Heart rate monitor?

Options
Just curious what everyone uses to watch their heart rate when working out. Trying to find one but not trying to pay $200. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just something that tells me if I go out of my heart rate zone. Thank you! :)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout?
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What kind of workout?
    I do a lot of cardio.
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, very good investment.
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You should be able to find a decent Polar or Nike C5 type monitor (chest strap and watch combo) for around $80 - $120 or so. Different models are higher or lower in that range. I've had both and they work well, whether you are using the watch to keep track or in many cases the newer cardio machines will pick up the transmitted HR from the chest strap while wearing it.

I think there are also just the watches that can take HR without the chest strap, but no experience with those.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What kind of workout?
    I do a lot of cardio.
    For most of my cardio:
    Polar FT1 - very basic and pretty awful.
    Polar FT7 - nice watch, not particularly reliable signal, galloped though batteries, short lifespan before total failure.
    Polar FT60 - nice watch, very reliable, easy battery change, configurable with own max HR and VO2 max settings. Recommended.

For cycling:
    Garmin edge.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone you can get a Polar H7 for about $80. You can then use an app on your phone to track you HR.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Scosche Rhythm plus. It sits on my lower arm somewhere and I don't notice it at all. I do need bluetooth and a smartphone app to record the data though. But I'm using that anyway for running. The sensor costs about 70 USD.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT7 with chest strap is a great device and very accurate.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A second for the polar ft4 it's relatively cheap and easy to use. Tells you time, length of work out, heart rate and calories burned. I love mine :)
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Fitbit charge hr works for me, needs recharging evrry 3 days which id a pain but they are alot cheaper now
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I live my polar ft7 with the chest strap, where it every time I work out
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 220 for my runs. It's a great device with the HR strap which, for accuracy is important over the wrist based. It's pricey though. I used the strap for 2 months and haven't used it since because I realized it's not important as I should and do listen to my body.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Any of the polar watches with a heart rate strap. :)
  • BrittanyWaitersNevitt
    Options
    If you have a newer smart phone you might have one included as an app! I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and it comes with a sensor with S Health. Saved me a lot of money.
  • dewd2
    Options
    If you have a newer smart phone you might have one included as an app! I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and it comes with a sensor with S Health. Saved me a lot of money.

You hold your finger on your phone the entire time you are working out?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Here's a site where you can compare for what you need. For steady state cardio, something with a chest strap would be a better choice. The polar H7 sensor has bluetooth to sync to your phone and will also sync with most cardio equipment to control level and resistance by your selected heart rate.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't use one. I just use a mathematical formula that takes less than a minute to compute and is more accurate then a HRM.
  • StencilChild
    StencilChild Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I also use the Polar FT7. I like the audible alert if I go beyond my heart rate range. It also has a feature that shows you if you are in the fitness zone, or fat burn zone. Only cost me around $100. The FT7 is also compatible with the H7 Sensor, which has a bluetooth feature. So not only can you see/track the information from the watch unit, but you can sync it to your phone/computer pretty easily.

If you are just wanting a pretty basic HR monitor, then go with the FT4. A bit cheaper, lacks some of the more extensive features, records 10 workouts (opposed to the 99 of the FT7), but will definitely get the job done.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Keep in mind that 'fitness zone' and 'fat burn zone' are marketing terms and have little value for weight loss. Zones are only important for training for something (and they are simply called zone 1, zone 2, etc.).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I just bought a Scosche Rhythm plus. It sits on my lower arm somewhere and I don't notice it at all. I do need bluetooth and a smartphone app to record the data though. But I'm using that anyway for running. The sensor costs about 70 USD.

2nd the Scosche Rhythm+. Just make sure you get the new one and not the old Rhythm. The sensor's been upgraded and it's more accurate. The old one was comparable to every other watch-type HRM on the market. You'll know you've found the wrong one if the cost is ~$40.