Inaccurate Scale

Options
Hello All,

So I have a scale, that I think is kicking the bucket. I step on it...it gives me a number about 10 lbs higher than I am....and then I have to step on it again to give me an 'accurate' reading (I check this twice to make sure). I noticed that this scale is off from the medical scale in the gym (my scale seems less than the scale at the gym). I am not really sure by how much (I am guessing 2 pounds)...as I weigh myself naked in the morning, but when I go to the gym sometimes I have already eaten and I am wearing clothes.

So I bought a new scale. I noticed this scale (a different brand) does the same thing! I weight myself and it's about 3-5 pounds higher than when I get on it a few times after. This scale is 1 pound less than my old one....with my hardcore scientific weighing....jumping on one then the other :open_mouth:

At this part in my journey, it's not the biggest deal, as I am going for deficts, not overall number....but as I get closer to goal, it will definately matter. Can anyone recommend a scale that is, and stays accurate?? I was thinking of the Aria, but I weigh myself everyday because of water retention issues, and I don't want my weight to sync everyday.

Any Thoughts?

Replies

• jpdeft
    jpdeft Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Honestly if you have any weights laying around like 10lb or 5lb, then put it on your scale and see how accurate it is. I always test the scale with a weight before I weigh myself. If the scale reads 20 pounds when you have a 10lb weight on it, then you just subtract 10 pounds off of what the scale tells you.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Odds are also high that the "medical" scale in your gym is out of calibration (or has never been calibrated). Those types of scales need calibrating fairly often and things like weather,temperature, time of year, humidity, etc, all can alter the way a scale reads.
  • iriemama85
    iriemama85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you move your scale at all? I have a small bathroom so I need to put my scale away each time I use it. Well for a few weeks I was getting really upset because I hadn't lost any weight. I happened to look at the back of the scale and it said that if you move the scale you have to first step on it, disregard the first reading and then step on it again for your true weight.
  • Weary33
    Weary33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    iriemama85 wrote: »
    Do you move your scale at all? I have a small bathroom so I need to put my scale away each time I use it. Well for a few weeks I was getting really upset because I hadn't lost any weight. I happened to look at the back of the scale and it said that if you move the scale you have to first step on it, disregard the first reading and then step on it again for your true weight.

Oooooo maybe that is why. I have to take my out to use....and I often disregard the first reading anyway....and take the two that are the same afterward. I never even thought that moving it would cause the first reading to be wrong.

Apparently I should do some research, I didn't know that Medical Scales had to be calibrated either!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The fact that you move it is why it's giving you weird numbers. It has to settle itself in the new spot to be accurate.

What I sometimes do is just press down lightly - just enough to wake up the scale - and wait for it to go on, then off. Then I'll weigh myself.

They get really confused when you move them since they're not balanced anymore. If possible, leave yours out in the same place. But, if your bathroom is too small, just make sure you're not throwing it around and being rough when you move it :)

~Lyssa
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Keep it in the same place, notice the trend, if it is accurate or not is less relevant or not then the trend
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Check the floor where your scales are, mine dont work in a paricular corner due to some odd floor boards! A tiled floor is best :)