what did you do to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm doing walking, interval running, spin class, and yoga. I just re-introduced weight training yesterday (and I LOVE IT!).

Cardio helps the pounds come off, but I've found over 15 years of THE STRUGGLE, nothing changes my body like strength training. It doesn't burn the calories that cardio does, but if you stick to a solid 4-6 week program of weight training 3x a week AND moderate to intense cardio 3x a week, you'll be AMAZED at the changes in your body. The scale might not move much, but your pants may fit more loosely, you don't get the weird boob-gap on button-up shirts, your calves get solid as a rock and you want to show them off all the time, your waistline gets more defined, the booty gets lifted, and you just feel incredible.

I'm so excited to be at a place in my diet where I can hit the weights again because I know that the best changes are coming in the next month or so.

All of this must be coupled with a balanced diet, though (duh)!

Good luck on your journey!
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I go to some of the classes at the gym, mostly circuit/strength classes. I lift free weights, but I am getting this set up to start StrongLifts 5x5, I do a little cardio each time I go to the gym, usually rotate between inclined treadmill walking, running, row machine and elliptical. I like all of those things, that's why I do them all. hah, you just just find what you like that do that.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I started with walking which turned into running.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I eat less and move more.. I'm a real couch potato though, so other than my exercise, I don't burn lots of calories. I started with light cardio like Leslie Sansone's videos, it doesn't work well for me though because of a neurological issue so I tried pilates and that was ok. Burns less calories though. Now I've been lifting heavy the last 2-3 months and I'm hooked! Only 3 times a week, about 30-40 minutes each session.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i like walking, a quick run, dancing, yoga, and i do those videos, like 30ds, t25
  • OheyitsJessie
    OheyitsJessie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I walked on the treadmill at first, then got progressively faster at it (around 4.6-5mph) for at least 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. So far only that & following MFPs nutritional guidelines has helped me lost 60lbs since July.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Extreme Diet + walking - lost 35 lbs in 3 months for my wedding (while grieving) ughhh
    See below for helpful info. on food serving, balance, types of optimal choices, etc..

ezve8a71idy6.pngu1dy7rf5dc8p.png
    p4c6m9lulyov.png

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Firstly, calorie deficit, but not too big. Weights, bike ride, hike, swim. Find an exercise you like and do it. I hate running and jogging, so I don't do those.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the food i like. in moderation.. and calorie deficits..
    and do any exercises or activities that i really like and have fun doing it.. either dancing, kickboxing and even just walking at the park..
    Have fun every step of the way.. it doesn't have to be boring.. find something you like to do and stick with it.. :)
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit and I run for exercise. Try c25k and when you succeed at it and I KNOW you will. Then you can do c210k which I have started with recently. I love all the advice you are getting btw! :)
  • 8christi8
    8christi8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Started counting calories, drastically reducing but not starving myself. Cut out all junk foods. Have lost 50 lbs in 4 months thus far. Currently at 160. Still 40 lbs to go to get to 120 lbs. Exercise, haven't done any as of yet but I will start once I stop losing or when I lose all the fat and start toning and defining my body :)
  • cherrie_mcburney
    Options
    Be active - eat mostly veggies, a little fruit, a little meat! (:
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I ate at a deficit & lifted heavy. Cardio HIIT once a week.
  • leef72
    leef72 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This app is fantastic! I always need something to motivate me.. to lose over a stone in a month for me is great. Dont get me wrong, most people say why do i want to lose weight.. but I want to get myself to a place where I am happy with my physique. I simply kept the calories at 1500 or there abouts.. eating better and healthier has done me the world of good. Basically a smoothie for breaky, salad for lunch.. quite alot of nibbles and a great but healthy evening meal. I have cut lots of bread out of my diet, but I do have to be honest... almost no excersise other than my usual day to day activities.

People around me are asking how I am going this, and yes... all are downloading the app as well
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    hiking, Zumba, walking (outside and treadmill), chopping/splitting/stacking firewood, gardening, yard work, resistance bands, calisthenics, Brazil Butt Lift, step aerobics, playing with grandkids, farm work

I get bored with 'exercise' easily.
  • juicynsweet
    juicynsweet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Extreme Diet + walking - lost 35 lbs in 3 months for my wedding (while grieving) ughhh
    See below for helpful info. on food serving, balance, types of optimal choices, etc..

ezve8a71idy6.pngu1dy7rf5dc8p.png
    p4c6m9lulyov.png

I would love to print this off. Where did you get it from?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    delsey2007 wrote: »
    Just wondering what everyone has done to lose weight?
    Exercise, I mean.

I eat at deficit. But in order to accomplish that, I exercise everyday to earn back enough calories to keep me satisfied.

Some days that Includes running, but every day I make sure to incorporate a lot of walking throughout the day.

Exactly this. I started with walking around the block, and just increased my steps daily.

Now I average around 18,000 steps a day, some days some of which is running.

I get to eat whatever I feel like, pretty much. It's rare I have to rein in my portions to stay at a deficit.

I've lost 30 kg since April.
  • seiffertrk
    seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    delsey2007 wrote: »
    I'm very out of shape so I do what I can without physically exhausting myself too much. I started with walking at 3mph for 20-30 minutes and if I feel I can do more I get on the bike or elliptical. The weights I started with are only 8 lbs but my arms are very weak. I wonder how long until I see real progress. My diet isn't GREAT but it's under my goal and I've since given up soda and cut eat back on carbs. Heck, cutting pop alone cut a great deal of carbs and calories (I was drinking nearly give cans a day or more). I drink tea, green and lemon, both sugar free and water at the gym. I'm down a belt notch (actually could say two if I wanted) and about 3 lbs in a week.

A month has gone by since your original post. How are your results now?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!