Binge eating... SOOO P*ssed Off!

Options
It is just like a freaking revolving door with me... I lose a few pounds, then when I weigh myself I see that I gained a pound or two, maybe even three. I get so fed up I go on a binge; and this ain't no small binge either. Not only do I feel sick afterwards, but I am so totally disappointed with myself. The only time I ever eat like this is when I am stressed. I have always been a stress eater. I freaking hate it. Now I feel like I have undone what little progress I have made and its back to square one. I am lost. I just do not know what to do anymore. Some days my eating is on point and others its so, so. Then I have days like today and I just say screw it all. Anyone else ever have/had this problem? What do you do to cope?

Replies

• ImaZaphod
    ImaZaphod Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh yes. I consumed so much food in the past few days that I got to the point of binging and realized that I had consumed over 5lbs in food (since I weighed myself before and after). It's ridiculous. These next few days I'm going to update myfitnesspal everyday to stay on track. Feel free to view mine or make similar plans. We can beat these binges. :D
  • crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am with you all the way. I eat so much on my binges that I feel sick as well. I still do it, but now I try to convince myself to go for a walk or something to cool down first. Then if I still feel like binging, then I do, But I guess over the last couple of months I have weaned myself off of the binges. I guess the only advice I can give you is to take a step back, and realize that mistakes will happen (talking about the gains) and that the only thing you can do is learn from your mistakes and move on. Don't beat yourself up.
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post...I feel like that all the time. I can't allow myself to have even one "cheat" thing or it will turn into a binge. The only advice I have is to forgive yourself and start fresh again tomorrow.
  • forgetregret
    forgetregret Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Story of my life really, it's a really hard habit to break, but you're here asking for help so that's what matters. All I can think of is getting support from people around you and maybe this forum, I'm struggling with the same exact thing, my last million calorie binge was 2 days ago so I really do feel for you.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been binge eating a lot this last week as well. I'll eat awesome during the day, and then eat whatever I can get my hands on, and go to bed feeling like I wish I could vomit. I'm going to try brushing my teeth and getting into 'bed' mode earlier, and see if that helps in future.
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My therapist gave me this information... If this fits you, you might want to get some help for you binge eating. I know how you feel and I am in therapy for this very thing. Good Luck.

Binge Eating Disorder

Binge eating disorder, the most common eating disorder in the United States, affects approximately 2% of adults, with 1 million to 2 million Americans suffering from this disease. Although most of these people are overweight and obese, many sufferers are of normal weight. Binge eating disorder is defined as eating an unusually large amount of food with a feeling of loss of control. This also may include:
    ▪ Eating more quickly than usual or eating with urgency
    ▪ Eating until uncomfortably full
    ▪ Eating without the presence of hunger
    ▪ Eating alone because of shame and embarrassment
    ▪ Feeling disgusted, depressed, or guilty after overeating

While research is still in its infancy, those who suffer from this eating disorder also commonly are coping with depression, have a history of dieting to lose weight, and are struggling with poor coping mechanisms. It is not know at this time whether or not a biological component fosters binge eating disorder. However, it is strongly believed that this eating disorder has a psychological basis.

The act of bingeing often is damaging. Sufferers report a feeling of loss of control, resulting in secondary psychological health-related problems, including:
    ▪ Depression
    ▪ Stress
    ▪ Insomnia
    ▪ Suicidal thoughts

The behavior is not associated with compensatory behavior, such as purging for those struggling with bulimia nervosa. People with binge eating disorder are often overweight and obese. Secondary health-related problems associated with this overweight and obesity include:
    ▪ Type 2 diabetes
    ▪ High blood pressure
    ▪ High cholesterol
    ▪ Gallbladder disease
    ▪ Cancer
    ▪ Heart disease.

