Crock Pot Kalua Pig

Options
jbond80
jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
Crock Pot Kalua Pig

Servings: about 8 • Serving Size: 4 oz • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 160 • Fat: 7 g • Protein: 24 g • Carb: 0 g • Fiber: 0 g • Sugar: 0 g

Kalua Pig is popular at Hawaiian luaus where a whole pig is smoked in a sand pit with sea salt, banana leaves and koa wood. This simple crock pot method mimics the smoked flavor of using natural liquid smoke and the results are an easy, mouth-watering, juicy pork recipe anyone can make at home. Perfect for your next Luau!

Ingredients:

3 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
1 tbsp liquid mesquite smoke
1 tbsp coarse sea salt

Directions:

Place pork in the crock pot and stab it all over with the tip of a knife. Rub sea salt all over pork. Drizzle the liquid smoke all over and set crock pot to low; cook about 16 hours.

Remove from crock pot and place on a large platter. Remove any fat you may have missed and shred pork with two forks. Discard liquid reserving a little as needed to keep pork moist.

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I make this....it's yummy. We just call it pulled pork : )
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I found this recipe online a few years ago and it is AWESOME and one of our favorites. It is great leftover as hash with spinach and garlic and shallots, great in tacos and nachos too! We use steamed corn tortillas and shredded cabbage for tacos (and fat free sour cream) :love:
  • robintellez
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I had Kalua Pig in Hawaii a few years ago and it was amazing! I think I know what dinner is tomorrow!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    We just had this for dinner last night (but not cooked in the crock pot) .. With steamed rice and spinach. Sooooo ono. :)