Low Calories toward end of day

Options
Im supposed to only eat 1300 calories a day. my breakfast is always fruit (regular or blended into smoothie) 7 days a week. MFP says im getting too much sugar from fruit. and also, Im never sure what to eat to stay within calorie goals at dinnertime.

Replies

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit, sugar be damned. Ate there any health reasons why you should be cutting sugar?
    Have you tried pre-logging for the whole day? I do better when I log all the food for the next day but I usually leave ca 200kcal für an evening snack.
  • potadre
    potadre Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's added sugar that's problematic, you don't need to worry about natural sugars from fruits and vegetables (unless you have a medical condition like diabetes). That's of course if you're eating the fruit whole and unprocessed rather than in a processed food with added fructose or fruit derived sweeteners, those aren't necessarily very good for you and will count as added sugar. Government guidelines generally suggest that women limit "added sugar" to less than 25grams per day.

I've done a 1200 calorie a day intake before and I found that I really needed to bulk meals up with lots of vegetables and protein to feel full enough. If you go for lower calorie vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, green beans, cauliflower, etc. it adds a lot of fibre (and also important nutrients) that will leave you feeling more satisfied. Cottage cheese is also a great substitute for sauce, it's high in protein but lower in calories and you can eat it with various foods to make them less dry, basically.
  • potadre
    Options
    What else are you putting into your fruit smoothie for breakfast? Fruit is great but if you're not pairing it with protein of some kind, it's probably causing a spike and then a dip in your blood sugar levels which may leave you feeling pretty hungry again a little while after you consume it.
  • bmurdaaaa
    bmurdaaaa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    today I put 2 cups of blueberries and a banana in the blender with a splash of water. i dont eat anything out of a can or in sugary syrup. everything is fresh and raw.
  • bmurdaaaa
    bmurdaaaa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thats a good idea. I will start prelogging and editig any changes. and no there are no conditions. this is only day 2 of using MFP and I was just trying to follow the rules lol.
    MikaMojito wrote: »
    I eat a lot of fruit, sugar be damned. Ate there any health reasons why you should be cutting sugar?
    Have you tried pre-logging for the whole day? I do better when I log all the food for the next day but I usually leave ca 200kcal für an evening snack.

• potadre
    Options
    I also find that pre-logging works really well for me, I end up spending a lot less time trying to figure out what to eat, which I'll otherwise often end up doing when I start to feel hungry at which point options may be limited or I may be more prone to make poor impulse decisions. It also helps me cut down on food waste and in figuring out how to get more of what I need and less of what I don't (e.g. if I don't pay close attention I seem to trend towards too much sugar/carbs and not enough protein).

You might want to try adding a little bit of protein in with the blueberries and bananas - hemp hearts, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, nuts, etc. Or lower calorie options might be plain greek yogurt or silken tofu. Worth a try in my experience :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    pre-log your days.

I'm not particularly concerned with the sugars from eating fruit as I don't eat much in the way of added sugars and whatnot...but I also keep my fruit to about 2-3 servings per day and eat a lot more veggies than fruit.

Fruit can have a lot of nutrition, but it can also be relatively calorie dense considering the sugar that is in it. Veggies tend to have a lot more micro nutrition at a fraction of the calorie cost.

Smoothies can be an easy and quick way of getting in your fruit, but they can also be calorie bombs and most people tend to use more fruit than they would if they were just eating a piece of fruit...I make one for post long ride recovery and it clocks in around 800 calories.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Planning your meals will definetely help you.
    If you need ideas, I have some yummy recipes here on mfp blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GsKiki that are all around 300 kcal.