Interventions
    Most of the interventions to treat binge eating disorder focus on the psychological aspect of the disease. These include:
    ▪ Cognitive behavioral therapy—coping mechanisms and how to deal with body image issues
    ▪ Interpersonal psychotherapy—focusing on relationships with those in the patient’s life
    ▪ Drug therapy—some individuals benefit from the use of antidepressants
    ▪ Self-help and support groups—check for availability

The role of the registered dietitian is similar to the role played with most eating disorders—nutrition intervention and the teaching of healthful dietary habits must wait until the patient is stable psychologically. It often is helpful to look at food as the symptom, but before tackling the symptoms, it is necessary to get the disease under control. Intervening with dietary modification before the patient is ready may only add to the feelings of failure or inability to control food. Working as a team with at least 1 mental health professional is necessary to ensure nutritional success. The registered dietitian can play an important role in inpatient situations by providing and modeling healthful meals and snacks.

Reference
    US Dept of Health and Human Services. Binge eating disorder. Available at: www.4woman.gov/FAQ/bingeeating.htm. Accessed March 19, 2008.

Review Date 4/08
    G-0602
  • donmikulecky
    donmikulecky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the problem goes beyond "appetite". my present weight loss campaign is soley due to having a year of ugly stress. i let myself go completely. Food was the only comfort. Now I know what it cost me. Some active form of stress management would have been so much better. I bet if you google "stress eating" you will find lots of good info. Do it now and get on the right path. We are here for you. let me know what you find.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It may be you need to sit down and figure out your triggers and see if you can avoid them or come to peace with them. I find if I get angry I want to eat but in the long run it's not going to effect the situation I'm angry with it's only going to hurt me. Next time you feel a binge coming on drink 2 cups of water and think before you start eating. Lots of times if you slow down and think through whats causing the binging you can stop the habit! Also, are you eating small meals through out the day? I find I want to binge if I don't eat often enough. Good luck though, my thoughts are with you :)
  • Caroline9252
    Options
    YES!!! I used to do this ALL the time. Emotional eating is a hard thing to overcome - and I am sure what works for some people may not work for others, but I will share what worked for me.

I was a big stress eater, and with my job I am stressed all the time - therefore I was eating all the time.

I stated to shift my **stress** eating with **stress** excercise... I would come home from work all stressed out and I would go running.

If I felt like I wanted to "binge" I would go for a walk - even if it was a walk just around the office.

Running became my **addiction**

Better the running than the food. - today if I "binge" eat (and yes every great once and a while I do) I just make sure I workout to make up for the calories I ate.

Stay strong - you will find what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    Please forgive yourself, like you would a friend who made a mistake. Then decide that that was the last binge. Log food before you eat it to see if it's "worth" eating. You can do this!
  • jlm1182
    jlm1182 Posts: 19
    Options
    Maybe avoid going by number weight and instead measure loss by how the jeans fit. I would just concentrate more on what I eat and portions and try to move every chance I get and shun the scale for a while. Scales can be misleading. Water weight, period bloat, muscle gained, etc. Deep breath in, relax and get back on the wagon.
  • travishein
    travishein Posts: 78
    Options
    yea, for sure, i used to be a stress eater. so would go completely off the wagon a lot. stressful kids, job. etc. so my two things that have helped me:

it is what it is attitude. log everything. sure, it sais 4,500 calories for a day. Yup. because hiding or pretending it didnt happen only seems to help justify it or allow me to cheat. being honest and acknowledging. "sure, i had a bad day" but logging it to see it I find is helpful. No shame, no feeling bad, just record it. eventually I got tired of seeing all the stuff i was eating and worked to remove some of the things from my routine. which leads to suggestion two:

stock up and immerse yourself with binge friendly things. for example fresh apples, oranges, avacado. mushrooms. carots. cherries. grapes. peaches. this week my latest discovery is asparagus. What i do with the fruits is pre wash (apples, pre-peel) and place in a baggie, or container. so that i can place them into my office fridge too. i think its a dr phil sounding thing to say, but when i have a bag of oreo cookies, plus one bad day, well. i then have an empty bag of oreos. usually out of milk too. so that is to try to not have the bad things to binge on, you can't go off the wagon as bad. Like, I dare you to eat all the asparagus stalks as you can. The worst you can do is still the order of a few hundred calories, not seveal thousand. AND, you get wickedly regular :)

my recent discovery is i am trying to convert my thinking from "stress eating" to "stress activity". im trying to pretend to be a runner lately, so i am using the things that really bug me and grind my gears into energy or fuel to let me run harder and longer. after half an hour i feel no more hate and can't remember why i got emotional about in the first place. also. activity seems to really help curb my apetite. so i wonder if you could find some activity you enjoy doing and try to fit it in as a stress burning thing too.

