ADVISE)

Options
I know I need to weight lift. I just dont like it. I can do cardio all day long, and I love running. I just need to add regular weight lifting to my routine, and need some advise.

I have a COMPLETE home gym with two Olypmic weight sets (thanks to my husband) but I dont like going in the weight room and doing weights.

Are DVD's ok to be considered my "weight training" Like 30DS ? or do I need to do hard core get in the weight room and lift real weights? :cry:

BHAHAHAHA!!! Just want to know your thoughts on this! Thanks!!!!

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get someone to do them with you--like your husband for instance? Weight bearing exercise does make a difference, believe me.
  • AmyBlu12
    AmyBlu12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like to do videos because someone is telling me what to do. Otherwise, I am in the same boat as you ... I find it boring! 30DS is awesome. I'm on day 15 and I already see results. Before 30DS I used to go to the gym and do just cardio and I too can do it all day long. Now that I can see definition in my arms and legs I like to do the machines at the gym too. I definitely recommend the 30DS!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I used JM's No More Trouble Zones as my strength training. I toned up all over, especially my flabby arms.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Heres my advice: Pack up that home gym, address it to me...

OR, see if a gym nearby has a class called "muscle fusion", or there may be muscle fusion DVDs out there somewhere. Its an excellent strength training class that incorporates weights and has cardio breaks.

Good luck!
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating the lifts in with your cardio. I do ten min. on the elliptical, then jump off and do 30 sec. of tricep dips, 30 sec. of bicep curls-one minute on elliptical pretty fast pace to keep heart rate going, then two 30 seconds of different lifts. I do five sets of lifting (30 sec. each) with a minute on the elliptical or treadmill. Then repeat so you get two sets of each lift. Just try to get the whole body-planks and wall sits included. It takes a little over and hour. If I am pressed for time I cut the one minute on treadmill or elliptical to 30 sec. but keep the 10 at each end to get good cardio. Play around and see what works-you will love the new arms, legs and core you start to see:)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I know I need to weight lift. I just dont like it. I can do cardio all day long, and I love running. I just need to add regular weight lifting to my routine, and need some advise.

I have a COMPLETE home gym with two Olypmic weight sets (thanks to my husband) but I dont like going in the weight room and doing weights.

Are DVD's ok to be considered my "weight training" Like 30DS ? or do I need to do hard core get in the weight room and lift real weights? :cry:

BHAHAHAHA!!! Just want to know your thoughts on this! Thanks!!!!

Do you not like it because you just don't like lifting weights or because you're not really sure what you should be doing? I know for me a lack of direction, on anything, can make a task seem daunting and demotivating.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Since you have a home gym, see if you can get a trainer to come into your house for a session or two. That way they can teach you the correct form and give you some routines to do.
  • Caroline9252
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. I more or less know what to do, but when I go in there I look at everything and it feels like uggg really do I have to do this?

I have a hard time pushing myself when it comes to weight lifting. I will do in there do a few moves and think to myself "ok thats good" and I leave feeling like I did not get anything done.

Its mental for sure.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. I more or less know what to do, but when I go in there I look at everything and it feels like uggg really do I have to do this?

I have a hard time pushing myself when it comes to weight lifting. I will do in there do a few moves and think to myself "ok thats good" and I leave feeling like I did not get anything done.

Its mental for sure.

Maybe make yourself a schedule? I have a folder with examples of upper body and lower body lifting routines, 6 different muscle groups each. I do lower body twice a week and upper body twice a week. If I quit before I do all six I feel like I'm cheating.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Why not try Shred It with Weights DVD or P90X - most of the P90X workouts can be found online. A lot of people rave about New Rules of Lifting for Women book also....
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    First let me ask about your goals.... what do you want to look like? If you want to have lean muscle... yeah... weights are the way to go. Do you think you're lack of motivation has to do with working out at home? I, personally, could never find the motivation to work out at home. I'm a gym rat. I love the variety of different equipment available at the gym. I know this might sound vain but I even like to watch myself in the mirror there... to make sure I'm keeping proper form and to see my progress over time. I also like the social aspect of working out in a health club. I have my "gym friends" I see regularly. When I'm not there they ask where I've been. We also comment on each other's progress. I like that. It's motivating! I actually LOVE to lift and because my goal has always been to have an athletic figure... it is a must.

So... my suggestion is to either join a gym or enlist a workout buddy (a friend? your husband?) to come and endure it with you. Put up some mirrors in there so you can SEE yourself lifting. If you stick with it long enough to see progress (muscle definition) then you might just find yourself hooked! :) If you lived near me I'd come by and light a fire under ya.... LOL
  • stephanielynn76
    Options
    Also... you could ditch the traditional weight rountines in favor of doing crossfit routines or moves that combine cardio with strength training.... that's really popular and effective as well...
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    If you lived near me I'd come by and light a fire under ya.... LOL

I wish you lived near me... :laugh: although I'm pretty sure I'd DIE after 2 minutes trying to keep up with ya!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Check out the lifting program in my signature, it's 3 lifts per workout and you do 3 workouts a week. Starting out, it takes about 20 minutes and after about 3 months it takes me 45 minutes due to the extra rest required between each set.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Dude, if Jillian makes it fun for you, HELL YEAH it counts! Also try her No More Trouble Zones video. It's an hour long and it's a BEATING but it will work the muscles in the areas that every woman worries about.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Anything that involves something other than your body weight...is weight training. I've done P90X...and yea...it's work....its kind of boring.

I just picked up the Insanity Deluxe dvd's...and really like the upper body weight training. Great combo of cardio and basic moves for the upper body (since the rest of Insanity really works your legs and glutes), and it keeps my interest while not feeling like manual labor. You don't need to add tons of weight if you are looking to tone up vs. bulk up.
  • stephanielynn76
    Options
    If you lived near me I'd come by and light a fire under ya.... LOL

I wish you lived near me... :laugh: although I'm pretty sure I'd DIE after 2 minutes trying to keep up with ya!

Oh puh-lease... girl I know you'd bring it!!! You might kill ME for all I know :wink: It sure would be fun to bring our MFP friends with us to the gym huh... talk about givin' it my all so I won't look like a wuss... LOL :laugh: