Keto Lifestyle

Options

Replies

• workathomemama
    workathomemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 5'7 and 230lbs. Two years ago I was on the 21 Day fix. I lost 30 lbs, then I gave up and gained 15 lbs back. I started on the keto diet 2 weeks ago. Lost 5 water lbs and feel a lot better.

I'd love support, but I'm really bad at checking forums. I'll make a huge effort to come here and post! I'm a part of small closed FB group . We're all about support. There's no advertising, no judging, no "my diet is better than yours". We're just a bunch of women who are on different plans looking for a way to sustainably lose over 70lbs. Sorry if this sounds like a pitch. It's not meant to be.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    wesheets wrote: »
    I did try to join the closed group posted above but never received a response. I'm sure it's a lag

I think you are right...it probably is a lag. Better yet, send @baconslave a direct message and let her know that you sent a request to join but haven't heard anything back yet. She's one of the low carber group moderators.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Do come over the the low carb group. There are thousands of members, lots of information and great support.
  • reaperteddy
    reaperteddy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, Keto since dec 2014, down about 87lbs. Just restarted after a six month mental health break, ready to get down to my ultimate goal weight and to get stronger on the way. Please feel free to friend me, I'm also launching an illustrated keto recipe blog next week to help out beginners!
  • workathomemama
    Options
    Hi guys, Keto since dec 2014, down about 87lbs. Just restarted after a six month mental health break, ready to get down to my ultimate goal weight and to get stronger on the way. Please feel free to friend me, I'm also launching an illustrated keto recipe blog next week to help out beginners!

I'd love to see your recipe blog!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I did try to join the closed group posted above but never received a response. I'm sure it's a lag

I think you are right...it probably is a lag. Better yet, send @baconslave a direct message and let her know that you sent a request to join but haven't heard anything back yet. She's one of the low carber group moderators.

All the current join requests have been approved. There's only 3 group mods, and we are all in the U.S. so if it's sleepytime there, chances are the join won't be approved right away. We have to manually click "accept" for each one, so if all of us are working or have family bugging us, it might take a few for it to be approved. If you still aren't approved after 12-15hrs, check with me and I'll send an invite to your username.
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @baconslave can you please tell me how to highlight or star the group so I "see" it when I log into community? Much appreciated
  • baconslave
    Options
    @baconslave can you please tell me how to highlight or star the group so I "see" it when I log into community? Much appreciated
    How are you using MFP? App or website?
  • 2012newbie
    2012newbie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if having PCOS is my problem or what. I did try to join the closed group posted above but never received a response. I'm sure it's a lag but I'll just post my concern here. Pipe in if you have ideas.

Hold on to you seats, it's not a pretty picture. So, I began Keto on the first January Monday-like January 6. At first I lost 6 lbs and that saying something since I was having Hershey kisses at night and yes I logged them! Then, I knew that had to stop and a positive side affect of this diet is the cravings subside which are pretty intense for PCOS chicks. So quitting the kisses was a good thing. I added more water as well and am driving a good 72 oz with more when I can plus two cups of coffee per day. Now, after week 2 I really buckled down. I had used a TDEE calculator to determine my ratio. When I started it said 2100 for my starting weight (5'7" and 221) and so I rejiggered and instead of the conservative deficit of 15% which allotted me 1800 calories I took it all the way down to 35% and my new calories is 1309. I adjusted my rations which I'm still struggling with some. I DO strive for under 40 NET carbs each day and that has been a positive. Remember, my barbs were like 70 when I was losing. Now that I'm down this far I'm freaking gaining weight. My lowest weight two Sunday's ago was 212. I was stoked! Next day? Woke up to 214. Next day 215.....and stayed there for a week. Then up to 216, back down to 215....and this morning 217. I must say I want to cry. Others who have started when I did are down 20 lbs. yes I was eating one thing out of turn for a few days and losing but now I'm here. What gives!? I want to quit. I haven't but want to. It's not fair. This is supposed to work. Please help.
    I'm not sure if having PCOS is my problem or what. I did try to join the closed group posted above but never received a response. I'm sure it's a lag but I'll just post my concern here. Pipe in if you have ideas.

Hold on to you seats, it's not a pretty picture. So, I began Keto on the first January Monday-like January 6. At first I lost 6 lbs and that saying something since I was having Hershey kisses at night and yes I logged them! Then, I knew that had to stop and a positive side affect of this diet is the cravings subside which are pretty intense for PCOS chicks. So quitting the kisses was a good thing. I added more water as well and am driving a good 72 oz with more when I can plus two cups of coffee per day. Now, after week 2 I really buckled down. I had used a TDEE calculator to determine my ratio. When I started it said 2100 for my starting weight (5'7" and 221) and so I rejiggered and instead of the conservative deficit of 15% which allotted me 1800 calories I took it all the way down to 35% and my new calories is 1309. I adjusted my rations which I'm still struggling with some. I DO strive for under 40 NET carbs each day and that has been a positive. Remember, my barbs were like 70 when I was losing. Now that I'm down this far I'm freaking gaining weight. My lowest weight two Sunday's ago was 212. I was stoked! Next day? Woke up to 214. Next day 215.....and stayed there for a week. Then up to 216, back down to 215....and this morning 217. I must say I want to cry. Others who have started when I did are down 20 lbs. yes I was eating one thing out of turn for a few days and losing but now I'm here. What gives!? I want to quit. I haven't but want to. It's not fair. This is supposed to work. Please help.

if you've dropped your calories to 1309, then I believe if you are still allowing yourself 40 net carbs a day, your macros are off, you need to drop the carbs and make sure your fats are higher than your protein intake. I found after losing quite a bit, I had to start looking at my calories, also, and now I'm working on getting my macros into line, too. I stay under 20 net carbs, and that seems to work best for me now. If I go much over that, I start to edge up. Hope this helps.
  • Oh_Cat
    Oh_Cat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Started keto (and intermittent fasting) at the start of Jan and am currently down 17lbs :smile:

I have 33lbs still to shift and would love some fellow keto pals - feel free to add me!

• wesheets
    Options
    @baconslave I am on my computer now, but I typically access the MFP app. Are there two different methods? Can I do both from each device for convenience? Thank you for the response!
  • wesheets
    Options
    @2012 newbie. Well, I definitely try to balance my net carbs. Problem I have found in the past that, for me, and again this could be due to PCOS, if I go too LOW...I stall or gain. I know, it's weird. Like yesterday I sat at 5% gross carbs. Still, I lost a pound (this is good, I admit). Now, the proof will be tomorrow morning. If I've gained then I may need to up my carbs. Now, upping my fats is another conundrum. When I purposed to have a "fat bomb" to help up the percentage...I gained. Guh....

Simply, my body gains weight. Period. LOL....I'm convinced.

Seriously, though, I do think that I need to continue to work my macros. I think that 1300 is a bit too low, while clearly 15% deficit at 1800 is a bit too high. I may work with 1500 this coming week and see how that is...bottom line, if I don't gain, then yay. If I lose, then yay.

Honestly? I'm really struggling with the exact macros that work well with MY body. I either have issue hitting my macros precisely, or my calories....I mean, I will keep working on it....that and balance more food options so I am not bored with them :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep you posted...
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    @wesheets try this calculator http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ if you haven't already ...wishing you the best
  • Zdehni
    Zdehni Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi Keto supporters!

If you are a daily diary feeder, Please add me :)
    It would be great help to view daily diaries of friends who follow a Ketogenic diet.

Thanks so much
  • baconslave
    Options
    @baconslave I am on my computer now, but I typically access the MFP app. Are there two different methods? Can I do both from each device for convenience? Thank you for the response!

Sorry it took so long.

For the app:
    Tap the menu button. You'll have to scroll a little. Tap Community.
    On the next screen will be a list of Main Forums. Scroll down and you will see My Groups. The Low Carber group will be there to tap. Alternately, you can access it through one of the pics in the nav bar at the top. Tap the little message box (furthest to the left). It will list Forums, Recent, My Discussions, and Groups. Tap Groups and it will directly take you to your group list.

For the site:
    Similar concept. Click Community. It will take you to a list of the Main Forum names. Scroll down further and you will find the Group list. You could also just skip straight to the group list by clicking Groups on the nav menu at the top of the page.

I wish there were easier ways to get there. But that's the site/app functionality.

Now, if you star threads you are interested in following in your groups, then the site/app will keep track of them by bookmarking them for you just like in the Main Forums. The bell in the app nav bar (app), and the bell on the upper right on the site, will display when you have notifications from the Main Forums or Groups.

I switch back and forth all day between the site and app, and it keeps up.
  • alabamaworley93
    alabamaworley93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I officially started following a ketogenic plan on Jan 19th. Anyone else that is doing keto please feel free to add me. Also, I belong to a wonderful keto facebook group that is very supportive and offers a lot of help and inspiration.
  • tinat30
    tinat30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd week of Keto. I was on Whole30 previously and had some success. I am struggling with Keto, but I'm trying to give it 100%. I'd love to get some advice, support etc.
  • workathomemama
    Options
    @alabamaworley89 which group? I looked for one on FB but didn't know which was good. There's a zero carb one there. Not good. The low carb group here is super helpful.

@tinat30 did you see the link on the first page ? I may joined them and they've already helped me a bit :)
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    1 month on keto today and down 13 pounds. Super happy! Always happy to add new friends.
  • LewLooo
    LewLooo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started again last week. I want to lose around 60. Would love to swap recipes, motivation, and support. :)