hope some of these are helpful.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am not a binge eater by I have the biggest sweet tooth of anyone I know. I have had days of eating nothing but cake, ice cream, candy and so on. I found that when my sweet tooth gets bad and I dont have any 100 calorie snacks I go for a walk with my MP3 player and just walk until I am not thinking about it anymore. If after I still want something sweet I try to stick with fruit.

I wish you luck on kicking this habit. I know how you feel and I know it is hard. :wink:
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    STOP weighing yourself!! Use a measuring tape and not a scale. People weight can fluctuate for no reason!!
  • realm69
    realm69 Posts: 23
    Options
    Like a lot of other people said, I feel like I could have written this post myself. I am doing WW and I gained .4 lbs last week, which really made me mad because I was expecting to lose of course. When my WW Leader saw that I was disappointed she asked if I knew what caused the gain and thinking back I realized that I did stay on plan, but only for about half of the week. The other half of the week I just went crazy, slept in, didn't exercise, ate crazy etc. I know it is really frustrating, but try to remember just because you fall off the wagon so to speak does not mean that you can't get back on track the next day, week, etc. I am doing the same thing this week, I haven't exercised all week but I started fresh today and that is all we can do. I have also found that if I go for a walk as soon as I get home and then eat I am a lot less likely to "binge" I get full faster and then I go straight to bed which prevents the midnight munchies. Good Luck, I know you can do it!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Boy can I relate.when I go on the scale and don`t se what I want,I go home and have a food fest.Makes sense/NOT.
    I`m trying to do better and accept what the scale says.
    Know you`re not alone.
    take care
    jane
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did that in the past... so far since I've been very active on here since May 31st I haven't gained...but right now I'm having my TOM and I have a weigh in on monday (for a challenge) I'm hoping I don't gain..because it'll bug me..

But get back to it.. you can do it!!
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I know that in the morning I will have what I call a "food hangover" I feel like total crap already. I know how I will feel after the binge, but yet I do it anyway. The kicker... I NEVER EVER keep this kind of food in the house. I had to actually get in my car and drive to the store to buy it. With the temps being over 100 degrees you would think I would avoid going outside at all cost... Nope. Had to have me some krispy kreme doughnuts and potato chips. I never crave doughnuts or chips, so why I binged on these items I have no idea.

I don't remember who said it, but I eat super healthy all day long and then I'll binge. Its only at night too. If I could go to a gym I totally would. But I am about to move out of state and I can't see paying the fees and signing a contract when I will be leaving the state in a few months.

This is something that I need to take control of. I do not want it to ruin my life.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You just wrote my life story! I am a stress eater as well and once I start I don't stop for days and it is ALWAYS carbs/sweets! I can put on 10 lbs in a weekend. I am facing a job loss due to cut backs and it has me in OVERLOAD! I appreciate all the ideas here to help with some of the binging. I have to realize what is going to happen and going to happen and me eating myself PAST sick will not make it any better. I hope things get better for you!
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I used to do this ALL the time. Emotional eating is a hard thing to overcome - and I am sure what works for some people may not work for others, but I will share what worked for me.

I was a big stress eater, and with my job I am stressed all the time - therefore I was eating all the time.

I stated to shift my **stress** eating with **stress** excercise... I would come home from work all stressed out and I would go running.

If I felt like I wanted to "binge" I would go for a walk - even if it was a walk just around the office.

Running became my **addiction**

Better the running than the food. - today if I "binge" eat (and yes every great once and a while I do) I just make sure I workout to make up for the calories I ate.

Stay strong - you will find what works for you. :flowerforyou:

If I could get rid of the one thing that stresses me (my job) I would in a heartbeat! A stress walk would be better. Maybe I could invest in an asp and pepper spray to make myself feel safe. ;)