Vegans/vegetarians/or trying!?

I would love some friends who are trying to adopt a more veggie lifestyle! :)

Replies

• Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    I'm vegan :)
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Vegan! But not exactly a paragon of health :P
  • lalibertejenn7
    lalibertejenn7 Posts: 6 Member
    Vegan! But not exactly a paragon of health :P

Haha yes, it can be tricky!! Probably why I'm not a complete vegan.. At least at this stage of my life, it's not quite achievable/sustainable in a healthy way
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I'm a pescetarian, but I live the veggie life 4-5 days a week.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    I try and be as vegan as possible.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,131 Member
    OMP33 wrote: »

You know Gummy Bears are barely vegetarian, much less vegan?
  • PollyEH
    PollyEH Posts: 21 Member
    I'm vegetarian, slowly becoming vegan. Add me!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Prepare to see your health suffer! You'll be back!! ;)
  • DebsH20
    DebsH20 Posts: 2 Member
    Just trying to incorporate more veggie eating...have done a month following a vegetarian diet, now a month on vegan. And trying to get fitter at the same time so getting a good balance of nutrients is the challenge.
  • BryanDowd
    BryanDowd Posts: 2 Member
    I recently switched to vegan. Would love to be a part of a group that is veggie/vegan to get ideas on nutrition
  • nataliejan13
    nataliejan13 Posts: 2 Member
    I am currently (slowly!) transitioning from a vegetarian diet to a vegan diet. I'd love to have a group of like minded people to share ideas with. My diary is currently open as well (although I've never claimed to be the epitome of health!)
  • Zmac34
    Zmac34 Posts: 32 Member
    Whole food organic Vegan checking in. I started in 2010 with the speech from Gary Yourofsky. This led to me watching countless documentries and reading many books and studies from Earthlings, to Forks over knives, to vegucated, to the China Study, to the blue zones, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4 Best speech ever
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpPRi7st8pY Earthlings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19qSsUI79Ro VEGUCATED
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fup4zuUXn8E Forks over knives
    http://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454864537&sr=8-1&keywords=china+study CHINA STUDY
    http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Zones-Second-Lessons-Longest/dp/1426209487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454864571&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+zones BLUE ZONES
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    I've been working on transitioning to a whole food, plant-based diet. It's hard because I'm trying to win the family over, as well.
  • citizenkade23
    citizenkade23 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I've been vegan for the last 7 years, and own a vegan restaurant. It's a really great way to live!
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Add me! I'm mostly plant-based. I was a vegetarian for two years, moved back home for awhile, and since I wasn't the one buying groceries for most of that stretch, the vegetarian thing went out the window. I've since given up on being totally plant-based, since my body has let me know that it needs meat on several occasions. Still, most meat grosses me out, so I stick with salmon when I need more protein.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Hi! I've been vegan for the last 7 years, and own a vegan restaurant. It's a really great way to live!

I love vegan restaurants!
  • OMP33

I have gummy bears made with agar agar, no gelatin in them.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    I've been a science based vegan for over a decade now. And I also love Vegan restaurants... they keep me well fed, although sometimes I wish I could get more protein at them regularly. My goals as a bodybuilder tend to keep me in a high-ish protein diet.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I've been a science based vegan for over a decade now. And I also love Vegan restaurants... they keep me well fed, although sometimes I wish I could get more protein at them regularly. My goals as a bodybuilder tend to keep me in a high-ish protein diet.

What is a science based vegan?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    New to veganism my first week! Anyone can add me!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited February 2016
    Meaning, simply that I follow science, scientific studies, and actual evidence based approaches. Many of the Vegans that I've known personally in my local area follow anecdotal evidence or "the feels" more than anything else. I'm strictly referring to nutrition advice regarding dietary intake and not philosophical reasons. My philosophical reasons align with the core values of Veganism in general.

*Edited to correct spelling.
  • Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    Vegan here for over 2 years and veggie for 5 before that! Anybody add me if they'd like :smile:
  • PudgyPanda91
    PudgyPanda91 Posts: 72 Member
    I'm vegetarian for six months today! :)

Not necessarily eating as healthily as I could be though.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Vegetable based doesn't necessarily mean vegetarian. I know vegetarians and vegans who barely eat any fruit or vegetables, and plenty of omnivores who eat lots of vegetables. :s
    Good luck with your goals!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Right, so you just don't log accurately then? Because the brand listed in your diary contains gelatine.
  • OMP33
    edited February 2016
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Right, so you just don't log accurately then? Because the brand listed in your diary contains gelatine.

I typed in gummy bears in my search and they came up so thats what I put. If I'm having pasta for dinner one night, I'm not hunting down the exact brand of pasta. I use MFP as an estimation so I don't choose all the correct type brands of food.

I'll change it if it makes you feel better.
  • zula154
    zula154 Posts: 3 Member
    I am vegan 95% of the time. The only time I usually have a little dairy or eggs is when I go out to eat. I would love to talk to people who feel the same.
  • OMP33
    zula154 wrote: »
    I am vegan 95% of the time. The only time I usually have a little dairy or eggs is when I go out to eat. I would love to talk to people who feel the same.

Exactly what I do. I try to stay vegan throughout the day, but when being vegan stops me from enjoying a social situation with friends or family I'll give in to products made with dairy, eggs, and cheese. Just one meal and I'm back to being 95% vegan.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    I've been a vegetarian for 5 years.
  • HeathermRVT
    HeathermRVT Posts: 79 Member
    Vegetarian for 6 years now. Want to switch to vegan but right now my priority is health/weight loss so if staying vegetarian makes that easier for me then I'll stay for now. I eat a lot of "fake meats" and find it hard to not have that constant hungry feeling whenever I try to eat healthy. Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.